A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 305,021
Currently Running With Scissors:
705 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Birthday month swap  (Read 4509 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

orangeabsinthe

On the eighth day, God created beer!

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2005 09:31:34 AM »

I don't know if this has been suggested or not, but I was thinking about maybe starting a new swap, sort of like the unconditional swapper swap.  But only the craftsters whose birthday is that month can sign up to receive, so people who want to craft for them will be like crafting for their birthday present!  Here are some things to think about...
-how will we be sure that the person's birthday is actually that month?  just trust them?
-I can organize January, and I will orgaanize December (a year away, i know, but my birthday is in december and I want to be sure this is still around then....) and possibly some in between, but I don't think I can organize the whole year, so we will need volunteers for organizers.
-how many times can people receive?
-I was thinking of maybe incorporating a thank you note...if you receive, you must send some sort of thank you note through snail mail.  I think that its ridiculous that some people are not even saying thanks for the lovely gift that they receive from other crafsters, especially in an unconditional swap where the crafter is getting nothing in return!  This way we can be sure of a thank you, plus the crafter will get some mail love too  Smiley

What do you think?  Any other suggestions?  I plan on starting this for January...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005 04:44:22 PM »

Grin Grin OMG!... I'm so in! I think people could receive a couple of "gifts' since you have all year to make up gifts for others you know? Like maybe between 5-8 or so, that way you make just about a swap item ever other month or every 6 weeks, and also you get a couple of things for your birthday!@!! OMG, it would be like those chain letter things but we are all into it and it would actually work because we all love crafting!!!!!! Count me in and I would be happy to host one or two months, I have never done that but I'll start poking around the swap info section...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
redstar13
"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan. " -Tom Landrey

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005 04:54:30 PM »

This is a really cool idea!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TalkAboutLush
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005 06:33:33 PM »

I'd love to get a nice little crafted something for my birthday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cortag04
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005 08:05:43 PM »

That sounds like a great idea. I would love to join.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005 04:35:42 AM »

I'm terrible at figuring out logistics of this sort of thing, but once some organizational maven figures it out, I'm totally for it. It appeals to my inner elf so very much. Now if you'll excuse me, I must go wrap things in hand-stamped gift wrap *leaves trail of jingle bells behind her*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TalkAboutLush
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005 06:21:13 PM »

In response to the things to think about...

-I don't really think there is any way to really know if they're telling the truth about what month their birthday is but I would hope people wouldn't lie about such a silly thing like that. The only reason to lie would be to get a gift earlier but as long as someone keeps track and makes sure everyone only signs up to recieve once a year I think it would be okay to just trust everyone.

-I would totally organize (as long as I qualify) a month (Maybe February? that's when my birthday is) ...Somehow I got a trait that makes me love to organize things on paper (my bedroom is another story though  Roll Eyes)

-I'm not sure how many times people should recieve...maybe there shouldn't be a set limit? Like, maybe you can just have a list of the people for the month and just go down it as people sign up to send and when you get to the bottom just start over again? That way everyone recieves once before anyone recieves twice?

-I <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 the thank you note part. It's nice to know that you're appreciated and a simple thank you note or card is just the way to go. Lovely idea.

Hope that helped...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mistress_batty
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Batty Bat Bat

happy hookin' mistress

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005 12:07:26 AM »

yeah, this is an awesome idea. it would be great if people would be involved all 12 months....so for your birthday you get 11 gifts. and then for the other 11 months (you don't have a birthday lol), you send one gift a month to whoevers birthday it is. I'm not sure how that would be organized though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jojo9

meet my charming friend, the monkey gentleman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005 04:30:03 AM »

I think it's a great idea, I'm not sure i would be able to commit to sending something every month though. 

I've never organised a swap before, but I'd volunteer to organise a month.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

PurpleHeather
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005 07:34:43 AM »

I like the idea of it running like the unconditional swap, as, like Jo, I'm not sure I could commit to making something every month.  I do like the idea of a thank you card.  I was thinking of it being something like the 2006 wishlist swap, where you have to send before you can recieve, but that'd make it easy for a December birthday, and hard for a January one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Take Better Photos with Fill Flash
How to Take Better Photos by Pre-focusing
Essential Travel and Landscape Photography Skills
Outdoor Natural Portrait Photography
Fashion and Beauty Photography Lighting Set-Ups
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...