A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
378 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scrapbook kit--where to buy?  (Read 1015 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bettylashes
« on: December 17, 2005 06:22:19 PM »

In the family holiday draw this year, my husband got our sister-in-law. We brainstormed and decided that a scrapbook kit would be the best gift for her. But we can't find them for sale anywhere! Eeek! Help! Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ERPilly
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005 07:12:30 PM »

Really?!
In the major chain craft stores and even Walmart, they seem to be overrun with scrapbook kits.  You mean a starter kit with papers, cut-outs, stickers, etc?  Should be there...

The pre-made kits tend to be VERY pricey (the whole hobby is way too commercial, which means big $$).  You could put your own together, and it might be even better.  Get a nice album or plain "scrapbook" (made with paper and bound up to be expandable, usually really cheap).  Then browse Hobby Lobby or craft store for papers, stickers, etc.  Things don't have to be made especially for scrapbooking, as long as they say acid-free, made-for-photos, etc.  Get fabric scraps, ribbons, trimmings, and anything else you think is pretty, at the craft store or thrift store.  Print out or gather up some of your favorite photos of her, your family, your husband, etc and put it all in a cool basket, box, or craft organizer.

Make it look like FUN, and offer to help her go through photos one day (that is, if you'd really want to  Wink).

Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BatGrrl
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005 08:04:31 AM »

Actually, if you have a Dollar Tree nearby, you can make a less expensive kit packed with goodies--it's what I did for my nieces.  Most of the packs of paper have 6 sheets in them for your dollar ("Miss Elizabeth" brand--they're actually quite cute); there are packs of the plastic inserts, 10 in a package; covers that range in style from floral to babyish to denim-looking; stickers that match the paper sheets; our Dollar Tree has scissors with different types of edges; 6 varieties, but no all have them; stamps and/or punches; letter stencils; and even acid free glue sticks.

But also, JoAnn Fabrics & Crafts may be a good place to check, too.  Over the last month or so a lot of the scrapbooking supplies have been on sale.

Seriously, though, I have been completely happy with the Dollar Tree products.  If you need to add plain paper to the mix, you can actualy get pretty cheap packets of that at your WalMart type stores.

Good luck!

Pieces,

Joanne/BatGrrl
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tara1979
They Saved My Life...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005 01:58:48 AM »

Hmm....hubby brought home the Michael's flyer, and they have a kit on for $24.99 (Canadian), plus there is a 40% off coupon (not sure if it is useable with it, but if so - Bonus!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Scream-a-little
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005 02:08:45 AM »

hi.. i work at Michael's here in Canada.. the 40% off coupon is only good on regular priced items so the coupon is not good on that kit.. but honestly for starting out scrappers it's a good deal.. i also get scrappers who are replishing their supplies grabbing it..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One shoe can change your life"   Cinderella
Modus Operandi
Paint Hussie

handpainted and repurposed vintage items

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005 08:48:31 AM »

Even drug stores like Walgreens and Rite Aid carry scrapbook supplies, you may try there also.
Borders and Barnes and Noble also had a small display of books and supplies. There's were a bit more pricy though.
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shops! http://www.enamor.etsy.com

enamorweddingshttp://www.enamorweddings.etsy.com

Pinteresthttp
ERPilly
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005 08:54:52 PM »

I was just out shopping and I couldn't help but remember this thread...
At Target they now have a whole section devoted to scrapbooks.  Albums, accessories, stickers, trimmings, scissors, you name it.  And rather pretty sets all coordinated.  Also I saw at the Dollar Tree they had several scrapbook sticker and cut-out sets, and of course just a dollar.  It seems everywhere I go now I see it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Homer Simpson - 1st Drawing
How to Draw Young Homer Simpson - 58th Drawing
How to Draw Moe Szyslak - 23rd Drawing
The Special 1000 Subscribers Video - 52nd Drawing
How to Draw Spider-Pig - 27th Drawing
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...