A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
408 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: art selling and commisioning  (Read 586 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xtine821

I love Paris in the springtime....

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2005 01:09:25 PM »

Hi I am a former fine arts major and was recently thinking of doing my art on commisions, as well as selling my art.  Any tips on how I can start doing this?  I do a lot of drawings mostly, but also acryllic and mixed media paintings.  I really want to start making art for a purpose and selling my work.  Any suggestions from your own experience on how I would start advertising my art and looking for commisions would be GREATLY appreciated.  Thank you so so  much!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The commonplace and everyday are the essence of experience." - Donald Pizer
xtine821

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005 02:17:21 PM »

Have any of you succeeded in selling your art?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BadBird
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005 07:49:46 AM »

Hi, I have a lot of experience in selling my artwork.  Here are my tips:

1. first, start intering local juried art shows. Not to win prizes, but to just be seen.  Don't take it personal if you don't make it in, just find another show to enter. 

2.  Coffee house shows.  A lot of coffee house let you show your work and don't take a commission if your art sells.

3. Even though I got tired of being part of an art organization, joining one early in your career helps you meet people that can be friends and contacts. 

(now, all that I listed above will NOT get you much in the way of sales, but it will introduce you to the world. Much like any business, it takes about 5 years for the sells to build.)

Galleries:

1.  I use the internet to look at galleries, to see if my art fits with theirs.

2.  I submit to galleries using my website. I used to send slides, but they where expensive and most of the time I would never get them back. Even with a SASE.

3.  When first starting, only show in galeries that are close enough to drive to.  Just encase they flake on you.

4.  Don't show in a gallery that doesn't have a contract.  (The contract has saved my butt a couple times)

Finally, don't take rejection personally.  Not everyone has to like your are. Its you job to seek out people who 'get' and understand your work.  Any kind of art sales if it hanging in a space where the clients understand it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.andreazuill.com - Paintings and Embroidery
www.badbird.etsy.com - Art Prints and Embroidery patterns
http://zuill.us/andreablog/
xtine821

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005 07:20:56 PM »

Those tips are wonderful!  Thank you so so much!  I really am an amateur artist, though, still in college.  Do you think I could still make it maybe, even if I'm just starting out and looking for extra money?  Other people in my art classes sold their art all the time, with not much or any effort in advertising.  I'm hoping to do the same.  Is anyone else an amateur at selling art, and how did you sell yours?  Many thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lemohm
Knight of clubs

I don't know how to play the harmonica.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005 10:57:37 PM »

It is always handy to have an online portfolio.
But most important make yourself known in the art world of your city. Go to local art exhibits or emm.. "arty places", speak with people, and try and introduce them to your work without trying to sell... yet. Maybe something like "I draw as well, In fact i think I am carrying a couple of illustrations with me, would you like to see them? I would really appreciate to see what you think" and stuff like that. If its possible make a couple of acquaintances you speak regularly, and when you have the opportunity you can say something like "You know I am interested in selling, do you know anyone who would be interested" or something like that, they might even bring them up themselves. If you are good you won't have much problems.

Getting involved with people is the key, at least for me it has worked (Though I didn't do it on purpose, someone just asked if I could do some stuff for them.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lauren Conrad at Her Allure April 2014 Cover Shoot
Teen Vogue Editor Elaine Welteroth Responds to Your Comments
How to Combat Your Dry Skin
Birchbox Limited Edition Box: Free for All Unboxing!
Best Day Time Eye Shadows
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...