A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
576 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how to make a solar messenger/laptop bag?  (Read 1024 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ruis2002
« on: December 15, 2005 09:12:13 AM »

I saw this on the smallbiz page of Business Week, in a slideshow feature called "entrepreneurs' wish list". I would love to know how to make my own knockoff solar-powered laptop bag. Anyone with solar techology smarts who might suggest a how-to?

<<<<<<<<<<<<<It's the ultimate road-warrior accessory: A solar messenger/laptop bag that charges your phone, PDA, camera, or iPod even as you try to hail a cab. www.voltaicsystems.com; $239. >>>>>>>>
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ruis2002
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005 09:17:10 AM »

oops, that link wasn't working, here's one straight to the details about the solar bag:

http://www.voltaicsystems.com/bag_messenger.shtml
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WizardGlick
Save the Texas Prarie Chickens

Greener seems to fall beneath your feet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006 11:53:54 PM »

Wow. That is awesome. Rather lofty for me, though. I have a friend that is studying mechanical engineering for solar powered machines and such. I'll have to show him this. I don't know how much money you have to spend, but I'm guessing that solar panels (even that size) aren't cheap. You might be better off buying it than making it. But you could get someone who really really knows what he/she is doing with electronics and engineering to get it working correctly. Otherwise, it's a waste. Please keep us updated. I'm curious to know what you're going to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HardCandy63

Short Attention Span Crafts Since Age Four.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006 12:31:34 PM »

affix solar panels to the front of a normal messenger bag , with a flap over top to hide them when nessecary. you can probably buy wiring and small solar panels off the internet. that's...about all i know. buttt...with all the money you'd spend/the chance of wrecking it and having to start over, it might be easier and cheaper to just buy that bag instead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Geobabe

I'm moving to Africa

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006 01:46:00 PM »

As a boat dweller depending partially on solar, I think it very optimistic that this would actually work, especially with a price tag of $239.  flexible solar panels are pricey! and they are not very efficient.  also, to work well, nearly all solar panels need to be pointed so the sun is shining straight on them.  even a tiny shadow can really drop the ability of the solar panels to work.  I think maybe you could get enough power to charge something small, like a cell phone, if you left it plugged into the bag all the time you weren't using it.  but a laptop seems out of range of the solar cell technology I'm familiar with.

Not too be a downer, because I think this idea is AWESOME!  and I can't wait until it comes down to my price range!  there is good indication that soon, the biotech industry will be making photovoltaic cells utilizing photosynthesis - harnessing cyanobacteria who chemically store the sun's energy as part of their natural metabolism anyway.  "sorry, I have to get home to feed my batteries"...  we boat folk are really looking forward to that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
James1488
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006 04:59:02 PM »

Hi, just wanted to add my $0.02 worth.  I have been interested in building electric scooters and electric cars lately.  Have not done so, but have been reading quite a bit.
Regarding the solar messanger bag, yes, the solar panels are undersized for powering a laptop, but the keys is the battery, preferably lithium ion.  the battery is holding all the power generated by the solar panel(s) so when an appliance (cell phone, MP3, laptop) is plugged in, it draws the stored power in the battery as opposed to relying on output from the solar panel.  This allows for a smaller panel and hence cheaper price.

This is the same concept as a water tank atop a tower.  A small pump is constantly filliing the water tank, while the water demand is not consistant.  Usually more water is drawn in the morning (showers, kitchen) and evenings (food prep, bathrooms).  The lull times allows a small pump, working costantly, to filll the water tank in anticipation of demand.

The trick to the solar messanger bag is to balance size of battery (costly), size of solar panel, and weight.  All this hardware will add about 2 lbs which can start to get pretty heavy at the end of a long day.

Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose Inks
How to Write Neatly in Calligraphy
How to Design Anime Hair for Boys
How to Sketch an Eye from the Side
How to Sketch a Young Face
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...