A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: avian xmas presents (with vague tutorialish outline thingy)  (Read 2261 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Duckie

Fifty-seven academics just punched the air.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005 08:42:45 AM »

1. Awesome knitting.
2. You're hilarious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
coolgrin
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005 09:07:47 AM »

Awesome. Simply awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Overheard in New York http://www.overheardinnewyork.com/

Man to girlfriend: Shit, I like that Martha Stewart. She a gangsta in disguise.

--Kmart, Astor Place
thevaticant

I'm cold. And my legs hurt.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2005 11:12:55 AM »

heh those are so cute!
when i saw the title, i'll admit, i was hoping for someone showing a picture of their birdy in a teeny birdy sweater.
i'm not disappointed though, cuz those felted birds are precious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ask not what your rest home can do for you, but what you can do for your rest home.
wrybrarian
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2005 12:12:52 PM »

So, isn't Wren the main character in some fantasy book (the title of which is escaping my brain right now)?

I love that felted stuffed bird. Did you use a pattern for it? If not, any chance you'd post directions?

xox
rachel

EDIT: Mwah ha ha! I remember now. Wren is the heroine in the book, Staying Dead by Laura Anne Gilman. I didn't love it, but I liked the name. And yes, I'm a dork.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005 12:19:59 PM by wrybrarian » THIS ROCKS   Logged

katymcf
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2005 02:26:17 PM »

Those are really great.

Where did you get the pattern for the felted birds?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beccabur
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2005 03:25:17 PM »

Those are lovely!  I'd also be interested in the felted bird patterns - my boyfriend is a birdwatcher and it would be an excellent gift for him.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2005 06:44:36 PM »

i'm going to momentarily morph into one of those annoying non-knitters that dont realise the amount of effort it takes to make a knitted object.
*sproing*

WIL YOU MAKE ME A STOCKING JUST LIKE THAT ONE PLEEEEEEEEEASE? PRETTY PRETTY PLEASE?

*sproing*

sorry. but i love, love, love that stocking. and hate, hate, hate colourwork.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aliciasjoy

my alien kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2005 07:47:43 PM »

Aww, they're all beautiful.  I think the psycho-killer stitching is actually really cute and touching.  The stocking is amazing, I bet your friend bursts into happy tears when she sees it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SisterMercy

55% water. 45% candy and cheap wine.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2005 08:03:32 PM »

I made up the pattern for both birds as I went along.

The large one was first, using size 10 needles and Paton's wool, I cast on 3 stitches with a provisional cast on (well, actually I wrapped three stitches around a needle, and pulled the end of the yarn through them from the stitch on the far side of it, so I didn't have to thread it through to pull tight later).  I pretty much gravitate towards knitting things in the round, so it's primarily seamless except for a bit I knit back and forth around the stomach to be able to stuff it.  For the beak, I knit every other row with a single increase for a few rows (I must have done most of my increasing at the top from the way the beak curves), and then increased one per row for a couple more.  Once it was a good beak length, I knit 1, made 1 all the way around for 2 rows, then knit 2, made 1, for one row, to get it to open out for the face.  Somewhere in here I think is where the ruffling occurred- it was a happy accident.  Ruffling will happen more on bigger needles, I believe, since there's more slack for it to pull across, and the felting just firms it up, whereas smaller needles would make it ruffle less.  Then I started shortrowing to get it to turn, with a marker at the middle, and knitting a few to one side and purling that many back on the other side of the marker to pair them, and just did that back and forth until the head was turned to a good place- I also did some decreasing in the later short rows to give him more of a neck.  I did a couple more rows with the decreasing going back to the round, and then did a bunch of knit rows because I liked the width I'd gotten to.  I started increasing again for the body, a couple of increases per row, ramping up to about 6 per row, pairing my increases on either side.  Some more straight up knitting, and then I reached where I wanted the slit for stuffing, so I knit/purled back and forth leaving a straight opening.  After reconnecting, I started decreasing to pull in at the tail- pulling the decreases mostly at the belly, until it was a good tail section.  Then a bunch more knitting until the tail looked about long enough, and some decreasing at either side of the tail over a few rows, grafting it closed at the end.

The wings are separate and sewn on, casting on 5, increasing at either side for a while until it looked wide enough, stockinette for a few rows until I liked the length at that width, and then decreasing at either side until I reached 5 stitches, that row was k, k3tog, k, and the next was p3tog, pulling the tail through the last stitch to finish.  For the large bird I felted all the pieces separately first, for the small I sewed the wings on before felting.  I threw the large bird int he washer for about half the cycle, and the small for the full cycle.  I did no gauge swatching or anything first- since I figured just about any size would work, and if the big one went tiny, it could be the ornament.

Unfelted and underfed:

No more cookies for you!  Look at that gut!

The small bird came after I'd finished the stocking, so instead of wrap and turn for the short rows I slipped a stitch back (because that's how the heel was turned, and I'd actually theorized something similar, but never done short rows on anything with visible stitches, so I hadn't bothered to try it yet - for one it avoids that bar from the wrapping, and also is a slightly smoother transition).  Other than that, it's a simpler and shorter version of the larger- cast on 2 stitches, increase once on a couple of rows, then increase into every stitch.  Modified short rows to turn and shape the head, I omitted the head increases because he didn't has a great giant head, increasing out for the body, decreasing back in for the tail, and decreasing on the sides of the tail only on one row.  The wings were also basically the same, just casting on fewer and increasing out less.  I didn't leave the hole this time, and cut open the back post felting (because I forgot until I was far enough on the body I didn't feel like going back and putting it in).

I personally do not mind that they named their child a bird name- after all, it makes things easy for me!  If I do manage to be together enough, I'm planning to send an ornament and a stuffed toy every year (I have leftover fabric from the wedding, so someday I'll use that)- I just figure the poor child might get tired of it at some point.

And with my people, getting a box of spiders/monkeys/John Cleese/bats every year would be more appropriate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I myself am... strange and unusual.
taped_on_wings
Queen of ill-fated physical comedy

Leave the politics to madmen

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2005 08:12:52 PM »

Wow...that stocking!  Such patience and talent!  And the stuffed birdys...all lovely.

And with my people, getting a box of spiders/monkeys/John Cleese/bats every year would be more appropriate.

HAH!  I want a box of John Cleese...Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.robotheartsquid.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/taped_on_wings
http://theonlyevidence.blogspot.com/

Before birds get sucked into jet engines, do they ever think, "Is that Rod Stewart in first class?" ~Eddie Izzard
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose the Right Blow Drying Brush
How to Find a Parting
How to Choose the Right Styling Products
How to Use Curlers
How to Get Loose Curls
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...