A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,961
Currently Running With Scissors:
450 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Christmas presents...chain maile jewelry  (Read 1535 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alohamom2three
I really should be sleeping...

Wow...can't believe I won something!

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2005 01:48:17 PM »

Well, I got inspired by some of hawkwolfs stuff and ordered what seemed like a billion rings.  After a lot of playing and a really sore neck, I finished my christmas presents what do you think?

This one I'm keeping...

I made two simple two on two chains...

I tried the ever popular byzantine in some cool colors!

This is pretty much freeform..a one on one chain and a little playing at the bottom then a simple glass bead at the bottom

And finally..a bracelet made of O-rings...interesting Roll Eyes

Hope you like them...thanks for looking! Grin
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011 07:21:43 PM by TheSapphireMoon - Reason: fix -med issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am always doing what I don't know how to do, in order to learn how to do it. -Vincent Van Gogh
liquorice
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005 02:08:49 PM »

Those are absolutely gorgeous!!! I love the blue and yellow one and the one with the glass bead pendant. Great work!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You do it to yourself, you do, and that's why it really hurts.
You do it to yourself, just you, you and no one else.

Radiohead
Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005 02:10:35 PM »

That's the purdiest chain maille I've ever seen! Nice work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005 02:41:25 PM »

I dig the bracelet, and the magenta on purple/blue necklace... I know this is probably written all over already, but where'dya buy the rings?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
j_en

Just stumbling through and trying my best.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005 02:59:43 PM »

I **love** these!  They are stunning and funky without being 'all over the place'.  I would love to make some (or maybe even buy one!).  Can you describe the materials and tools used?  Congratulations on producing something magnificent!
Cheers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen
tchrluv89
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005 03:10:05 PM »

they look great! Where did you get the links?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alohamom2three

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005 06:31:50 PM »

Thanks everyone!  I usually do beads so this is a first time experiment for me.  The rings are from www.theringlord.com
I got 16 guage 1/4 inch ID Anodized aluminum rings.  I used jewelry pliers and silicone covered straight pliers.  I put tape on the jewelry pliers because the finish on the aluminum scrapes off if you slip (and I slipped alot!).
I got most of my patterns from http://derakon.chainmailstore.com/inst.html
he has great instructions.  It looks really complicated at first but the more you practice, the easier it gets (isn't that true for everything Grin)
I didn't really have the right pliers...I needed chain nose pliers (you can buy those from ringlord) so I think it was harder than necessary. 
You can buy the rings in different guages..these were fairly thick so I couldn't really do some of the more intricate patterns that I would have liked so the next set of rings I'll get will include some thinner guages.
Just so you know...I ordered $60 worth of rings and made 8 necklaces, 3 bracelets and ten sets of chinese jacks (presents for all the kids in the family) so as far as expense....pretty cheap.
The ring lord has a great selection but although I put a rush on the order and had it shipped priority, it still took over two weeks.  They're located in Canada and I'm in Hawaii so that may have something to do with it.
Anyway...sorry to go on so long.  thanks for all the compliments! Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am always doing what I don't know how to do, in order to learn how to do it. -Vincent Van Gogh
spacekitten
Polymorph Expert

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005 07:01:06 AM »

Gorgeous!!!

I need to get off my butt and buy some 16g aluminum, I have a bad habbit of buying ennameled copper from the craft store, and they only have up to 18g.  The 16g looks chunkier and more awesome!

How hard was the aluminum to work with?

Oh, and you should look into getting this coating they have for pliers for working with metals that can get marred or scratched.  I think www.friemountaingems.com sells it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Art & Crafts Blog: Mage Weave
http://mageweave.wordpress.com/
daydreamer
Dream dreams. Always.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005 01:47:22 PM »

I'm very impressed.

I've been wondering about the chain-links- I'd assume that they're thicker than regular jump rings, so would they be harder open and close?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alohamom2three

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2005 03:57:24 PM »

The aluminum was pretty easy to work with even though it was thick guage.  The trick is definitely twisting your wrist and not trying to muscle it.  But for example, the two on two necklaces (purple and blue, and gold and blue) only took me a little less than an hour to do from start to finish and contain about 112 rings.  I usually make seed bead necklaces that take about three hours so this was pretty fast and easy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Ways to Wear Kimonos
Show Off Your Fall Style by Restoring Your Levis!
How to Get Fall Fashions for Less
Nicole Richie, Cody Simpson & Keke Palmer Show Us How To Accessorize
StyleList-TrendReport-092514.Mov
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...