A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
501 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: mmm ... bacon fat  (Read 1230 times)
Tags for this thread: bacon  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Squidly
« on: November 11, 2005 01:34:42 PM »

just thought i'd pass along a little tip for those who like to make treats for their dogs.

when i make treats for ramone, our black lab, i use bacon fat instead of butter, margarine, etc. it gives a ton of flavor to the treats, including all the wee crumbles of bacon. ramone dashes into the kitchen when i open the jar because you can smell it, and he knows he's getting something good (he'll sit at my feet and wait while i make them  Grin). it doesn't have to be softened like other hard shortenings because it has a terrific soft texture that make it really easy to work with. we give all of ramone's doggy pals treat bags at the holidays, and their owners tell us the dogs go nuts over them. this has become part of my standard dog treat recipe now.

how we save it: after it cools in the pan a little, we pour it into a clean glass jar (saved from salsa or jalapenos or something of similar size) and let it firm up. i'm not exactly sure how long it will keep, as i use ours frequently, but we keep ours in the cupboard and it's fine. in fact, the oil and bacon bits sink to the bottom and you get a beautimous white layer of soft lard on top sealing in all the hammy goodness. just another way to reuse/recycle and please your fur baby at the same time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PepsiTwist
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005 07:13:18 PM »

what do you mean when you say fat? by ur description it sounds like your talking about the grease you get when you cook it or am i ignorant? if so, what are you talking bout?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Squidly
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005 08:32:52 PM »

yup, you've got it right: grease, fat, drippings, lard ... whatever you want to call what's left in the pan after you cook bacon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PepsiTwist
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005 09:01:28 PM »

oo ok i gotcha! thanks for clarifing that. Grin What recipies do you use for treats? The ones ive tried turned out really nasty (my dog wouldnt eat it so i tried it and found out why. lol Tongue)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Squidly
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005 07:49:21 AM »

i have tried several recipes, and i even purchased the 3 dog bakery cookbook. those recipes were basically like cooking full human meals for dogs, but the cookies/biscuits were doable and there is a nice cake recipe we made for ramone's bday last yr to much happiness. i keep going back to 2 standards though, then just varying them a bit. both use whole wheat flour, the bacon fat (or else butter), water or broth, some garlic powder, and not a heck of a lot more. one of them adds pureed veggies (fresh or frozen), so the proportions are changed to accomodate the veggie slurry.

i vary both recipes according to what i have at the time. for instance, i had so many beans coming in my garden in september that i used those in treats for ramone, whereas now i have apples from our trees so i'll use those. other things i've added have been cheese, peanut butter, cinnamon, pumpkin, meat scraps, etc. all the dogs we give them to adore them. and my husband, always looking out for ramone's tummy and palate, has eaten the treats and pronounced them fit for humans.  Cheesy

i'll get my recipes when i go home and post them for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rumrasin033003
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005 12:26:50 AM »

The bacon fat thing is a really good idea! I actually saved mine from yesterday morning, thanks for the great tip!

I also wanted to add, there are a lot of people food items that can hurt our animal friends! Garlic, onions, raisins , grapes and macadamia nuts can be VERY BAD for their health!!! And even if they have eaten these things in the past and been fine, they could still have problems if they continue to eat them.

Here ia a link with a list of things that could be harmful:

http://www.petalia.com/Templates/StoryTemplate_Process.cfm?Story_No=257&specie=1

I personally was shocked, and had no idea that some of these things could be bad!I know some people feed their puppys table scraps, and I just  thought I use garlic and onions in almost every meal!!  I'm sure I'm not the only one that didn't know, so I wanted to share the info with other animal lovers!

Happy Holidays!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Serve a Bacon Roly Poly
How to Stuff Mini Quesadillas
How to Heat Leftover Turkey and Stuffing Casserole
How to Cook Fantastic Turkey Au Gratin with Sherry
How to Cook Extra Sweet Thanksgiving Yams
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Pallet Shelf
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...