A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 315,693
Currently Running With Scissors:
473 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Butternut Squash  (Read 1379 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ShiningStar
« on: December 16, 2005 03:39:04 PM »

Does anyone have a good butternut squash recipe or know where I can get one from?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are  --John Wooden
the littlest ninja

Feed that mustache, son.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005 05:23:16 PM »

Okay, I don't know that I have any good recipes, but I looooooove butternut squash, it's one of my favorite foods.  If you can find recipes, it's wonderful as soup or as ravioli filling!   Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take that you stupid corn!
oshun99
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005 07:23:04 PM »

when i got my wisdom teeth pulled, i lived off this squash soup.
lemme know what u think if u try it.

Squash soup
2 butternut squash (about 2 lb. each) seeded, peeled and cut into small chunks (about 8 cups)
1 cup chopped carrots
2 cans (14-1/2 oz. each) chicken broth
1 cup water
1/2 tsp. ground pepper
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 cup BREAKSTONE'S or KNUDSEN Sour Cream

p.s. v.mars rules!!

PLACE squash and carrots in large pot. Add chicken broth and water; stir. Bring to boil over medium-high heat; cover. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool slightly.
ADD chicken broth mixture to food processor or blender container in small batches; cover. Process until pureed. Return to pot; keep warm on low heat. Repeat with remaining chicken broth mixture.
STIR in pepper and nutmeg. Remove from heat. Add a few tablespoonfuls of hot soup to sour cream in small bowl; mix well. Return to soup in pot; stir until well blended.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Salome

Down too far to care.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005 10:50:14 AM »

i think the best way to really taste this squash is to roast it:

* Cut it in half (lengthwise) and scoop out the yucky stuff. Rub a little veggie oil on it.

* Put it upside down on a baking dish (or sheet pan w/sides to catch any juices). Cover said dish with foil to ease clean up. Bake at 350 'till it is almost totally soft (30 minutes?).

* Flip the halves over and add some yummy stuff to the cavity. Some ideas:
               butter
               maple syrup
               nutmeg
               brown sugar
               vanilla
               marshmallows (!!)
               ground pepper

*Bake 'till the whole thing is soft and everything solid (butter, sugar, marshmellows) have melted.

*Scoop out the flesh and goodies from the skin into a bowl. Mash that up and eat hot.

This is obviously not very healthy... Whatever... It tastes awesome...I like this for dessert.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You gotta do something besides kill drifters to get erections.
Salome

Down too far to care.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005 10:51:13 AM »

Actually, the initial roasting may take longer depending on how big your guy is. Keep and eye on it... it's hard to mess this up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You gotta do something besides kill drifters to get erections.
ranchgirl
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005 11:04:17 AM »

sage and butternut squash ravioli--
smoosh some olive oil on the cut sides of the squash (seeds and junk removed).  sprinkle on some coarse black pepper and salt.  roast it. 
scoop out the flesh into a bowl and mush it up really well with a fork.  add some butter, minced garlic, chopped fresh sage and grated parmesan cheese. put it in a sauce pan over low heat and cook this until it seems very dry.  you don't want there to be a lot of moisture or it will be really gross inside the ravioli. also taste it to make sure it has enough of the good stuff and add more if needed. 
here's the easy part-- instead of making your own pasta, use won ton wrappers.  just wet the edges of the wrapper with egg white or water, spoon some squash in the middle, put another square on top and seal the edges.  all you need to do then is cook them in boiling water and serve.  these also freeze really well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
the littlest ninja

Feed that mustache, son.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2005 12:09:46 PM »

ranchgirl, you're my hero   Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take that you stupid corn!
ShiningStar
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005 08:01:01 PM »

Wow, thanks I don't know which recipe to try first LOL Smiley.  I'll probably get to try everybody's version before the season is over.  Thanks Smiley!

oshun99, So, you like Veronica Mars too.  It's a great show. 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005 08:03:37 PM by ShiningStar » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are  --John Wooden
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2005 06:28:51 AM »

I would roast at 400 degrees, and sprinkle some salt, pepper, basil and thyme on it. I also cover the pan with foil - cleanup is so much easier!

I like squash stuffed with some burnt corn (heat the corn over med-high heat with a bit of oil and let it sit there til it starts to caramelize), red paper flakes, and basil. Maybe a few bits of sun-dried tomatoes. Pine nuts. Brown rice. Onions.

Great Soup
2 smallish roasted squashes, pulp removed
32 oz chix or veg stock
1 leek, chopped small
2 med zucchini, rought chopped
2 Tbl tomato paste
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp dried red pepper (hot)
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp coriander
couple shakes of cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste

Mix 'her up in a pot, boil, simmer for about...20 mins. Throw half of it in the blender and pour the smoothness back into the pot. Or, you could blend the whole thing. Makes a great Christmas present!
Mix up some of your squashy smooth goodness with rice and an egg, and bake it in buttered ramekins.
It makes a great pasta or chicken or pork sauce (mix with a bit more stock or broth or cream)
Sprinkle your roasted squash with curry powder, salt/pepper before roasting; cut into wedges and serve with cucumber raita. Nummy!
Use squash mixed with a bit of ricotta and use in your lasagne.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

impchild
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2005 06:02:47 PM »

ok... this sounds kind of weird but i made it (with butternut) for a friend's thanksgiving and was told "i don't like squash but this is really good!" by a number of people.

Sweet and Sour Squash
Zucca Gialla in Agrodolce

Sicily is probably the origin of this recipe, adapted from Cia Eramo's La cucina mantovana. It is identical to the classic fegato ai sette cannoli, named after a fountain in Palermo with seven spouts. Few people in the surrounding poverty-stricken neighborhood could afford meat. Pumpkin is meaty, however, and when cooked has so much body that they likened it to liver (fegato).Use pumpkin, Hubbard, butternut, or another large yellow hard-skinned winter squash for this dish.
Sweet and Sour Squash 

2-pound piece butternut squash or pumpkin
1/3 cup olive oil, or as needed
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint
2 or 3 large cloves garlic, sliced paper-thin
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
Pinch of ground cinnamon (optional)
Salt and freshly ground block pepper to taste

Halve the squash, discard the seeds and fibers, peel the halves, and cut the pulp into 1/3 inch-thick slices.

Warm half the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. In batches, add the squash slices and saute, adding oil as needed and turning to brown both sides, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Using a slotted spatula, transfer to a serving platter. Cover with the mint and garlic.

To the oil remaining in the pan, add the vinegar, sugar, and the cinnamon, if using, and cook until the sugar dissolves and the sauce thickens about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Pour the sauce over the squash. Serve at room temperature.

Notes: some versions of this dish call for cooking the garlic in the oil, discarding it, and then cooking the squash. Some omit both the vinegar and cinnamon.

Serves 6 to 8
THIS ROCKS   Logged

momma to a 5yo drama king
ISO: purple/black/green yarn scraps (2yds or more), vintage hankies and a single fire opal bead.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
The Success of Chef David Chang
Pork Estofado with Plantains and Pearl Onions Recipe
Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry Recipe
Shrimp Curry Recipe
Vegetarian Saag Aloo Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...
Flower Power!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...