A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Where do you order from?  (Read 5443 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beans
« on: December 16, 2005 09:37:54 AM »

I think it's fair to say that we have some unique challenges in getting crafty supplies. My boyfriend and I  moved to Arviat, Nunavut in August. So far I've only ordered yarn through www.yarnmarket.com. I was wondering where other craftsters order their craft supplies from, and what the shipping and service was like.
I was happy with Yarnmarket, the shipping was a little expensive, since it had to come in from the states, but the yarn I received was fantastic.
So, where  do you get your supplies from?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alikatrox
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005 09:35:18 AM »

hi, fellow knorthern knitter!!!
i'm in yellowknife, NWT - but i used to live in Iqaluit, NU too... so i know where you're coming from!
there is a great store in Ottawa that ships yarn internationally.

www.yarnforward.ca

i haven't yet ordered from them yet but i've shopped there in person and they are very helpful!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
beans
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005 09:56:03 PM »

I'm actually in Ottawa right now for Christmas, I might just stop by Yarn Forward and ask them all about it! Thank you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Thyme
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005 07:57:19 PM »

Hey! It's nice to see some fellow Yellowknifers here! I grew up in YK but now live in Vancouver. I miss living there a lot (in the summer only). It's really hard to order things up north, it always seems to take a really long time.
You can sometimes find some independant canadian suppliers from etsy.com.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alikatrox
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006 12:02:53 PM »

Well,

You'll be happy to know that a few friends and I have started a Yellowknife Stitch N Bitch!
So if you're ever back for a visit you should join us!

Also, I've ordered from Sublime Stitching and they always deliver quickly - with no custom's fees!
And i'm currently awaiting my first package from ReproDepot- i'll let you know how that turns out! (i'm worried about custom's fees but fingers crossed!)...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
beans
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006 12:42:04 PM »

Thanks for the websites, I just ordered a ton of stuff from www.paper-source.com, and they has really great service. The only problem was that they ship through UPS, which goes through the cargo services instead of the post office. More of an inconvenience than anything else, but next time I will ask for them to ship it by regular old post.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
d
princesshammerhead

Treat people how you like to be treated!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006 08:37:13 PM »

Hello my Northern Neighbours! Smiley I live in Saskatchewan and am looking to swap supplies for expired licence plates and expired dog tags (animal not army) It doesn't matter if the plates are dented, bent, or otherwise unrecognizeable. I have to offer fabric,thread, yarn, buttons, sequins, retro 70's flower petals(un-opened), stickers, feathers, lace, pom poms,fabric paints, glitter, card stock, wallpaper samples,foam stamps, ink stamps, 70's sewing patterns, craft books/leaflets, bottle caps,etc. If you need it I probablly have it. I am also willing to swap for finished crafts. Most can be seen on my blog

http://princesshammerhead.blogspot.com/

Happy crafting, looking forward to hearing from you, d Smiley Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

If only closed minds came with closed mouths!

If the world is getting smaller, why do postage rates keep going up?

http://princesshammerhead.blogspot.com/

Personal swap anyone?
sulicat
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006 09:35:26 PM »

Hot damn! Great to meet you all, I'm in Yellowknife too.
Seems to be quite a few fibre comments and I thought i'd mention I order through:

- Shuttleworks: http://www.shuttleworks.com/
_The_ western source for all fibre arts including knitting, weaving, spinning, felting, dyeing... Cal seriously has everything. However, you have to know what to ask for, and do some email exchanging, as their website does not list 1/20th of what they have. Very responsive, and he supplies many northerners. (located just outside Calgary)

- Spinning and rug hooking supplies through fabulous Laura at Legacy Studio: http://www.legacystudio.ca/
She's friendly, fast and has great quality material. (located in Cochrane Alberta)

- and a yarn shop in Whitehorse, though I haven't ordered through them, mailing is cheap, they have deluxe yarn and also fibre (including qiviut): http://www.folknits.com/

For art supplies, I've noticed Island Blue Print (Victoria) has cheap shipping. I haven't ordered yet, but their shop and staff in Vic is great: http://www.islandblue.com/

I've also found that chatting with Etsy sellers who "sell only in US" actually are pleased to sell to Canucks, just not overseas. A little Canadian charm goes a long way.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
beans
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006 09:43:01 PM »

Wow! Great information.
Whoa, I was expecting the qiviuq prices to be high, but I would probably be shot for spending so much money on a hat! I suppose it would be one fantastically warm and special hat, though.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006 09:45:05 PM by beans » THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006 01:24:09 PM »

i wasn't doing any crocheting when i was in whitehorse, but several of my roomates got really into knitting their own socks, and they LOVED folknits.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Dress If You Have An “Apple” Shape
Grunge Fashion Trends
Louis Vuitton Resort 2014 Collection Revealed
Miley Cyrus Vs. Taylor Swift: Rocker Vs. Chic Fashion
The Vera Wang Dress Code
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...