A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,063
Currently Running With Scissors:
436 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cat Smell Prevention!  (Read 6937 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

missystuhff
« on: December 13, 2005 09:10:14 AM »

Hello Ladies! I am getting a new cat for Christmas (I saw him and we fell in love) I am really excited, but I was wondering what you all did to help quell the cat smell. I know that cleaning the litterbox daily is important, but what else works for you. Do  you recommend any specific litter or anything? This is my first inside cat since I was little, and then my mom took care of everything.. Thanks in advance!
Melissa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.    L.M. Alcott
spiderlady
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005 12:53:56 PM »

I almost never buy stuff I've seen on TV informercials, but I ordered some of that Zero Odor spray, and I have to say, it works really well.  When I clean out my litterbox (I have two kitties) I spray it liberally, and it really keeps the odor down.  My son no longer complains about litter box smell every time he comes over, and he has a super-sensitive nose.  Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am an apologist for the spiders.

Just treat me no differently than you would the Tarantula Queen.
dee521

bear paws make me happy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005 11:28:23 AM »

you can also line the bottom of the pan with baking soda before you put the litter in. we recently tried litter with larger granuales and it STINKS!! just doesn't clump much so it's all free floating. and plug in air fresheners. either way you look at it, you have an outhouse inside your home  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sammyb

Mmm... Bowie...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005 11:49:34 AM »

There's this stuff sold at PetSmart, PetCo, etc. called "Nature Magic" or something close... It's a tall white bottle, red cap.  It's a powder enzyme that will kill the cat piss smell.  (Sorry, I HAVE to use that word to describe the smell... it will never be so little as cat pee, cat urine... no way.  Always cat piss.)

It works well enough to clean our two-cat, two-litter box apartment haul (if we need to wait that long, or get lazy) once a week, and wonderfully when we do it normally twice a week.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every time Olive Oyl flails her noodle-like arms in the air and cries for Popeye's help, a feminist angel gets her wings ripped off her back.  (courtesy of mental_floss.)
nickerly_kitten

Pandora's shoe box

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005 04:20:02 PM »

cats really dont smell as much as you think they would.

either that or my house is so saturated with kitty urine that i cant smell it any more....

i reccomend a large toy box instead of a litter tray and lots of litter so they can burying it properly.

plus one litter box per cat plus one (eg three ctas, you need four boxes) to prevent the cats leaving out stinky reminders in teritory wars!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gary_The_Snail
Peter-Pan-esque

You is on dat building!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005 06:57:30 PM »

I don't actually have a cat myself but I work at a pet store so believe me, I know what I'm talking about! At Paulmac's Pet Food (I live in Canada so I'm not sure if they have these where you live) we sell a bunch of odor control products. Sammyb, I think we sell what you are talking about. We have this line of products called "Nature's Miracles" and they're a natural and safe way to get ride of odor.

Now that I've expressed my knowledgable petshop girl side, I'd like to give you a crafty idea. How about buying some pot pouri ( you wouldn't need too much) and filling some little fabric pouches with it? I've done this for my drawers and my undies smell gorgeous! If you put a pouch near the litterbox and maybe other spots around your house, it would really cover up any cat odour. As a side note, I bought a little packet of lose cat nip and made some cat nip puches for my uncle's cat Guff and he loved them! That's a little easy/cheap/crafty idea that's sure to please your new kitty! Hope some of this helped and good luck with you new cat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A sewing machine and a lab coat. The best of both worlds.
thisisserious
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005 07:17:10 AM »

I just adopted a 7 week old kitten two weeks ago. The cat that i had before him was indoor/outdoor and refused to use a litter box. He would always go outside. Anyways, I found myself wondering about good litters and what not since his litter box is in my room and I don't want my room smelling gross. I have figured out the solution.

The litter is Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra Clumping Cat Litter (look here). It's unscented and clumps like a miracle. There's no caked urine on the bottom of the litter pan and the clumps are solid and stay that way. There also has been absolutely no litter tracked outside of my kitten's box, which is rare. I chose this one instead of the Classic because the Ultra is intended for multi-cat households, so the odor elimination is better.

Then, I use Arm & Hammer Cat Litter Deodorizer with Baking Soda (look here). When you clean the box, mix it into the litter. I also sprinkle it on top once or twice a day to keep things smelling fresh.

The most important thing is to clean the litter box often enough. Once a day, I scoop out the poop. It's really easy because you can just sift the poop and then flush it. Depending on how many urine clumps there are, I clean out the clumps every two to three days. Remember that my kitten is really tiny and young, though, so he doesn't pee a lot and his poos are tiny. I'm sure I'll have to clean the urine clumps daily as he gets older. Cleaning the urine is the worst part because as you're sifting the clumps and dropping them in a bag, the odors that are locked in get released. I just pour a ton of the Arm & Hammer stuff in the bag and hold my breath. Just make sure you don't flush the pee clumps! The litter is essentially tiny rocks and you'll end up with a $500 bill from the plumber to unclog your pipes. Thankfully, I never did that, but my mom learned the hard way which is how I know. Haha.

