A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,076
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cat Smell Prevention!  (Read 6499 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jnaos

"Creative clutter is better than idle neatness."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2006 09:35:47 PM »

We have a covered box, I buy a new pan once a year.  I use Tidy Cat multi Cat and I like it.  I clean the box out once a day.. I have two cats and you wouldn't know they are there.

I buy a new pan because I believe that the plastic eventually absorbs the urine smell.  My covered part is actually a club house looking cover made of washable material that I bought from Collections, Etc (if you don't know what that shopping catalog is, everything  is 15 and under and they have great gifts for those on a budget).. I'm not sure if they still have them in stock but I run into someone that sells them on ebay here and there. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dustyfro
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010 09:28:40 PM »

I am dealing with this problem big time, which is why I went digging up such an old post.  I used to have just one cat, but then my roommate moved in with hers and all of a sudden when I leave the house, I can smell that gross gagging smell on my scarf and my wool coat.  I have a friend who keeps two cats and never cleans her apartment and I do not go over there anymore because it's so gross.  She carries the smell with her, in her clothes and hair, and now *I* am that person too.  I am mortified.  It gets into my knitting, even.  Besides telling my roommate to be as diligent with her cat's litter box as I am, I need a solution NOW.

I've dumped a jar of baking soda all over the carpet in my apartment and I'm leaving it until tomorrow to vacuum up.  I've got one of those Febreeze oil warmer plug in things so that at least my room smells fresh.  What else can I do?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Book reviews and blog:  http://froregon.blogspot.com
wists list: http://www.wists.com/froregon

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy. Albert Einstein
tomico
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010 12:12:40 AM »

I seriously don't understand people who have 'indoor' cats to be honest. They aren't meant to be confined. Your taking one of the most free souls ever created and caging it.

Let it do it's business outside. You won't have a horrid smell in the house and it's environmentally friendly too.

Well, I can say that I would love to have an indoor / outdoor cat but my cat has FIV and so his immune system is compromised and I wouldn't want him to spread it to other cats. He used to be an outdoor cat before I rescued him. And now that I know how much of a risk there is I may not ever be able to have an outdoor cat.

Oh, and if you have a garden you never want a cat to releave itself in there.

As for accidents that may happen despite all planning in the world, you can use vinegar to neutralise the smell of urine. My cat is older and has issues sometimes. I have an automatic cat litter box but it seems to be more work than just having a regular litter box because the disposable boxes don't fit right and the litter keeps falling underneath. (You would think that the designers would have tested the reliability.) I used Swheat because I think it is more eco friendly by using a wheat by product that would have been wasted anyway. I probably could add baking soda but haven't yet.

Good luck.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dustyfro
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010 11:29:04 PM »

I don't know about a free soul...my cat just sleeps all the time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Book reviews and blog:  http://froregon.blogspot.com
wists list: http://www.wists.com/froregon

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy. Albert Einstein
Alexus1325
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010 03:47:16 AM »

For dustyfro, I know it's been awhile since you've posted in this topic, but I have some advice:

When my current room-mate's cat marks (cuz he's not neutered, and in Northern Ontario, it's HELLAH expensive for any sort of vet visit), I grab my dollar-store spray bottle and put into it a tiny blob of dish soap, a bit of vinegar and an equal amount of hot water, in that order. Then I go around spraying everything in the vicinity of the wretched stench. Once the vinegar smell dissipates and you stop craving french fries, the urine odor has been neutralized. I've tested this by actually leaving the house after spraying the vinegar. I come home to a cat-stink-free house.

If you find your coat, carpet, drapes, bedcovers, whatever, are smelly with ANY sort of stink, just spritz with the vinegar mix and it'll at least be diminished if not completely removed.

As for the whole prevention aspect of this topic, I totally agree that baking soda works great for urine smell. In my house, the female cat is the stinky one usually, because she doesn't like to cover her poop Tongue I've actually seen with my own eyes, the male cat will go get in the catbox JUST to cover the female's stinky poop! So having a nice deep box so you can have lots of litter with which to cover their toillette is a good idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bluelodge
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2010 05:52:02 AM »

"Nature's Miracle" is great.  You can also leave a dish of vinegar near the cat box.  It helps absorb the odors.  When I scoop out the litter box (daily) I put the "refuse" into  an empty coffee can. No odors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
noturavggeek
"This is my art, and it is dangerous! Do you think I want to die like this?" Delia Deetz

I want to live 'til I die. No More, No Less

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2010 08:15:41 AM »

For dustyfro, I know it's been awhile since you've posted in this topic, but I have some advice:

When my current room-mate's cat marks (cuz he's not neutered, and in Northern Ontario, it's HELLAH expensive for any sort of vet visit), I grab my dollar-store spray bottle and put into it a tiny blob of dish soap, a bit of vinegar and an equal amount of hot water, in that order. Then I go around spraying everything in the vicinity of the wretched stench. Once the vinegar smell dissipates and you stop craving french fries, the urine odor has been neutralized. I've tested this by actually leaving the house after spraying the vinegar. I come home to a cat-stink-free house.

If you find your coat, carpet, drapes, bedcovers, whatever, are smelly with ANY sort of stink, just spritz with the vinegar mix and it'll at least be diminished if not completely removed

As for the whole prevention aspect of this topic, I totally agree that baking soda works great for urine smell. In my house, the female cat is the stinky one usually, because she doesn't like to cover her poop Tongue I've actually seen with my own eyes, the male cat will go get in the catbox JUST to cover the female's stinky poop! So having a nice deep box so you can have lots of litter with which to cover their toillette is a good idea.

Hi Alexus,
One thing to try for cat spraying is feliway, its a synthetic pheremone that resembles the pheremones in their cheek glands. My vet swears by the stuff for all manner of things, including calming down kitties when they're in the car or going to the vet!

For the smell, we keep a glade plugin in an outlet near the litter box, and mix fresh step odor absorbing crystals in with their litter. With one cat odor wasn't so much a problem, but now we have 2 and it takes a little bit more to keep odor in control.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Lighten Certain Areas of an Image
How to Retouch in Photoshop
How to Make Big Prints in Photoshop
Photoshop tutorial
How to Removing Objects in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...