A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,209
Currently Running With Scissors:
459 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Christmas Present KAL- February (Hats)  (Read 4707 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

orangeabsinthe

On the eighth day, God created beer!

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2005 12:15:40 AM »

Ok, I know there was the Christmas Craft Along for 2005 - http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=19998.0,
and a new one started for 2006- http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=67509.0, but I'm not really interested in making some of the things included...So how about simply a prepare for Xmas 2006 Knit along?  It could look something like this....
Jan.- Scarves
Feb.- Hats
March- Mittens/Gloves
April- Socks
May- Baby Items
June- Household Items (Pillows, throws, etc.), Kitchen Items (tea Cozies, dishcloths)
July- Bags, purses, wallets, ect.
August- "Warmers" (arm, leg, wrist, ears, etc) and Cozies (ipod and cell phone)
September- Toys
October- Misc. items (anything I've forgotten!)
November- Knitting for Charity!
December- Christmas Decorations and finishing

Ok, I've started a Google groups (I like the google groups better, because I don't have a yahoo ID, and to get one they make you fill in your life history, practically.  Google just asks for your e-mail).  If you want to sign up to get weekly reminders, encouragement, and tips, please go  here- http://groups.google.com/group/Christmaskal and sign up.  I promise not to flood your mailbox with e-mails!

*EDIT*
I'm changing the list again! I totally forgot bags and purses and such.  Now household and kitchen items are one month.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006 10:29:55 PM by orangeabsinthe » THIS ROCKS   Logged
knits_with_animals
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005 08:54:57 PM »

Sounds great.  Since I am finding  myself knitting Christmas gifts at the last minute (again) I could stand a little organization in 2006.  April will be a bit of a challenge though--I'm notorious for making one sock and wishing the second would show up on it's own some how...........How about making November a time to do some service projects?  We could find local groups to donate to--I've donated to a couple of different Catholic charities and my local VA hospital in the past (just a thought).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shan
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005 09:21:44 PM »

I love the idea. I already planned to start asap on next year. Perhaps this would actually make me start. I also like the idea of knitting for charity.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused. - annonymous
orangeabsinthe

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005 07:25:38 AM »

April will be a bit of a challenge though--I'm notorious for making one sock and wishing the second would show up on it's own some how...........
I've never done socks before, but I hear this is the case.  My purpose for this KAL is not only for Xmas presents, but for encouragement and motivation to get through projects.  Also, i have so many projects I want to do, i think breaking them down into specific months will help with the knitting project ADD.  I've heard that if you only work on one project at a time, it gets done much faster...
Also, you don't have to follow these exact guidelines.  <----That's just what they are.

I also like your idea for knitting for charity.  Instead of doing it just one month, we could give all year!  Like if you make some extra hats, you could donate.  Ok, I just had a great Idea.  We can move Christmas Stockings to Dec (I put it in Aug for some strange reason, I was just brainstorming) and make Dec. Christmas Decorations....move everything up a month and make November donate to charity...

Also, I'm starting a google group as we speak.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
findingher
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005 11:07:53 PM »

I would do this, but I think that perhaps some of the months could stand to be changed (for me at least). I tend to make the winter gifties like scarves and hats closer to the actual holiday- reason being, I don't know what half of my friends/family have for winter wear till it's time to pull it out of the closet! Despite that, I think I'd love to join anyway Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artery

...did you ever know that you're my hero...?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005 11:24:27 PM »

considering i was frantically knitting 2 remaining FEET of the liesel scarf tonight, i think being more prepared for next year would be fabulous.  that way, next mid december i won't decide to undertake my very first lace project and think i would comfortably be done in time for christmas.  btw, i did finish it, and i will block tomorrow, for a monday gift exchange.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

....and we rock harder than you ever knew....
crafty mama
ooh. snap crackle poop.

I'm a llama's mama!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2005 11:37:10 AM »

Any attempts to keep my knitting organized (or on schedule) are totally welcome. I'm in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Under my mattress
I keep boxes of beautiful dreams
And late at night
When no ones in sight
They come out and whisper to me - J,LC
rockfullofawesome
Oh man...

