A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,539
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cat Smell Prevention!  (Read 7089 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

missystuhff
« on: December 13, 2005 09:10:14 AM »

Hello Ladies! I am getting a new cat for Christmas (I saw him and we fell in love) I am really excited, but I was wondering what you all did to help quell the cat smell. I know that cleaning the litterbox daily is important, but what else works for you. Do  you recommend any specific litter or anything? This is my first inside cat since I was little, and then my mom took care of everything.. Thanks in advance!
Melissa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.    L.M. Alcott
spiderlady
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005 12:53:56 PM »

I almost never buy stuff I've seen on TV informercials, but I ordered some of that Zero Odor spray, and I have to say, it works really well.  When I clean out my litterbox (I have two kitties) I spray it liberally, and it really keeps the odor down.  My son no longer complains about litter box smell every time he comes over, and he has a super-sensitive nose.  Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am an apologist for the spiders.

Just treat me no differently than you would the Tarantula Queen.
dee521

bear paws make me happy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005 11:28:23 AM »

you can also line the bottom of the pan with baking soda before you put the litter in. we recently tried litter with larger granuales and it STINKS!! just doesn't clump much so it's all free floating. and plug in air fresheners. either way you look at it, you have an outhouse inside your home  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sammyb

Mmm... Bowie...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005 11:49:34 AM »

There's this stuff sold at PetSmart, PetCo, etc. called "Nature Magic" or something close... It's a tall white bottle, red cap.  It's a powder enzyme that will kill the cat piss smell.  (Sorry, I HAVE to use that word to describe the smell... it will never be so little as cat pee, cat urine... no way.  Always cat piss.)

It works well enough to clean our two-cat, two-litter box apartment haul (if we need to wait that long, or get lazy) once a week, and wonderfully when we do it normally twice a week.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every time Olive Oyl flails her noodle-like arms in the air and cries for Popeye's help, a feminist angel gets her wings ripped off her back.  (courtesy of mental_floss.)
nickerly_kitten

Pandora's shoe box

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005 04:20:02 PM »

cats really dont smell as much as you think they would.

either that or my house is so saturated with kitty urine that i cant smell it any more....

i reccomend a large toy box instead of a litter tray and lots of litter so they can burying it properly.

plus one litter box per cat plus one (eg three ctas, you need four boxes) to prevent the cats leaving out stinky reminders in teritory wars!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gary_The_Snail
Peter-Pan-esque

You is on dat building!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005 06:57:30 PM »

I don't actually have a cat myself but I work at a pet store so believe me, I know what I'm talking about! At Paulmac's Pet Food (I live in Canada so I'm not sure if they have these where you live) we sell a bunch of odor control products. Sammyb, I think we sell what you are talking about. We have this line of products called "Nature's Miracles" and they're a natural and safe way to get ride of odor.

Now that I've expressed my knowledgable petshop girl side, I'd like to give you a crafty idea. How about buying some pot pouri ( you wouldn't need too much) and filling some little fabric pouches with it? I've done this for my drawers and my undies smell gorgeous! If you put a pouch near the litterbox and maybe other spots around your house, it would really cover up any cat odour. As a side note, I bought a little packet of lose cat nip and made some cat nip puches for my uncle's cat Guff and he loved them! That's a little easy/cheap/crafty idea that's sure to please your new kitty! Hope some of this helped and good luck with you new cat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A sewing machine and a lab coat. The best of both worlds.
thisisserious
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005 07:17:10 AM »

I just adopted a 7 week old kitten two weeks ago. The cat that i had before him was indoor/outdoor and refused to use a litter box. He would always go outside. Anyways, I found myself wondering about good litters and what not since his litter box is in my room and I don't want my room smelling gross. I have figured out the solution.

The litter is Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Ultra Clumping Cat Litter (look here). It's unscented and clumps like a miracle. There's no caked urine on the bottom of the litter pan and the clumps are solid and stay that way. There also has been absolutely no litter tracked outside of my kitten's box, which is rare. I chose this one instead of the Classic because the Ultra is intended for multi-cat households, so the odor elimination is better.

