A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
814 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: any ideas for a "bead curtain" alike project?  (Read 1709 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tirididi
« on: May 31, 2004 04:47:29 PM »

hey
it's been a while i've been thinking of making a bead curtain but the beads are a little too expensive to buy (if i want enough for the curtain). So I wanted to ask you guys ideas for a curtain which would use objects less expensive than pearls but that would give the same effect. if you don't know what i mean with "bead curtain" just look at the image.

or if you don't see the image, go there : http://www.fozzilinymoo.org/Fozzolog/images/20020831-closet_beads.640x480.jpg

thanks!
ale ... ps. sorry for my sucky english :s
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spitbubbleluv
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004 06:09:30 PM »

What about paper beads?  Not real sure of the specifics as I have never done them.  I think they are made from triangle shaped pieces of paper (sometimes magazines or newspapers) and then rolled up.  Then they can be painted.  They are kind of long (1 1/2 -2 inch) cylinders.  I have seen these really pretty ones painted with hula girls although I'm pretty sure they weren't paper.  It could be done though.  If you have the patience.  Wink

I didn't look at where you live, but if you live near the coast you could use small sea shells.

Also I bought some once from Target that were made from thin plastic (thickness of stencil plastic).  They were cut into circles within circles if that makes sense.  I thought they were pretty cool.   
Hope I helped.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craft-matic
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004 06:42:22 PM »

You can make beads out of paper...What you do is cut a long equilateral triangle out of magazine pages or decorative paper.  The longer it is in relation to it's width, the more compact the beads will be.  Roll it tight, starting at the wide end.  Depending on the paper, you can coat the top side with decoupage glue before rolling; but make sure you leave a bit without glue at the wide end.  When the beads are all done, you can lacquer them.  They should have a hole in the center for stringing.  Use thin vellum for a transluscent effect; mix mica powder into the lacquer for irridescence.  This would be very cheap.  You would probably want to tie washers or stones to the bottom, however, since the paper beads won't have the same kind of weight as regular beads would have. 

Another option would be to use the glass globs you buy in the florist department, and glue them to whatever you use for the strings.   I'm not sure exactly how you would do that; perhaps glue them to jump rings (or paper clips).  I think this would be structurally weak, and probably just as expensive as buying beads. 

Finally, you could look for cheaper beads on ebay.  Sometimes you can run across a windfall.  Of course, in my experience, what with shipping costs, finding things like that for cheap on ebay is a bit of a long shot. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
moonunit426
Democrafter

Dear Duct Tape, You hold my life together. <3 M.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004 05:22:09 PM »

You could use long pieces of ribbon or fabric with some sort of weight at the end.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tirididi
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2004 08:01:03 PM »

Hello!
Thanks for all the ideas.
I chose doing the paper beads. Iy's turning out really well. I'm gonna post some pictures of all the work in about 2 weeks, I think I'll be half-way done. It's gonna be very long to do all the beads cause I will need about 30 "stripes" and each stripes uses maybe 70 beads ... but I'm getting help from friends.

Thanks again,
ale
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craft-matic
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004 06:36:47 PM »

I can't wait to see the finished result!  Making paper beads can be a bit time consuming, but it can also be a relaxing, meditative endeavor, too.  And also a good excuse to sit around watching movies while you work.  What sort of paper are you using? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
tirididi
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004 05:11:44 PM »

i'm using magazine paper. that way i have colourfull beads and don't need to buy more paper cause i got hundreds of magazines.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ookpik

everything is so neat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004 02:46:40 PM »

wow! i've been wanting to make a paper beaded curtain for a long time! can't wait to see how yours turns out. are you going to varnish the beads at all?

one more idea for cheap bead sources, in case anyone is cruising this thread for inspiration: before and after christmas, garlands of beaded strings go on sale and you can get hundreds of meters for a few dollars at places like walmart and dollar stores. you can cut them into lengths to hang as a curtain, or mix them with other strands to bulk out a curtain you're making.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's no such thing as too much information, so: All About My Vagina
lutheranchick
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2004 02:33:07 PM »

Are the paper beads turning out to have enough weight to make the curtain hang right and not get tangled? Or are your putting a different, heavier kind of bead on the bottom? I've been wanting to make a paper bead curtain but am afraid it would be all tangled and weird and my husband would beg me to destroy it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, sauerkraut.
MtyAphrdti
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2004 04:39:28 PM »

I saw one at a friend's house that was made out of paper beads that she used cheapo fishing lure weights in the middle of the beads and used cut-up colored straws along with the paper beads...it looked great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 5/12
How to Crochet a Puff Stitch Part 3/5
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 6/12
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 7/12
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 3/12
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...