It's a craft to the death...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2005 11:18:18 PM »

I'm in! I was in such a mad rush to finish stuff this year, that I'm going to need to start right away to get anything done on time for '06.

Whew. I'm glad this X-Mas is over  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artery

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2005 06:11:30 PM »

seconded rockfullofawesome.... everyone in my town demanded coffee (i work at the *bucks) and by the 23rd, i was totally scrooging.  yay for next xmas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

orangeabsinthe

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005 09:41:07 AM »

I would do this, but I think that perhaps some of the months could stand to be changed (for me at least). I tend to make the winter gifties like scarves and hats closer to the actual holiday- reason being, I don't know what half of my friends/family have for winter wear till it's time to pull it out of the closet! Despite that, I think I'd love to join anyway Smiley
You don't HAVE to do the months in this specific order.  I did them this way because it seemed like a slight progression from easiest to hardest.  If you want to knit whatever any month, that's cool.  Just post your pics so everyone can admire!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alikinch
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2005 06:47:20 PM »

I'm in.  I definitely have knitter's ADD & have LOTS of projects i want to complete this next year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
orangeabsinthe

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2006 10:22:11 AM »

Whohoo! January has begun, and we will begin on scarves!  Are there any particular scarf patterns you plan on doing?  This is my to-do list for scarves-
Yorick from knitty
Wavy from knitty
Yo drop it from SNBN
Danica from Knitty
Wavy Gravy from SNBN
maybe a few more if I finish these in a timely fashion!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knits_with_animals
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2006 04:34:06 PM »

I think I'll start with finishing my son's S 'n B Alien scarf.  Then next on my list is Liesel  (can be found under scarves at knittingpatterncentral.com) and a Paton's lace scarf that's languishing in my travel knitting bag.  I bought some Shimmer from KnitPicks so I can make the Airy scarf from Last Minute Gifts.  My husband is hoping I,ll find the time to make the Linux Illusion scarf in time for Penguicon.  Now if I can just finish these hats.............
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alikinch
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2006 06:48:45 PM »

I want to do the arches & columns lace scarf http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns/KidMerino-LaceScarf-pink.html & a cable scarf.  I also have to make a scarf/hat for my aunt's b-day before Jan 31.

I first have to finish a baby blanket for my nephew on the way & slippers for my mom (a belated xmas present).

I'd better get off this site & start knitting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shan
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006 03:39:58 PM »

I think I am going to focus on people rather than items. January I am going to knit for BIL, SIL and niece, who live in Ohio. A scarf and hat set for each. Hopefully I will be able to bust some of my stash.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused. - annonymous
orangeabsinthe

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2006 09:05:47 PM »

I think I am going to focus on people rather than items. January I am going to knit for BIL, SIL and niece, who live in Ohio. A scarf and hat set for each.
Such a great idea!  Especially for people who don't like the progression of months...

I also hope to bust some of my stash.  I'm actually finishing the Branching out scarf from Knitty, that was supposed to be finished by Christmas 2005, but of course I didn't quite get it done.  Then I'm prolly going to start Wavy from knitty because I have yarn in my stash for it, and I don't have any money to buy new yarn! lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
orangeabsinthe

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2006 02:54:29 PM »

Here's a pic of Branching out scarf I've been working on.  I've done about 15 pattern repeats and it is almost 2 feet long.  I still have a little more than half a skein of yarn left. 

This pic is horrible and doesn't show the color at all.  It is really dark green with a rainbow thread running through.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
findingher
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2006 08:46:29 PM »

I'm actually glad the starting month is scarves- I'm working on a scarf for my boyfriend's father, a Crazy Aunt Purl's "Magic Scarf" in a reddish brown Peace Fleece wool. Very, very manly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rockfullofawesome
Oh man...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2006 03:05:00 PM »

Well, apparently I don't know how to read because I was like "Oh yeah, January, eh? Hats. Most deffinetly."