Then, I use Arm & Hammer Cat Litter Deodorizer with Baking Soda (look here). When you clean the box, mix it into the litter. I also sprinkle it on top once or twice a day to keep things smelling fresh.

The most important thing is to clean the litter box often enough. Once a day, I scoop out the poop. It's really easy because you can just sift the poop and then flush it. Depending on how many urine clumps there are, I clean out the clumps every two to three days. Remember that my kitten is really tiny and young, though, so he doesn't pee a lot and his poos are tiny. I'm sure I'll have to clean the urine clumps daily as he gets older. Cleaning the urine is the worst part because as you're sifting the clumps and dropping them in a bag, the odors that are locked in get released. I just pour a ton of the Arm & Hammer stuff in the bag and hold my breath. Just make sure you don't flush the pee clumps! The litter is essentially tiny rocks and you'll end up with a $500 bill from the plumber to unclog your pipes. Thankfully, I never did that, but my mom learned the hard way which is how I know. Haha.

There's also the Litter Locker (look here). I'm seriously considering getting it. Our garbage man only comes once a week and leaving urine sitting in the garbage can outside makes it stink, which attracts raccoons. You just drop the clumps in the Litter Locker and turn the handle and it locks it up in a bag that doesn't have to be changed for something like two weeks.

Anyways, I just gave you a ridiculous amount of information so I hope it helped. Haha. I just know that the litter box is about 5 feet away from where my head is when I'm in bed and I don't smell a thing. I hope things are going well with the cat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Solorn

Doesn't play well with others

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005 07:25:14 AM »

I seriously don't understand people who have 'indoor' cats to be honest. They aren't meant to be confined. Your taking one of the most free souls ever created and caging it.

Let it do it's business outisde. You won't have a horrid smell in the house and it's environmentally friendly too. For a kitten use something like Oust, Neutradol or a natural spray made with a little oil, water and lavender or pine essential oil. If your kitten keeps messing in places it shouldn't, use the same spray base as above but add orange oil to it. They can't stand it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jujubee
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005 06:55:09 PM »

It depends on your outlook. I'd rather a cat be healthy, alive, and confined than eaten by a coyote, run over by a car, or diseased.

Back to the original topic -- I think Nature's Miracle works great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chelsea
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006 11:17:08 AM »

When we had one cat, it wasn't too bad, clean the litter box everyday (every other day maybe).  It was only bad when we wouldn't get all the clumps of urine since they break up a little sometimes.

But when we had two cats it was unbearable.  We would have to change the litter completely every other day to keep the smell out.   But the best thing I've found is Feline Pine.  It's amazing.  You don't smell urine at all...and when I was sick a few weeks ago, that litter box went uncleaned for four days, and you couldn't smell a thing (and I didn't have a cold, so that's not why, lol).   All you do is scoop out the poo and the urine turns the pine pellets into sawdust, it says to shake the sawdust to the bottom, but if there's a big area, I'll just scoop it out.   I'm pretty sure it's flushable too.   I absolutely love it. 

Our oldest cat has a slight problem with it though, I think he doesn't like walking on the little pellets, so he's been poo-ing on the bed.   Lol, but that's just because he's a dumb cat. 

The only smell we've had since using this is when my cats forget they're cats, and they poo and don't cover it up. 

About keeping cats indoors.  It depends on the situation.  For us, we live 50 feet from a busy road, that connects to THE busiest road in the city.  We also aren't allowed to let our pets outside (in our lease).  And even with a collar, my cats are so important to me I don't know what I would do if someone saw one of them outside and felt like keeping it.

Another example - an area more agreeable to cats being outside is my parents house.  My mom has a cat that was hit by a car when it was a kitten (because it was outside...) and has brain damage and can't move on of his paws past the elbow, he just kinda scoots it around.  He did get out one time, got in a fight with another cat, is now scared to death of the outside and has Feline Aids.

It might be a great idea for you or for where some people live, but people live in a million different kinds of places. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Simon Sinek Explains When an Idea Is Worth Turning Into a Book
John Hodgman On His Book, That Is All
Same Berkson Performs His Poem "Ode to the Bicycle"
How to Write a Summer Blockbuster
How to Write Cellphone Reviews
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...