A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,456
Currently Running With Scissors:
600 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gainesville Crafters?  (Read 6737 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

megafran
« on: December 15, 2005 10:01:14 PM »

Anyone? Anyone?

My bestfriend and I want to start a group.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sassafras

The Sassy Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005 12:00:31 AM »

yes. Yes. YES!

I, too, have been thinking of starting a Gainesville Craft Mafia (a la Austin, TX). Girl, you read my mind! I figure there's gotta be other crafty gals in this cozy little town.

I plan to get serious about this after the first of the year, once things settle down a bit. In the meantime, wanna get join me for a cuppa joe at Maude's? We could each bring projects and start scheming! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', '....................................................................')
           <<  www.sassycrafter.com  >>
                     crafty repurposing
preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', '....................................................................')
megafran
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005 06:56:23 PM »

hooray! Have you been to the bead store in Sun center?

Im visiting the folks now but I will be back January 7th.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sassafras

The Sassy Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005 02:56:24 PM »

Have you been to the bead store in Sun center?

Yup. The woman who runs it -- Cindy -- is soooo nice. She's really big into local artists and had been instrumental in me selling some of my creations. Three cheers for Cindy!

Have fun with the 'rents and we'll definitely have to get together in Jan. to plan a Gainesville crafting group.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty repurposing
cararay
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006 06:24:13 AM »

I would be interested in joining the Craft Mafia Smiley. Let me know what you guys decide to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
megafran
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006 09:23:42 PM »

hooray!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sassafras

The Sassy Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006 10:03:08 PM »

Okay, let's have a little get-together. I'll bring all the info about the mafia and we can figure out what we wanna do. Sound good?

Where: Maude's Coffeeshop (downtown next to the Hippodrome Theatre)
When: Thurs., Jan 19 from 7-8 p.m.
Bring: Your ideas of how to unite crafters in Gainesville!

I'll be working on a knitting project, lookin' crafty, so you should be able to spot me. Oh, and I'm blonde and wear glasses -- that might help too.

I think we should sit outside. That way if dozens of crafters show up, we'll have enough space. Just be sure to bring a jacket if it's cold.  Wink
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006 10:14:01 PM by sassafras » THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty repurposing
megafran
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006 11:44:57 AM »

yay. im sick sso ill be the one in the scarf. oh and i have ridiculously curly hair. and im chinese-jamaican. not easy to miss.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cararay
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006 12:23:04 PM »

I was sick yesterday and wasn't able to make it. Did you all get together?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
megafran
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006 08:49:15 AM »

Hey Gainesville Crafters!

I am sorry I havent been active. I had pnemonia. How are things going?

Francesca
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sassafras

The Sassy Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006 09:42:39 PM »

Well ladies, only one other gal showed up.  Sad I might try hosting an actual craft night at my house sometime in March. If so, I'll post it here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty repurposing
redglitterheals
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006 08:18:26 PM »

if you knit or crochet, you should totally come down to the CMC (its on university, across from the bank of america). I'm part of the Hook and Needle Gang, we meet every monday at 6:30. we have plenty of supplies, and people to teach you if you don't know how to do it. we always like new comers--you should totally check it out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cararay
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006 01:40:42 PM »

I've thought about going to CMC but I'm kind of a knitting flunkie. I took a class and was not exactly an "A" student.  Smiley Would someone be willing to teach me - and be patient?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redglitterheals
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2006 02:20:22 PM »

I've thought about going to CMC but I'm kind of a knitting flunkie. I took a class and was not exactly an "A" student.  Smiley Would someone be willing to teach me - and be patient?!

most definitely! We love teaching people how to knit. you should totally come next monday!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cararay
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2006 12:12:22 PM »

I will try to make it on Monday. Thanks! Cara
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gnomesrock
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2006 01:49:14 PM »

I've been reading Craftster for a while but never thought to look to see if there's a Gainesville craft group in the works until now.  It would be really cool if we could seriously start something around town.  And, it would be great to make some crafty friends!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sassafras

The Sassy Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2006 09:22:39 PM »

most definitely! We love teaching people how to knit. you should totally come next monday!
This must be a sign from the gods. I was just searching the net for how to cast on stitches. Strangely enough, I can knit but I can't cast on!!!

