A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,901
Currently Running With Scissors:
509 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making a Lab Coat?  (Read 549 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mew
« on: December 17, 2005 01:02:02 PM »

I've been stuck in a lab lots this year (about 4-5 hours a week in the term I just finished, and about another 7-8hours a week next term), and I've realized that I'm fed up with my lab coat.

The pockets are awkwardly placed; the buttons only close the lab coat up to my sternum; the sleeves are 4-5 inches too long...

So I'm trying to think of ways to sew myself a new one. I've got... basic sewing skills, so this should be doable.

Any idea where to get started?
I was thinking of picking up a pattern for a simple dress shirt, then lengthening it and adding some pockets. Also just thinking of not having typical shirt cuffs with buttons, but instead, just hem the ends so they're still loose and maneuverable in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aeillill

blood hungry cannibalistic unfit family ties

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005 01:29:46 PM »

i don't know about making one, but I work in a pharmacy & have to wear a lab coat every day *blech* I had this one lab coat though that I absolutely loved until I spilled fruit punch all over it and it had holes in the side so I could reach into my pant pockets in addition to pockets actually on the coat itself, I miss that lab coat so much.  Also I wear scrubs all day and really like a feature on some of them that maybe you could add to your lab coat?  It's a double pocket, basically a pocket in a pocket, it's my best friend
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laden autumn, here I stand
Divasews
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005 09:33:21 AM »

If you're working in a chem lab or with acids the lab coats needs to be fire and acid resistant. Im not sure where you can get fabric that is both fire and acid resistant. Maybe do a search online?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mew
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005 04:00:41 PM »

I was thinking about the materials, though according to 2-3 lab manuals I've had, none of them actually specify anything about the resistivity (fire, acid, spills...) of the material.

These are for mostly biology/microbiology labs, so I think washability ends up being more of a factor.
One lab book even goes so far to suggest a 100% cotton lab coat, which is far more flammable than say a cotton/poly blend.

I've found a pretty decent pattern online, I just hope I can get my hands on it in person.
McCalls 4877
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Self Defeating Myths of Change
The Many Moods of Cheat
Peter Ames Carlin on His New Bruce Springsteen Biography
BeBe Winans on His Book The Whitney I Knew
Eben Alexander Discusses His "Journey Into the Afterlife"
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...