A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,779
Currently Running With Scissors:
414 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: best resources for learning how to paint?  (Read 776 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: November 14, 2005 11:52:47 PM »

really can't afford art classes at the moment, and definately can't afford paintings for my apartment, so I was wondering what anyone thought was the best diy teach yourself to paint resources...

I'm tempted to ask for one of the Bob Ross learn to paint kits for Christmas - I know they're not very original, but the fact is I LOVED his show when I was little - actually I always drew trees with crayon based on the way he painted them, LOL!!! (doesn't quite look as well, but hey, LOL!)

Anyway - problem with that is also that the painting doesn't have much color, and I love paintings with a lot of color (yet I'm also drawn to more traditional paintiings which means I don't often see a whole lot of paintings I really love) - I think I'm just really picky, because theres nothing I don't like about contemporary either...LOL

I am the Ultimate Houswife

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005 09:54:23 PM »

I've had a few painting classes in college so if you need any ideas for something to paint i could probably come up with something.  We did a few cool things in my class.  I love color too.  If i paint something it always has bright bold colors in it.  Let me know if you need any ideas.  As for DIY sites on painting, i don't know of any.  Happy Painting!

"A hundred years from now it will not matter how much was in your bank account or the kind of car you drove but that you made a difference in the life of a child." - Unknown

"Follow your wishing heart"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005 10:10:47 PM »

The best way to learn to paint is to learn to draw.  You absolutely won't be able to paint without the basic concepts of drawing (shading, composition, perspective, blah, blah, blah...) If you can already draw then all you need to do is to buy the kind of paint you want to work with (acrylics are the easiest), a few brushes of different shapes and sizes (buy some brushes that are in the middle of the price range - cheap ones are total trash and expensive ones aren't worth it when you're learning) and start playing with the paint.  Learn how it feels and how it behaves.  Learn how to make it do what you want it to do by accidentally making it do 20 things you didn't mean to make it do.  Lots of time with a paint brush in your hand is the best resource for learning how to paint.

Good luck!

"rise and drink your bliss"

Treat people how you like to be treated!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005 07:38:37 PM »

I have to agree. However, you can go to your local library and find a wealth of resources. Also PBS airs a show here called "Free Style Oil Painting", the guy is amazing! If you don't get it, I'd be happy to record it for you. d Smiley

If only closed minds came with closed mouths!

If the world is getting smaller, why do postage rates keep going up?

Personal swap anyone?
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005 10:13:11 AM »

after doing a lot of experimenting with all sorts of different paints, I have actually found that oil paints are the easiest to work with. Yes, they are think, but they can be thinned down using turpeniod or Liquin. They dry rather slow and can take several weeks to REALLY dry, so if you cant finnish a painting that day, its relatively easy to still blend with and stuff the next day, (depending on how thick you put it on)... painting is fun... just experiment!

Walking alone
At the hour when we are
Trembling with tenderness
Lips that would kiss
Form prayers to broken stone
- T.S. Elliot
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Creative Easter Centerpieces
How to Make Marbled Easter Eggs
How to Make Golden Glitter Easter Eggs
How to Make Lace Easter Eggs
How to Make Silk Tie Dyed Easter Eggs
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...