A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,664
Currently Running With Scissors:
630 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wet Felted slippers for xmas.  (Read 2930 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lexis
dreamer

waist deep

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 19, 2005 11:13:44 AM »

Hey Hey Felty Folks-
I am enjoying a nice (and rare) quiet lull with things today before all hell breaks loose for the holidays. Lol. WHY did i agree to that retail job this week???  Tongue  Tongue no good.
BUT to show my true intentions for the holiday- I too, and much like a lot of us on here- Have made mostly ALL my gifts this year. (well, except for the much anticipated shop to the dollar store for stocking stuffers.  Grin ) I made my man a well deserved pair of felt slippers.  Grin
This wool felt was made a few weeks ago by myself and my lovely hubby. It was a first attempt for the both of us, and i believe we are HOOKED!  Smiley We even have plans to join up with another couple to do some felting in the new year. lol! yay! felt rug here we come!!!
Okay- back to my point: I searched high and low for a slipper pattern that would work with my limited amount of co-created felt. And Wah-Lah! Whattya know- i found a link to curved toe slippers a la ancient eastern style.
http://www.vertetsable.com/demos_slippers.htm

I did my best copying the pattern off the computer screen, as santa is supposed to be bringing us a new printer this year.  Grin The toes didnt curve enough for my tastes, and overall its a pretty rough lookin' slipper...BUT after piercing my fingers 100 times with the surgical needle i was using (not your average needle!!I needed it for the leather -NOT my fingers!  Tongue ) and ripping the right foot apart 3 times- i settled, and just finished her off. I used a leather strap reinforcement for the heel and the outer sole is also leather. Nice and thick stuff.
I hope he likes them...blood sweat and tears included..Sorry for the bad pic here- i guess i have to dust the mirror. haha.

me wearing them- they are Soooooo Cozy!!! yum.

side close up- ignore the shitty stitching there on the side. whatever. lol...

Top view- There were two small pieces of felt in different colours, so i used the yellow stuff for the sole lining. Also just used a big ol' heavy blanket stitch for the whole thing, with black embroidery floss and on the back, used blue wool upholstery yarn.
works for me.  Smiley
I liked making these- its super easy to do , and now that i've gotten the feel of it- i think all that extra leather would come in handy to make more curved toe slippers.
anyhoo- hope you like.   Smiley
Oh- And i should take advantage of saying to all-
Happy happy and merry merry to all of you this year! I hope the new year brings you much joy, peace, love and abundance of all your favourite things.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005 11:24:17 AM »

Those are so cute! I have a pair of similar felt slippers that I bought years ago and still love.

NOW...more importantly: where did you find a crafty man who felts with you??? Couples felting? THAT's what I want for Christmas! That's so cool!

Batgirl
single craftster
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
GraceOblivious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005 12:54:21 PM »

Wheeeeee Haaaaaawwwwww!!  Those are wonderful.  They look as good (ah in some cases, actually better)as any slipers I've seen in felting books.   Use of the felt, choice of style, sturdy construction all rate high in my eyes!!   

Love your idea of felting with another couple in the New Year.

You rock!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy http://www.feltsewcrafty.etsy.com
Zibbet http://www.zibbet.com/aTranquilNook
Blog http://aTranquilNook.blogspot.com/
Oh how I love to Sew and Make felt
lexis
dreamer

waist deep

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005 02:33:26 PM »

NOW...more importantly: where did you find a crafty man who felts with you??? Couples felting? THAT's what I want for Christmas! That's so cool!

Batgirl
single craftster
bwahhaha! Believe me when i say that sometimes even I am amazed at his tendency to dig everything I'm doing! Hes crazy, really. thats why we get along so well.  Wink  Cheesy thanks for the compliments.

Wheeeeee Haaaaaawwwwww!!  Those are wonderful.  They look as good (ah in some cases, actually better)as any slipers I've seen in felting books.   Use of the felt, choice of style, sturdy construction all rate high in my eyes!!  

Love your idea of felting with another couple in the New Year.

You rock!!
Thanks- there's something about making something so practical by hand.its truly primitive. and its fun to beat the felt! I think that's really why guys like it so much. they get to be manly making felt. harhar.
Will try to take some wacky pics of the couple feltmaking venture and post em just for kicks. should involve at least a couple bottles of wine.... heehee.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

radal16
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005 05:59:23 AM »

Those slippers are awesome!  I really like how they look like marble.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mata
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005 07:05:57 AM »

Lovely!!! I *MUST* learn how to felt...........  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lexis
dreamer

waist deep

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005 07:25:28 AM »

Those slippers are awesome!  I really like how they look like marble.
Now that you mention it...they do dont they? hah! never even thought of that.  Cheesy

Lovely!!! I *MUST* learn how to felt...........  Tongue

Its super easy.. just need some wet, some patience and some hidden agression. lol!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mata
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005 08:10:51 AM »

Its super easy.. just need some wet, some patience and some hidden agression. lol!!!
1. can find
2. lack -- will down n-teenth bottle of bach flowers :-)
3. plenty!!
So I'am all set and ready to go!!! YAYYY!!   Wink
 I'll try, I promise. I looove slippers and I love felt.. So felt slippers is WOW!! I have bookmarked this thread.. my first attempt at this new craftster feature
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005 08:13:40 AM »

And I will join "crafty man harmony .com" NO! I will buy some roving! yes!  Wink  Grin  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
lexis
dreamer

waist deep

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005 08:57:45 AM »

Have you gals seen the traditional mongolian wet felting post by janedoe? If no here it is-
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=56350.0
This is what i used and it is easy, fun and even more fun with friends (thank you muchly jane)- Enjoy and let me/us all know how it goes.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Oscar Party Fashion: Jennifer Lawrence and Nina Dobrev Celebrate in Style
2013 Oscars Fashion
Star Crush: Chic, Stylish, Effortless Charlize Theron
Street Chic: Shoreditch, London Style
$50 Dollar Makeovers With Rachael Ray
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...