A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: father's day from toddler  (Read 3004 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jayamaree
« on: June 01, 2004 08:21:14 AM »

my son's father and i were recently married (he is in the military so he hasn't been around all that much). Our son is two and this is the first time we've all been living together. I want to do something awsome for father's day this year any suggestions?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Becky65301
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004 08:36:01 AM »

Every year we make handprint stepping stones.  It's an easy project (okay, a little messy, LOL), and it's not just "junk" y'know?

We do one with each of the kids handprints, and date them, and also now let the kids decorate one too.  I can post a tutorial if you're interested.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sexie_Leopard
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004 05:31:23 PM »

i would like to see a tutorial, if that's okay??  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Becky65301
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004 08:04:45 PM »

Okay, tutorial...

Need:
Quik-Crete (just a small bag is a ton more than you really need, if you're not sure which to buy, tell the salesperson what you're making, there are alot of different kinds of concrete)
Empty bucket & stir stick you don't mind throwing away
Box lids/ or stepping stone molds (which they sell at craft stores)/ or my favorite is old heart-shaped candy boxes/ or disposable aluminum baking pans
Mosaic pieces/ or marbles/ or smooth glass/ (look at garden section of the store for ideas)
Easy access to water hose or yucky sink

Very flexible depending on what you want to do.

Pick a day that isn't too too hot outside cause the concrete will set up really fast.  Dump concrete mix into the bucket (CAREFUL: VERY NASTY DUST! You may want a mask) and add water and stir really well... you want it the consistancy of a thick gravy or instant oatmeal... there aren't any exact measurements you just keep adding a bit of one or the other til you get it right.  Really, it's not hard.

Lay the mold in a flat protected place, it will need to stay there for at least a day.  Dump the concrete in to fill up the mold.  Jiggle it a bit and it will smooth out on top, it will look like a layer of water is forming.  Then you wait.  Depending on how hot it is, maybe 10 minutes, maybe an hour.  Stick your finger in it and see if the dent stays, if it does, then jiggle it again to smooth it out.  You want it about the consistency of play-doh.  When it will hold a dent, you are now ready for decoration, LOL!  Stick in kid's hand (if they're toddlers, you will have to help them spread their fingers and you'll have to push on their hands to make a good dent, you want it to go about halfway thru the thickness).  Decorate with goodies.  I use a wooden skewer to write the kid's name and year on there.  That "water layer" might still be there, but it will go away on it's own.

If you do handprints, DO NOT let the kid back inside the house until you have hosed off their hands.  (speaking from experience)  And don't try to move it, even if you're careful, it will start to smooth back out again.

At this point it just has to set.  Leave it overnight.  After the first day, you can move it to a better spot to dry.  When it's dry, it will pretty much pull away from the mold.  Don't push your luck, though, cause it can break if you mess with it and it's not dry yet.  I usually wait 3 or 4 days.

You will probably have extra concrete in the bucket, so it's a good idea to have more than one mold so you can play too.  Or fix your sidewalk.

This is the primitive home-made cheap way to make them... if you have a good craft store, they sell all kinds of stuff especially for stepping stones, really pretty expensive doo-dads and whole mosaic sets.     

« Last Edit: June 17, 2004 08:08:25 PM by Becky65301 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sexie_Leopard
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004 05:25:13 AM »

thanks.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
megaknits
mega(k)nits

do you like it?? i like it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005 03:25:23 PM »

My two-and-a-half year old and I are making a "gold gilded" frame for Daddy's Day. We got some ready-to-make frames at walmart, also available at craft stores, and we're going to jazz it up with some macaroni, rotini, etc; spraypaint it gold and add jewels (most of which have fallen out of tiaras and various sundry princess gear). Then we're going to pick out a great picture of her and her dad.

The best part is that the frame is really durable, so it'll last a long time on his desk at work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cat-n-Caboodle
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2005 06:32:29 PM »

My friends child made a keyring from Shrinky-Dinks plastic at her daycare centre...this would work with any age provided they can hold a pen and scribble or draw on the plastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
obsoletepostergirl

Certified thing-finder.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005 03:43:19 PM »

This idea for marble magnets seemed really cute
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Get the Most Out of Black Friday
Alyson Hannigan Talks Fashion
We Spy Fashionable Celebrity Engagement Rings
Day-to-Day Evening Looks For Women
The Row’s New Take on the Trench Coat
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...