There's also the Litter Locker (look here). I'm seriously considering getting it. Our garbage man only comes once a week and leaving urine sitting in the garbage can outside makes it stink, which attracts raccoons. You just drop the clumps in the Litter Locker and turn the handle and it locks it up in a bag that doesn't have to be changed for something like two weeks.

Anyways, I just gave you a ridiculous amount of information so I hope it helped. Haha. I just know that the litter box is about 5 feet away from where my head is when I'm in bed and I don't smell a thing. I hope things are going well with the cat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Solorn

Doesn't play well with others

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005 07:25:14 AM »

I seriously don't understand people who have 'indoor' cats to be honest. They aren't meant to be confined. Your taking one of the most free souls ever created and caging it.

Let it do it's business outisde. You won't have a horrid smell in the house and it's environmentally friendly too. For a kitten use something like Oust, Neutradol or a natural spray made with a little oil, water and lavender or pine essential oil. If your kitten keeps messing in places it shouldn't, use the same spray base as above but add orange oil to it. They can't stand it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jujubee
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005 06:55:09 PM »

It depends on your outlook. I'd rather a cat be healthy, alive, and confined than eaten by a coyote, run over by a car, or diseased.

Back to the original topic -- I think Nature's Miracle works great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chelsea
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006 11:17:08 AM »

When we had one cat, it wasn't too bad, clean the litter box everyday (every other day maybe).  It was only bad when we wouldn't get all the clumps of urine since they break up a little sometimes.

But when we had two cats it was unbearable.  We would have to change the litter completely every other day to keep the smell out.   But the best thing I've found is Feline Pine.  It's amazing.  You don't smell urine at all...and when I was sick a few weeks ago, that litter box went uncleaned for four days, and you couldn't smell a thing (and I didn't have a cold, so that's not why, lol).   All you do is scoop out the poo and the urine turns the pine pellets into sawdust, it says to shake the sawdust to the bottom, but if there's a big area, I'll just scoop it out.   I'm pretty sure it's flushable too.   I absolutely love it. 

Our oldest cat has a slight problem with it though, I think he doesn't like walking on the little pellets, so he's been poo-ing on the bed.   Lol, but that's just because he's a dumb cat. 

The only smell we've had since using this is when my cats forget they're cats, and they poo and don't cover it up. 

About keeping cats indoors.  It depends on the situation.  For us, we live 50 feet from a busy road, that connects to THE busiest road in the city.  We also aren't allowed to let our pets outside (in our lease).  And even with a collar, my cats are so important to me I don't know what I would do if someone saw one of them outside and felt like keeping it.

Another example - an area more agreeable to cats being outside is my parents house.  My mom has a cat that was hit by a car when it was a kitten (because it was outside...) and has brain damage and can't move on of his paws past the elbow, he just kinda scoots it around.  He did get out one time, got in a fight with another cat, is now scared to death of the outside and has Feline Aids.

It might be a great idea for you or for where some people live, but people live in a million different kinds of places. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
radsteph
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2006 10:07:42 AM »

I almost never buy stuff I've seen on TV informercials, but I ordered some of that Zero Odor spray, and I have to say, it works really well.  When I clean out my litterbox (I have two kitties) I spray it liberally, and it really keeps the odor down.  My son no longer complains about litter box smell every time he comes over, and he has a super-sensitive nose.  Hope this helps.

Can you only buy that from informercials?
Or can you get it at a regular pet store?Like Petsmart
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Steph
owl_friends
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2006 09:56:12 AM »

I like World's Best Cat litter. It's flushable, biodegradable, and the odour is next to nil once the stuff absorbs. Plus if a kitten eats it, it's organic so it won't harm them.  Also they seem to like the feel of it. I think if I were a cat I would poop in this stuff.

If you are already using something else you can switch to WBCL a third at a time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Adi
LittleJoi
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006 04:38:10 PM »

My house never smelled like cat when I had one because I used to give my cat a bath every 10 days.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog: Sweet crafty goodness from me to you http://www.deliciousstitches.blogspot.com/
artsylydia
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006 02:56:58 PM »

a covered litterbox helps.  my cat's box is totally enclosed.  she has a little "doggy door" to go through.  it totally blocks that litter smell.

i don't know if it's just because i've had cats for so long or what- but i don't think cats smell at all.  i only notice a smell in houses that have a lot of cats.  like more than 5.  and even then- if the person vacuums a lot, it might not be that noticeable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hand Embroidered Paper Goods: http://www.etsy.com/shop/artsylydia
diosaperdida
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006 03:05:21 PM »

I seriously don't understand people who have 'indoor' cats to be honest. They aren't meant to be confined. Your taking one of the most free souls ever created and caging it.