So, I've been making hats, I'll make scarves next month  Grin

I'll take some pictures soon and upload them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

orangeabsinthe

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2006 11:54:23 AM »

Yay!  I finished my branching out scarf.  I blocked it last night, and this morning I wrapped it to give my grandmother tonight at dinner.  I forgot to take pics, but maybe I can get my grandmother to model for me!

I also just finished a garter stitch scarf in some yarn I had in my stash.  Here's a picture of it on the needles.  I haven't taken another pic yet.

Sorry its sideways.  I used Red Heart Light and lofty i think its called.  The scarf if very soft and fluffy.

Next up, I finishing a hat for a swap, then I'm going to start the Yorick scarf from knitty.  Anyone made this one?  I'm going to do it in pink and a different yarn.  I checked out the yarn they called for, and I just don't have any money to buy it.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Madeleine09
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2006 12:42:17 PM »

Oooo.... I am all about this Knitalong. I decided the day after Christmas that I was going to try and make 1 or 2 gifts a month, to spread out the work and money. I will definitely keep this post with my progress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artery

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2006 09:33:06 AM »

i am nearly through with my liesel, and i got bored last night... so what did i do? made a goofy hat with an argyle fair isle pattern, and a long i-cord at the top with a pom-pom on it.  it's fun! and i'm going to make matching mittens when i get to the mittens month.  i think the next couple of scarves i do are going to be a little less time consuming, so i can get at least a total of 3 done this month.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artery

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2006 10:42:03 AM »

sooo..... anyone still working on x-mas 06? Huh
i finished my liesel, and i finished the hat and mittens.  a friend at work saw them and flipped out! so i gave them to her and said happy late christmas.  oh well.  one scarf down, and lots of work still to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

orangeabsinthe

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2006 11:45:42 AM »

I just finished some hats, lol, I know its not hat month!  One was for a swap, but the other two are possible future xmas or birthday presents for my boyfriend's brother and sister!  I will post pics soon.

Also I'm working on Knitty's Yorick scarf.  I've finished making the skull and its about 2 feet long now.  I like the plain stockinette body because its easy to work on during class!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rockfullofawesome
Oh man...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2006 11:12:20 PM »

Right now I have completely finished one hat, am about 2/3 finished with a second, finishing the first skull on an illusion scarf, and am about 1/2 finished with a shrug.

*Sigh*

I can never just follow instructions  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

orangeabsinthe

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2006 11:59:16 PM »

Right now I have completely finished one hat, am about 2/3 finished with a second, finishing the first skull on an illusion scarf, and am about 1/2 finished with a shrug.

*Sigh*

I can never just follow instructions  Grin
OMG...you just reminded me that I wanted to knit an illusion scarf for a friend...has anyone done a crescent moon illusion scarf?  Do you know where I could find a chart for one or give me a little help on how to make one???
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artery

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2006 10:18:51 AM »

so yeah, the way i'm figuring is that the months were a loose guideline as to what we need to be doing.  just as long as we're knitting, right?  i'm working on my clap, and i'm also knitting some soon to be felted clogs for my hubby.  it's a practice pair, so i will be kntting more... probably not in the right month. Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

orangeabsinthe

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2006 01:33:00 PM »

so yeah, the way i'm figuring is that the months were a loose guideline as to what we need to be doing.  just as long as we're knitting, right?  i'm working on my clap, and i'm also knitting some soon to be felted clogs for my hubby.  it's a practice pair, so i will be kntting more... probably not in the right month. Embarrassed
lol, that's the one i forgot...the felted clogs month!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rockfullofawesome
Oh man...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2006 11:22:30 PM »

OMG...you just reminded me that I wanted to knit an illusion scarf for a friend...has anyone done a crescent moon illusion scarf?  Do you know where I could find a chart for one or give me a little help on how to make one???

There is totally a website... *looks through bookmarks*

Aha, here it is:
http://www.jigsawknits.co.uk/illusioncreate.html

It gives directions on how to create your own illusion pattern. I would just graph out a moon on some graphing paper or in excel or something, and then follow the directions on the site.

