A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
347 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Etsy vs. eBay?  (Read 6184 times)
Tags for this thread: etsy , ebay  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hbic
Home Deconomics

A little home ec, a little home dec

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006 06:30:47 PM »

Well, Ebay has been around a lot longer than Etsy. Etsy has really taken off and just think of where it could be a year from now! I got really burned out on Ebay. As a buyer I hated the last minute sniping and as a seller there was too much competition. Etsy is all handmade so that limits what you can sell also.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hand made home decor
amaryllisroze
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007 04:13:03 PM »

My experience so far is that the higher priced items of mine haven't really sold at all. The items less than $5 sell ok. But really, there is no profit for me in selling something for $2 or $3.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All of my photos are hosted at Flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amaryllisroze/sets/

http://pinterest.com/aroze/

"she knew with the right amount of junk she could create a masterpiece" -- I'm still looking for the right amount of junk
secretlondon
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007 07:49:21 PM »

Etsy is also totally non localised - it seems entirely US based. You can probably sell internationally but I couldn't even work out how to buy from people based in my own country (obviously international shipping is something you want to avoid because of the cost).

They have a "who is local" thing but it's a gimmick - it works on a radius I think not on country.

Ebay is (probably) available in your country and currency. You won't get ripped off for international shipping.

Etsy seems hopelessly US centric - nevermind lower profile.

However on ebay I've seen people have greater success selling crafting parts than finished crafts. My personal results are a bit mixed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
samanthanicole
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007 10:48:54 PM »

I definitely think that people on etsy would appreciate the work and time that goes into crafts more than someone on ebay. I also think that more people on ebay would be looking for a deal. I know that I personally have bought items on ebay specifically for the purpose of saving a little (or a lot of) cash.

For those of you who have tried ebay and had success, what sorts of items were you selling??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jellyfish8706

Let's make it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007 10:00:01 AM »

I've been toying around with the idea of opening an on-line shop for awhile.  The big question is, etsy or ebay? I think that e-bay reaches a larger demographic, but etsy is more crafter friendly. 

FYI I am definately selling corsets and making wallets/ small bags from the remnants.  I also crochet, and might consider selling scarves in the winter time. 

Is it ok to list an item on ebay AND etsy and see where it sells first???

Thanks!
Kelly
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myspace.com/kitschcouturebykelly
gilowyn
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007 11:01:09 AM »

Personally, I think there is no competition - people on eBay are usually looking for bargains and not willing to pay extra for handmade quality. I decided on DaWanda instead of Etsy, partially also because of my location.

I wouldn't post the same products on both platforms. Worst case scenario would be selling both and then having to explain to customers why they aren't getting their items Plus, you are paying double fees.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

notsonicesushi
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007 01:29:23 PM »

I agree with gilowyn. Ebay is not the best place to sell your handmade thing unless you have a customer base already. If you have a customer base already than its alright because then someone will buy it.
If not I think you should stick to etsy because its more crafter friendly. And people are willing to pay more because they know that the things are handmade.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.sourtang.com
Whimsy and Fun Jewelry and Accessories for Independent Women.
http://www.flickr.com/sourtang
http://www.sourtang.tumblr.com
http://www.sourtang.blogspot.com

I'm a bit obsessed w/ blogs. Smiley
jellyfish8706

Let's make it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007 04:11:41 PM »

Thanks for your advice! My biggest concern with etsy is that it is mainly used by crafters who generally use etsy as an inspiration and then make the stuff they see on there themselves instead of actually buying anything.  I don't know if any of you have experience with this, but I have heard several people complain about this before. 

As far as double listing things, I really don't want to pay fees twice, but I am planning on custom making corsets and giving several choices as far as fabric, detail, style, and obviously size and making them to order, so there wouldn't be an issue with accidentally selling the same item to two people. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

gilowyn
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007 04:17:24 PM »

DaWanda has just introduced their StyleLab, where you can pick and choose different customizations of a product - it is awesome! Unfortunately, only available in German right now, but maybe worth the wait?

Here's my first customizable sock bunny - people can send me their own favorite socks, determine the facial expression, ears and what goes on the belly, and I make it according to their specs:
http://de.dawanda.com/create/select?model=80&username=Strumpfkunst
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jellyfish8706

Let's make it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2007 05:10:25 PM »

OMG those are so cute!! Too bad i don't speak german, lol Wink Maybe etsy will do something like that too. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pottery Making: Determining Foot Ring Size When Trimming
How to Make Your Own Photo Canvases
How to Make a Diagonal Stitch in Loom Knitting
How to Make a Stockinette Stitch in Loom Knitting
How to Make a Twisted Stockinette Stitch in Loom Knitting
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...