Let it do it's business outisde. You won't have a horrid smell in the house and it's environmentally friendly too. For a kitten use something like Oust, Neutradol or a natural spray made with a little oil, water and lavender or pine essential oil. If your kitten keeps messing in places it shouldn't, use the same spray base as above but add orange oil to it. They can't stand it.

I worked as a vet tech for many years..I saw some horrific things happen to outdoor cats..even one being eaten alive by maggots.
He had just been hit by a car when someone finally brought the poor soul in.... The damage from the car was the least of his problems.
Just something to think about.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
diosaperdida
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2006 03:08:13 PM »

Nueter your cat if it is a male, and scoop/clean the box daily. You shouldn't have too much of an order problem.
Alot of times when people think "cat smell" it is from the urine of an intact male cat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
shewantsxglamor
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2006 10:16:30 PM »

Also, empty the litter box out entirely, scrub thouroughly with soap, dry, and put in fresh litter.

And there are some covered litter boxes that have these little "odor absorber" things you attach to the top -- it works really well for my house.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
weezermom
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2006 10:47:45 PM »

First of all good luck with your new cat!!! What an adventure you are about to embark on. Cats are a blast!!! I have four... Yes 4.

My family and I lead a very active lifestyle and have guests in our home almost daily and over the years I have had so many people comment of the fact that you could never tell we had cats unless they come out to say HI because they never smell them.
I have two litter boxes they get completly cleaned out twice a week. Scrubbed with soap and water completly dried and brand new litter placed inside, I then top it off with Arm and Hammer deoderizer.
When I had only two cats I did the whole clumping litter thing and scooped daily and replaced the entire box once a week.
But when we got two more I had to switch to regular clay litter because of the cost. To be totally honest I like the cheap stuff much better. With the clumping stuff every once in a while I could detect a faint odor.
I buy the cheapest stuff like a $1.97 at Wal-Mart. (no kidding) I like it so much better than the expensive stuff and so do my cats.

Once again concrats on the new addition to your family and have fun!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missystuhff
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2006 12:56:27 PM »

Edmund and I have been happily living together for about 9 months now! I have a coverd litter box and I use Arm and Hammer clumping litter.. It works great, even if I miss a day or two between scooping it out. Thanks for all of the tips! I think I am going to make him a sweater or something so I have an excuse to post a picture of him Wink.
Blessings,
Melissa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.    L.M. Alcott
MotorCityPinup

Daughter of the Reagan Revolution

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2006 07:26:53 PM »

If Remmy wasn't so friendly, no one would know we had a cat!  He gets regular baths, has a covered litter box which I clean daily and scrub out every other week.  I use "Swheat Scoop" litter.  It's made with wheat husks, of all things: it's flushable, odor-absorbent, and has less of that clay dust stuff.  I highly recommend it - you can buy it at Target & PetsMart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pretty/Modest: Serving up yummy indie fashion: modest can indeed be chic and lovely.

Liberty Images
jnaos

"Creative clutter is better than idle neatness."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2006 09:35:47 PM »

We have a covered box, I buy a new pan once a year.  I use Tidy Cat multi Cat and I like it.  I clean the box out once a day.. I have two cats and you wouldn't know they are there.

I buy a new pan because I believe that the plastic eventually absorbs the urine smell.  My covered part is actually a club house looking cover made of washable material that I bought from Collections, Etc (if you don't know what that shopping catalog is, everything  is 15 and under and they have great gifts for those on a budget).. I'm not sure if they still have them in stock but I run into someone that sells them on ebay here and there. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dustyfro
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010 09:28:40 PM »

I am dealing with this problem big time, which is why I went digging up such an old post.  I used to have just one cat, but then my roommate moved in with hers and all of a sudden when I leave the house, I can smell that gross gagging smell on my scarf and my wool coat.  I have a friend who keeps two cats and never cleans her apartment and I do not go over there anymore because it's so gross.  She carries the smell with her, in her clothes and hair, and now *I* am that person too.  I am mortified.  It gets into my knitting, even.  Besides telling my roommate to be as diligent with her cat's litter box as I am, I need a solution NOW.

