A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,603
Currently Running With Scissors:
642 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: quest to find my artsy side.  (Read 824 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ayeshcube
« on: December 14, 2005 05:30:57 PM »

so. I hope this is the right place.
Well, I don't want to go on a long rant, but:
I moved to piece of poo (small town) Long Island two years ago from Toronto and it's sloly driving me crazy being in the suburbs, not being able to drive, and being limited to this un-interesting place. I realized that I need an outlet, and decided that there were two things that I have wanted to try for a very long time and that there is no better time than my holiday break (we get a whole MONTH in this country!!!) to start. So, what are the two things? Painting and Mosaics. For Mosaics, I bought some tiles last year and some mix for the um...what do you call it...the paste stuff, I forget what it's called, grout. But, I don't know what to put it on. How to start a design. I know this sounds so basic, but can anyone help me think of how to start mosaicing? Like, what should I mosaic on?
Painting. Well, I guess for that what I need to do is go out and buy paint? What kind should I get? What colours? And again the question, what should I paint on? Should I just buy canvas? They sell like...canvas on hard pieces of..I don't know what at Michaels, but it's pretty expensive considering I don't know how to paint. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks sooo much. I really hope that I can find a sort of creative outlet (I'm very emotional) and maybe this could be it. I appreciate any help. THANK YOU.  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ayeshcube
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005 05:36:31 PM »

oh my gosh it's in the wrong place again. I'm sorry, I wanted to post this in more art less craft discussions and questions and made a huge mistake. what do I do?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pursecution
It never felt so good to be Pursecuted!

www.pursecution.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005 06:20:41 PM »

Ok, I have no idea about mosaics, but as for painting, I just started a couple of years ago and have gone through a lot of supplies trying to figure out what I like.  I started with water color, than acrylic and am now on to oils.  I think oils is the hardest to start with, it requires a lot of patience.  You can get art reference books on how to use different mediums (there is one called Art Techniques that I've used a bunch) , but I would suggest starting with acrylic.  You can use it watered down for a see thru effect or full blast.  Just buy the primary colors plus black and white, so your not spending a bunch, then get a feel for it. You can also buy pads of canvas paper for nice and cheap. You may go a different direction in the future, so why invest a ton. Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have yourself a dandy!
ayeshcube
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005 07:51:50 PM »

oh my gosh, thanks. I'll definitely look for that. Any idea where to buy that? I mean, I was thinking Michael's Arts and Crafts, but would that be a good place to get that kind of stuff? I don't know how one would search for a paint store online for example without it seeming like a paint store like benjamin moore or something.  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pursecution

www.pursecution.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005 06:09:48 AM »

I would look at any local art supply store.  Michaels has some stuff, but the local art places would have more revolving around painting, especially if you have colleges near by.  Most offer a student discount too, if you are one and have an id.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have yourself a dandy!
pursecution

www.pursecution.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005 06:10:09 AM »

I would look at any local art supply store.  Michaels has some stuff, but the local art places would have more revolving around painting, especially if you have colleges near by.  Most offer a student discount too, if you are one and have an id.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have yourself a dandy!
babyland
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005 04:50:54 PM »

I suggest don't start off painting with water colors. Its a pain in the ass to find the right color to work with. Having  some drawing skills comes in handy too,but thats just my opinion.   http://www.greekmosaics.com/Techniques.htm this website is very helpful with mosaics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!!<br />Art is born in attention. Its midwife is detail.<br />CARPE DIEM!!!!!
diosaperdida
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005 01:51:30 PM »

Acrylics are a good begining point..oils are slow to dry and its easy to get side tracked. I would start on canvas...I dont like Michaels prices at all. I go to an art supply store called Prizm..they are the cheapest in this area and have everything. They also have a catalog for people who live in States they dont have retail stores in. Whatever you do, get decent brushes. I dont get trying to learn with lower quality supplies. Thats especially when you should have the best you can afford. I use white nylon brushes almost exclusivly. They let the paint go on smooth, and can handle both full bodied paint and watered down, or paint mixed with mediums.
I agree with the above statement...work on drawing too. That makes a big difference in your paintingsd. Your sketch is like nyour guide.
Another good thing..canvas pads..its sheets of canvas. I use them to work out how I will paint on..and just simply practice. A big one allows for alot of paint "doodling"
As for mosaics..there is alot of online instruction. You can mosaic ALOT of surfaces. Again..a sketch of the pattern or pic on the surface to be mosaiced is the starting point..after you have worked out your design on paper ofcourse. Mosaic is VERY rewarding..pretty quick to see progress...and just plain pretty.
I wish you the best of luck. A life is fuller with creating going on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Maintaining, Protecting and Displaying Your Sports Card Collection
Selling a Vintage Sports Card Collection
Determining the Value of a Vintage Sports Card Collection
How to Play a Math Building Card Game
Traditional Music of Uzbekistan
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...