Happy mooning!

Erm...

Anyway. I totally got a spinning wheel today, along with 3 pounds of white wool roving. So, needless to say, some of my upcomming projects shall be completely handspun. Ahhhh... it feels so DIY to say that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artery

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2006 12:50:28 PM »

rockfullofawesome -

i'm totally there too! one of the ladies in my lys brought me back a fleece from scotland, so i'm going to be spinning most of my yarn from here on out.  it's a merino/shetland crossbreed, springy and soft... doesn't it feel great to get down to the roots of a craft (ie: spinning your own yarn)

xcat
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rockfullofawesome
Oh man...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2006 03:48:52 PM »

Oh, totally. It's like.... I feel so super crafty right now it's rediculous  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

orangeabsinthe

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2006 10:21:40 PM »

wow!  my boyfriend's dad is buying me a spinning wheel as a bday present!  i'm so excited.  this could become the xmas present spin-then-knit-a-long...

anyway, i completed another foot or so of my yorick scarf...should finish up soon...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
orangeabsinthe

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2006 10:44:11 PM »

Wow, one month down...only 326 knitting day left until Christmas!  What did everyone complete this past month?  I finished-
3 hats (2 to be future xmas presents, one for a swap)
Here is the swap recipient, irid3sc3nt, wearing her hat.

A branching out scarf, late 2005 xmas gift
A red white and blue fluffy garter stitch scarf, future present for my boyfriend's mom.
Plus I've started working on the Yorick scarf (more than half done, and I've just decided what to do with it!) and another hat for a swap.  I guess I didn't get as much done as I had wanted, but this month has been extremely busy.

But now its February, which means hat time.  I love making hats the best.  My hopefuls to complete this February include a Tychus hat from Knitty, which I'll have to keep on the DL cuz I want to give it to my boyfriend.  I also need to finish up a Cabled Newsboy cap (my first cables, yay!)...I've finished the body but I still need to knit the bill.  I also have 2 hats and a panta(hey its head gear, it counts!) that I need to make for swap.  Busy busy busy...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rockfullofawesome
Oh man...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2006 11:42:16 AM »

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the colors on that hat!!! I would also love to see pictures of your other items, if you can post 'em. I will post pictures of what I've been working on, as soon as I weave some ends in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rockfullofawesome
Oh man...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2006 06:05:55 PM »

Ok, it's official. I'm totally nuts over knitting. Right now I have Five, count 'em, FIVE projects going. 4 scarves and 1 hat.

And I just bought some more yarn today  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artery

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2006 09:20:55 AM »

i am slowly working my way through the clap, but i have the yarn and beads to knit odessa.  i will probably knit a few of them, since they're gorgeous.  how are you guys on this month?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Madeleine09
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2006 09:24:39 AM »

I haven't really done anything for christamas yet. I was knitting soley for christmas since september last year, so I have been doing some projects for myself lately. When march rolls around i am going to make my dad's present. I am making him a hat/mitten/scarf set in his college alma mater's colors, because he has been hinting he wanted a scarf in those colors since i learned how to knit. Then i figure I will make like one person's present a month, depending on how time-consuming they are.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

apandalee
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2006 09:32:58 AM »

Wow I'm so impressed by how organized everyone is! I have no idea what I'm getting most people on my "list". Heck, I don't even have a list yet! Hmm one thing I do know though is that I want to make my little cousin something because he gave me an awesome present and I just signed my family's card for his last year! Only problem is, he is an 18 year old college freshman, very mainstream. Not sure what cool thing I could make him that he'd actually wear =/ Any ideas???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rockfullofawesome
Oh man...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2006 12:17:51 AM »

Heck, I don't even have a list yet!

Only problem is, he is an 18 year old college freshman, very mainstream. Not sure what cool thing I could make him that he'd actually wear =/ Any ideas???

I have five people I know for sure I am going to knit something for... besides that, I have no clue. I have been collecting yarn I like when it's on sale or I have a coupon or something, and I am going to just knit stuff that I like. Then, come Christmas I should have a fair about of stuff to choose from for those other people that inevitably I feel compelled to give something to.

