A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 304,869
Currently Running With Scissors:
468 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Steve Buscemi Bleach Stencil  (Read 49928 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jennaylala

I *heart* hegemons (and nerds)

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2004 03:31:16 PM »

So I was intensely jealous when I saw all these silk screen stenciled t-shirts. Not having/knowing the proper paint to use, I decided that I would use something I had -- a bleach pen! I went through the same process as shown in the Sophia Loren Tutorial to get the stencil, but instead of cutting out the black i cut out the white parts. Then I put it on my shirt and applied the gel with the pen. I found it worked best where it dried. So here is my first attempt at t-shirtdom:

It is a bit funky, but I enjoy it. I'm thinking of adding his name onto it to tell people who it is. I'd appreciate any feedback you have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Haha.. you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous being: Never get involved in a land war in Asia. Only slightly less well know is this: Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!
moonunit426
Democrafter

Dear Duct Tape, You hold my life together. <3 M.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2004 09:53:08 PM »

are bleach pens common? where do you get them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stellamoon
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004 05:36:33 AM »

thats excellent. i think the bleach gives it a cool effect. plus steve buscemi rules
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennaylala

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004 08:02:58 AM »

are bleach pens common? where do you get them?

They're a relatively new product. Clorox makes them for stain fighting purposes, and you can find them in the laundry aisle at your supermarket. I bought mine at Wal*mart when I got the t-shirts.

I have a few kinks to work out in working with the bleach, like how to make it even and how long to leave it on. Here is my latest attempt:

This is my attempt at my favorite Red Sox player Johnny Damon, I wish I had left the bleach on longer, but I like the effect nonetheless.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Haha.. you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous being: Never get involved in a land war in Asia. Only slightly less well know is this: Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!
bouchonavecpou
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2004 01:33:22 PM »

way cool! its like the whole vintage tee effect...i love the whole bleach pen idea... very original!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wizkid
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2004 09:31:27 PM »

This is totally awesome! I love that you chose Steve as your subject. He is highly underrated.

Did you just sort of trace your stencil with the pen and then fill it in? This method seems like it would be easier than using paint. What did you use for the stencil? I've heard that contact paper is useful, but I'd be interested to know what works best with this method.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the blog: http://katiesredumbrella.blogspot.com/

the etsy: http://katiecanavan.etsy.com

ravelry: serafinapekkala
jennaylala

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2004 06:03:18 PM »

I agree Steve is definitely underrated, I just love him...especially in Ghost World.

On my first stencil (being Steve). That's exactly what I did, I outlined it with the pen then filled it in. I figured out though that applying a thinner, more even layer gave a more even result in the bleached area (see buddha below). The thicker areas of bleach actually can bleach less if they don't dry enough...drying is key! So less is really more when using the bleach. As far as the stencils...well I don't really have a stencil...I just use the paper I print out. The bleach seeps a little, which I like; it makes the edges less even. To keep the bleach from seeping too much I take off the paper as soon as it gels up a little. I'm thinking about laminating some of the stencils I intend to use a lot, until then I'm ok with making one of a kind shirts.

Hope that was helpful!

Oh and here is Buddha for an example of the evenly spread bleach:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

flamgirlant
just your average crafty broad

I may be a woman but I ain't no lady

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2004 06:38:09 PM »

I love the shirts... love the vintage look.  I have a bleach pen and old T lying around... think I'm going to have to give it a shot.  Thanks for the inspiration!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lizijimi
Crafty Chica!!

I HEART THIS MAN! ;o)

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2004 08:10:47 PM »

Oh these are awesome!  Grin  Something new to try....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~*~Lizi Wizi Fo Fizi~*~*
wealhtheow
if this isn't nice, what is?

ting-a-ling, you bastards!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2004 09:27:24 AM »

By "funky" do you mean bleachy-smelling? Is it safe to wash, or would it fall apart? I just LOVE steve AND your design! :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What to Do with the Holiday Leftovers?
Ham and Mushroom Pasta Bake Recipe
Slow-Cooker Pear and Apple Butter Recipe
How to Make Fried Eggs
How to Make Poached Eggs in a Spicy Tomato Sauce
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...