A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,482
Currently Running With Scissors:
445 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: crocheting hats? help!  (Read 1539 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« on: May 30, 2004 09:57:21 PM »

(please bear with me, I pretty much have no clue what I'm doing)

So.. I kind of taught myself how to crochet last summer. I say kind of because pretty much everything I've made...hasn't really turned out. I've made a few purses, nothing too special. I tried to make myself a hat and failed miserably.

It's almost summer again, and I had another go at the hat thing, but I still cant get it. I used the instructions here http://headhuggers.org/patterns/cpatt03.htm . The part where I keep messing up is where it says "12 dc in ring"... I'm not entirely sure what that means. I know DC means double crochet, but what does the "in ring" part mean? I assume it means..around the ring.. but.. oh, I'm so confused..

Ah, any simple explanation of these instructions would be nice. Or could anyone point me to some sort of visual tutorial online?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
smilenjoy

The greatest thing you will ever learn is to love

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2004 11:01:20 PM »

im trying to learn to crochet myself, and also failing! hehehe i think it might be 12 dc into the ring? im sure i havent been of help but at least i tried! lol
good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Melissa~
scandibird
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004 12:42:20 AM »

It does mean around the ring. You basically treat the whole ring you've just created as 1 loop. When you've joined up the ring with a slip stitch, go under it (on the inside of the ring) with the hook and pull up the thread, then go over it to finish the stitch and the loop you've just made will be on the 'outside' of the ring. repeat.... I find it really hard to read instructions, but sometimes all you have to do is NOT think about it and just do exactly what it says. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Laamissa
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004 12:40:26 PM »

Do you have any crochet books?....the only way I ever could have figured out crocheting in the round is by looking at diagrams.
I agree with scandibird too...if you think about moves sometimes it really makes things harder. 
My only piece of advice to this particular pattern is to "mark" the beggining of each new row with a safety pin, it may make row differentiation easier for you. I find that works well, otherwise the rows tend to blend together and the pattern is more difficult to follow...    Good Luck     ~M
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*D.I.Y or BUST!*~

www.Pumpky.etsy.com
scandibird
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004 04:03:16 PM »

Ok, so I gave in because I know how frustrated I get when I can't figure the instructions out.
Hope it helps!  Smiley And don't mind the crap explanation, just follow the pics...

1. Your 1st round of chains joined with a slip stitch

2. Put the hook through the ring, pull thread back up

3. Pull thread through the 2 loops you now have on your hook

4. done. 1 SC in ring!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004 08:07:53 PM »

aaah!! that would be SO helpful if i could see the pictures. ah well, i dont have time to crochet right now, anyway. Finals. Hopefully I'll be able to see the pictures in three days...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
homara
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004 11:38:21 AM »

i am hving problems with this pattern too, lol i think i read the pattern right, but by 6-7th round, its quite small.....any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mojo
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2004 11:55:22 AM »

It looks to me like rows 5 through 12 should be 48 double-crochets around since you don't increase after the fourth row.  To make the hat larger, you would repeat row four (as many times as necessary) before moving on to row five.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

carlins_mom

"Keep Smiling, they'll wonder what you're hiding"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2004 09:47:11 AM »

The size of the hook also matters, a smaller hook could equal a smaller hat.  When I make hats, and I do often... I use an "I" size hook for the average gal size head (but I have very short hair,  If you have more hair I might use a "K" hook.)

Danielle
THIS ROCKS   Logged
justwantacraft
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2004 09:42:11 PM »

Hello. lets see if I can help...  says here chain 5 then join with a slip stitch .  That is your ring .... Then chain 3   and 12 double crochet inside your ring....(darn lost your pattern)
ok then join to top of first chain right , chain 3 again and 2 double crochet in each and so on?    There is a great site to show you stitches it taught me how to do some. It has video of a person doing the crochet stitches you will find it here.
www.stitchguide.com
hope that helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stephen Hunter on the Assassination of JFK
Stephen Hunter on His Investigative Novel, The Third Bullet
Richard Ford On His New Book Canada
James Bunting Performs His Poem "Conkers"
Everything You Know About the Economy Is Wrong
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...