I'll see you on Monday for a lesson...  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty repurposing
megafran
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2006 01:18:19 PM »

Anyone metting up not at the CMC? I'm too allergic to all of the dust in there. Send me a PM.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

drawkcabssecnirp
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2006 11:23:59 AM »

i think i might be moving up there in the summer.. so, not having any friends + not having anything to do = hoping i get to meet up with some of you guys! i guess i'll check back later to see if anything's going on. happy crafting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SquidPrincess
cephalopod rockstar and all around space babe

just a (squid) girl and her zombie friend

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2006 07:39:58 PM »

I am moving to Gainesville in a matter of weeks! No summer classes for me, so I'll have loads of spare time...I'd love to meet some crafty people.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Revolution is a trivial shift in the emphasis of suffering." --Tom Stoppard
http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m67/spooookypants/
la felicidad tiene tu nombre y tu piel
suchakaren
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2006 05:59:53 AM »

Hello everyone!

I am a very active crafty gal and I do all sorts of things:
-mostly jewelry work wite fine precious stones and swarovskis and sterling silver
-wire wrapping
-i can knit but i can't cast on (haha! i'm a rare breed)
-i can crochet
-i paint my little heart out
-i draw/sketch/etc
-mosaics
-makeup (hey it counts when you do it creatively! i do theatrical makeup as a hobby)
-scrapbooking
-bead embroidery

I'll be moving to Gainesville to start studying Graphic Design at Santa Fe Community College starting August 17th and I have already been doing my research on this place! I currently live in Pensacola and while most people don't think it looks like much, we happen to have two bead stores (across the street from one another!) Moon Dance and a place that is simply called Beads and both are amazing. We have one of the super Joanns, a Hancock, tons of craft friendly Walmarts, Targets, and a few hobby places. I thought Gainesville was going to be a bust as far as supplies go, but after looking in the back of one of my bead magazines I noticed that there are THREE bead places in Gainesville! Gifts of Avalon www.giftsofavalon.com http://www.gainesvilletoday.com/2005/07/gifts_avalon.asp That is an article about it in the Gainesville Today paper. The Sun Center Bead emporium http://beadlinks.com/suncenterbeademporium.html and an adorable store by the name of
Bead All About It http://beadallaboutit.net/ 

Have any of you had any experience with these bead stores? Are they all by the strand, or individual bead sellers? And what are the prices and staff like? I used to work at aplace with a rather rude owner (thats why I quit) who pushed people to spend more money and made customers uncomfortable, so I'm hoping that these places are awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SquidPrincess
cephalopod rockstar and all around space babe

just a (squid) girl and her zombie friend

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2006 03:25:18 AM »

I'm just moved to g-ville and oh, man, I am desperate need of crafting buds. Someone nice enough to teach me how to knit would be a bonus...

Also! Pensacola--nice beaches. I was there recently, visiting the boyfriend's parents. Small town, but nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Revolution is a trivial shift in the emphasis of suffering." --Tom Stoppard
http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m67/spooookypants/
la felicidad tiene tu nombre y tu piel
sassafras

The Sassy Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2008 06:11:53 PM »

I thought Gainesville was going to be a bust as far as supplies go, but after looking in the back of one of my bead magazines I noticed that there are THREE bead places in Gainesville! -- Gifts of Avalon, The Sun Center Bead Emporium and an adorable store by the name of Bead All About It

Have any of you had any experience with these bead stores? Are they all by the strand, or individual bead sellers? And what are the prices and staff like? I used to work at a place with a rather rude owner (that's why I quit) who pushed people to spend more money and made customers uncomfortable, so I'm hoping that these places are awesome!

Sadly, the Sun Center Bead Emporium has since gone out of business. I really miss that place. Cindy had all sorts of unique stuff. *sniff*

The other two stores are still open, and are a stone's throw from each other near the intersection of NW 43rd Street and NW 23rd Blvd. Both sell hanks and individual beads and have an extensive selection. The staff have never been rude to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty repurposing
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn about the Range of Available Lenses - part 2
How to use the Shutter Priority Mode or Tv Mode
How to use the Modes on Your dSLR
Learn about Reciprocity
Learn about the Range of Available Lenses - part 1
Latest Blog Articles
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...