A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,249
Currently Running With Scissors:
616 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Naalbinding  (Read 8159 times)
Tags for this thread: nalbinding  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ewushka

Remember: Artistic is close to autistic.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 12, 2005 07:09:45 AM »

Naalbinding was a commonly usedteqnique (excuse horrible speeling) by the vikings here in the north.
"Det som länge ansetts vara det äldsta svenska arkeologiska fyndet, "Åslevanten" från Västergötland, har nu Kol-14-analyserats och daterats till mellan år 1510 och 1640." Translation: What has been seen as the oldest swedish archeological finding, "Åslevanten" (a mitten) has now been analyzed and dated to between 1510 and 1640.

I haven't been doing it myself, but I've been promised to be thaught next year by a friend and I'm just a little bit excited Smiley (because besides the three hundred projects I work with at the moment I don't have anything to do Wink )

http://www.dilettante.info/nalbindingpages/osloprimer/osloprimer1.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others." (Groucho Marx)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jespersson
cottontop
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005 03:28:14 PM »

Hej ewushka! är du svensk? Min mor är svensk (från Sverige), och jag kan faktiskt läsa lite, det var så roligt att få svar på svenska!

When I learned how to nålbind, I found the following links REALLY helpful, also the one you posted. The first one is AWESOME--it is in Finnish but doesn't matter, shows the BEST videos of how to do what people here call the Finnish stitch, it's a great stitch but best of all she shows very clearly the thumb method, applies to all the stitches. A lot of people who learn from diagrams in books do a really slow over under over under way that takes 10 x as long...

To see her video clips you first have to click on her "download Dvix player" link near top of the page. unless you already have that player.

Fantastic Nålbinding Videos --Finnish archeologist's thesis and video instruction clips

Great German/English Site --Bernhard Dankbar's great site-gallery of stitches, instruction

Online (Yahoo) Nålbinding forum --great resource, you can search their archives for TONs of tips, info, including archeological and historical info

THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlooCanoe

Pit knitters unite!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005 07:12:56 PM »

Naalbinding was a commonly usedteqnique (excuse horrible speeling) by the vikings here in the north.
"Det som länge ansetts vara det äldsta svenska arkeologiska fyndet, "Åslevanten" från Västergötland, har nu Kol-14-analyserats och daterats till mellan år 1510 och 1640." Translation: What has been seen as the oldest swedish archeological finding, "Åslevanten" (a mitten) has now been analyzed and dated to between 1510 and 1640.

Wow, I'm really surprised that a mitten would last 500 years!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have you hugged your mod today? Smiley

"What I need.... is some wool." (Miss Marple)
ewushka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005 09:18:08 AM »

Wow, I'm really surprised that a mitten would last 500 years!

Swedish quality! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others." (Groucho Marx)

BlooCanoe

Pit knitters unite!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005 10:22:48 AM »

What is not surprising is that they only found ONE mitten.... where DO all those lost mittens get to?  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have you hugged your mod today? Smiley

"What I need.... is some wool." (Miss Marple)
Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005 11:00:59 AM »

What is not surprising is that they only found ONE mitten.... where DO all those lost mittens get to?  Tongue
They run away with the single socks from your washer tub, and the individual shoes from the side of the road!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ewushka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005 03:17:41 PM »

Most likely. But considdering the time and love you put into it when you make it, is it strange it has a life of its own?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

amie

Get Hooked on Style!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005 05:49:04 PM »

Didn't Ren and Stumpy do an episode where they land on the planet of left socks?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

olenka

if i can't dance, i don't want your revolution

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2005 07:58:11 AM »

Free love fore socks and mittens.

I really like that technique, I will tray it one day just fore kicks of knowing how to do something so old and so FORIN Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

happy cricket
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006 04:42:33 PM »

They run away with the single socks from your washer tub, and the individual shoes from the side of the road!

I have a theory about that.   I strongly suspect that, while we are sleeping, a portal opens between dimensions, and sucks the left socks out of my house, whle, flying in through the portal, hundreds of extra coat hangers come through.   At the end of it all, I have a ton of orphan socks, and a crapload of extra coat hangers that I didn't buy.....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bubba of Borg - "Y'all's fixin' ta be assimilated" - Chris Richards

http://cookingsucks.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Marinate Turkey
How to Make Turkey Stuffing
A Visit to Cork and Brew Restaurant in Liberty, MO
Galaxy Restaurant in Wadsworth, OH
Tips For Cooking With Apples
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...