I've dumped a jar of baking soda all over the carpet in my apartment and I'm leaving it until tomorrow to vacuum up.  I've got one of those Febreeze oil warmer plug in things so that at least my room smells fresh.  What else can I do?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Book reviews and blog:  http://froregon.blogspot.com
wists list: http://www.wists.com/froregon

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy. Albert Einstein
tomico
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010 12:12:40 AM »

Let it do it's business outside. You won't have a horrid smell in the house and it's environmentally friendly too.

Well, I can say that I would love to have an indoor / outdoor cat but my cat has FIV and so his immune system is compromised and I wouldn't want him to spread it to other cats. He used to be an outdoor cat before I rescued him. And now that I know how much of a risk there is I may not ever be able to have an outdoor cat.

Oh, and if you have a garden you never want a cat to releave itself in there.

As for accidents that may happen despite all planning in the world, you can use vinegar to neutralise the smell of urine. My cat is older and has issues sometimes. I have an automatic cat litter box but it seems to be more work than just having a regular litter box because the disposable boxes don't fit right and the litter keeps falling underneath. (You would think that the designers would have tested the reliability.) I used Swheat because I think it is more eco friendly by using a wheat by product that would have been wasted anyway. I probably could add baking soda but haven't yet.

Good luck.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dustyfro
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010 11:29:04 PM »

I don't know about a free soul...my cat just sleeps all the time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Book reviews and blog:  http://froregon.blogspot.com
wists list: http://www.wists.com/froregon

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy. Albert Einstein
Alexus1325
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010 03:47:16 AM »

For dustyfro, I know it's been awhile since you've posted in this topic, but I have some advice:

When my current room-mate's cat marks (cuz he's not neutered, and in Northern Ontario, it's HELLAH expensive for any sort of vet visit), I grab my dollar-store spray bottle and put into it a tiny blob of dish soap, a bit of vinegar and an equal amount of hot water, in that order. Then I go around spraying everything in the vicinity of the wretched stench. Once the vinegar smell dissipates and you stop craving french fries, the urine odor has been neutralized. I've tested this by actually leaving the house after spraying the vinegar. I come home to a cat-stink-free house.

If you find your coat, carpet, drapes, bedcovers, whatever, are smelly with ANY sort of stink, just spritz with the vinegar mix and it'll at least be diminished if not completely removed.

As for the whole prevention aspect of this topic, I totally agree that baking soda works great for urine smell. In my house, the female cat is the stinky one usually, because she doesn't like to cover her poop Tongue I've actually seen with my own eyes, the male cat will go get in the catbox JUST to cover the female's stinky poop! So having a nice deep box so you can have lots of litter with which to cover their toillette is a good idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bluelodge
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2010 05:52:02 AM »

"Nature's Miracle" is great.  You can also leave a dish of vinegar near the cat box.  It helps absorb the odors.  When I scoop out the litter box (daily) I put the "refuse" into  an empty coffee can. No odors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
noturavggeek
"This is my art, and it is dangerous! Do you think I want to die like this?" Delia Deetz

I want to live 'til I die. No More, No Less

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2010 08:15:41 AM »

For dustyfro, I know it's been awhile since you've posted in this topic, but I have some advice:

When my current room-mate's cat marks (cuz he's not neutered, and in Northern Ontario, it's HELLAH expensive for any sort of vet visit), I grab my dollar-store spray bottle and put into it a tiny blob of dish soap, a bit of vinegar and an equal amount of hot water, in that order. Then I go around spraying everything in the vicinity of the wretched stench. Once the vinegar smell dissipates and you stop craving french fries, the urine odor has been neutralized. I've tested this by actually leaving the house after spraying the vinegar. I come home to a cat-stink-free house.

If you find your coat, carpet, drapes, bedcovers, whatever, are smelly with ANY sort of stink, just spritz with the vinegar mix and it'll at least be diminished if not completely removed

As for the whole prevention aspect of this topic, I totally agree that baking soda works great for urine smell. In my house, the female cat is the stinky one usually, because she doesn't like to cover her poop Tongue I've actually seen with my own eyes, the male cat will go get in the catbox JUST to cover the female's stinky poop! So having a nice deep box so you can have lots of litter with which to cover their toillette is a good idea.

Hi Alexus,
One thing to try for cat spraying is feliway, its a synthetic pheremone that resembles the pheremones in their cheek glands. My vet swears by the stuff for all manner of things, including calming down kitties when they're in the car or going to the vet!

For the smell, we keep a glade plugin in an outlet near the litter box, and mix fresh step odor absorbing crystals in with their litter. With one cat odor wasn't so much a problem, but now we have 2 and it takes a little bit more to keep odor in control.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Daisy Chain
How to Thread a Needle by Hand
How to Make an Advent Wreath
How to Make a No-Sew Superhero Cape
How To Build a Starship Enterprise Out of a Floppy Disk
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...