As far as your cousin, does he wear scarves? Like, I have found that those a pretty safe  bet, and the possibilities are endless. But I dated a guy once who refuses to wear scarves because it "makes him look like a hipster fa660t". Needless to say, we are no longer dating. Jerk.

But I digress...

I am making the Mens cashmere scarf in the Last Minute Knitted Gifts book (althought not from cashmere), and I really love it. The color they suggest is masculine, and the stitch is really awesome, whether you are a man, a woman, a donkey, whatever.

What about an illustion scarf? Maybe a skul, or a alien? Or make you own? On one of the eariler pages I posted a link to a create your own illustion pattern thingy, maybe check that out.

Good luck, let us know what you end up with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

apandalee
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2006 06:36:47 AM »

Thanks for the ideas! I was thinking an illusion scarf with soccer balls since he loves soccer, but I was a little confused about the how to make your own pattern directions, so I might just do a skully thing first and then try to make my own pattern. or just fudge around until I come up with something soccer ball esque
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rockfullofawesome
Oh man...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2006 09:04:34 PM »

Tt looks waaaay more complicated than it is... I bet if you take a few minutes you can totally figure it out! Let me know if you need any help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

orangeabsinthe

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2006 09:24:24 PM »

Hey everyone, jjust a little check-in  How's the christmas knitting going?  Any new pics?

I have been a bad knitter.  I have gone this whole week without touching my needles!!!  I can't believe it.  Last time I knit something was last saturday when I was driving (well my boyfriend was driving actually) on my way to santa fe (1 hr away).  I started to cast on for a hat and completely messed up and had to rip it out 2x (kept getting twisted, don't you hate that?).  Just got frustrated and put it down, and haven't picked up anything since.  I have no UFOs right now and i don't feel like casting on. UGh!  Frustrating!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rockfullofawesome
Oh man...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2006 12:54:45 AM »

Heh, I have so many UFOs I might as well be Area 51. Seriously.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

orangeabsinthe

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2006 10:45:00 PM »

Heh, I have so many UFOs I might as well be Area 51. Seriously.

I know!  Usually I have a bunch of projects going, but for some reason I've finished them all.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
artery

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2006 10:32:50 AM »

ummmm yeah.  so i got distracted by the knitting olympics, and have been trying to finish a pair of freaking socks in 16 days.  normally, that wouldn't be a problem, but i forgot that i work 3 jobs.  lets say that with only 6 days to go, i'm only 75% finished with the first sock.  oh well.  i can't wait to finish my clap and get going on odessa.  i will most likely finish only one hat this month, but heck, one is better than none.  and i am only 75% finished with knitting the first clog.  feh.  so much for staying on top of things.  but on the upside, i will have a few christmas presents!  (btw, i'm keeping my paintbox liesel... one gift down for me, a lot more for everyone else to go!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rockfullofawesome
Oh man...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2006 02:29:54 PM »

I totally feel like a chump 'cause I haven't posted anything. However, my quater at Uni ends in two weeks, and on my week off (totally not enough, if you ask me... but no one did) I am going to do what I can to finish as many of my UFOs as possible. As of right now I'm working on...

Last minute gifts Mens Cashmere scarf
Piano scarf
Last minute Earflap hat
This scarf from a free pattern I picked up at Michaels
Crazy 80s legwarmers
Skull illusion scarf, which I think is going to get the axe
This pixie hat thing I saw on the FO board and decided I could make. It has stripes  Shocked

Anyway, I want to finish the Piano Scarf, the Free Pattern Scarf, and the Cashmere Scarf in that week. Hmmm.... and the legwarmers.

Oyvey.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
7-Year-Old Shows Off The Book He Wrote About Robots
Mein Kampf Is Still A Best Seller?
Simon Sinek on Working With a Book Editor to Refine Your Writing
Simon Sinek on Learning a New Way to Write a Book
Simon Sinek on Improving Writing Skills by Embracing the Unfamiliar
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...