A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,532
Currently Running With Scissors:
367 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ALL YEAR LONG CHRISTMAS CRAFTALONG 2006  (Read 20970 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tappanga
Stop hatin', start participatin'!

Twinkle twinkle, baby!

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2005 09:53:53 PM »

This had a great response last year (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=19998.0) so I've started it anew for Christmas 2006.

Here are the themes for 2006:

Jan: Ornaments
Feb: Sewn gifts
Mar: Jewelry/Book thongs
Apr: Magnets
May: Candles
Jun: Stencil/Iron-on
Jul: Craft kits
Aug: Decoupage
Sep: Scarves/hats
Oct: Soap
Nov: Gift wrap/Bows/Tags
Dec: Food gifts

This is an unswap! Keep everything you make for gifts at Christmas. Sign up at any point that you'd like (you get reminders with the craft themes and little tips if you sign up). If you don't want to do whatever craft is assigned to a month, feel free to subsititue with another craft. The main point is to keep crafting and making gifts to avoid the malls as much as possible at Christmas time.

Anyone who wants to join the Craftalong Unswap, email tap_panga-subscribe@yahoogroups.com . Thanks!
Don't just post here that you'd like to join with your email address, because I probably won't see it (sorry but it's honest).

Also, feel free to post here any questions you have about a craft, or pictures of your finished crafts so we can oooh and aaaah. Smiley
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005 02:14:06 PM by Tappanga » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.
fairyprincessbeaniebaby
"Nobody's ever asked me to a party before, as a friend! Is that why you dyed your eyebrow, for the party? Should I do mine, too?" -Luna Lovegood

thats right. l saw THE ROLLING STONES in concert!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005 11:37:03 PM »

hey i will not be legal til 11 jan, can i sign up, more to the point will sign up date end before 11 jan?  also, if i sign up for this (if i can) would i be able to participate in others  given this is a year long project?

xoxox
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'd find the prettiest boy in school, take him home and neatly f**k him "
 -David Bowie
"Whether your browning, searing, or just setting things on fire a kitchen blowtorch is fun for the whole family!"
-Tom, QEftSG
http://www.piczo.com/ireallyfancypirates

Lover of all things kitch, retro, and
Tappanga

Twinkle twinkle, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005 08:27:22 AM »

hey i will not be legal til 11 jan, can i sign up, more to the point will sign up date end before 11 jan?  also, if i sign up for this (if i can) would i be able to participate in others  given this is a year long project?

xoxox

Yes. This is a Unswap, so you can participate no matter what. And you don't get this in your profile, so you can participate in actual swaps as long as you are eligible. This is basically just motivation to craft gifts all year long instead of waiting until November or December.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

koi

crochet is my thing!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005 11:20:52 AM »

I'm joining the unswap!
Merry Xmas
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fairyprincessbeaniebaby
"Nobody's ever asked me to a party before, as a friend! Is that why you dyed your eyebrow, for the party? Should I do mine, too?" -Luna Lovegood

thats right. l saw THE ROLLING STONES in concert!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005 09:59:10 PM »

so whats an unswap? do we make the gifts and then send to a partner at the end of the year?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'd find the prettiest boy in school, take him home and neatly f**k him "
 -David Bowie
"Whether your browning, searing, or just setting things on fire a kitchen blowtorch is fun for the whole family!"
-Tom, QEftSG
http://www.piczo.com/ireallyfancypirates

Lover of all things kitch, retro, and
Tappanga

Twinkle twinkle, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005 07:45:13 AM »

so whats an unswap? do we make the gifts and then send to a partner at the end of the year?

No, you make the gifts and keep them to give out as Christmas presents. This is just to motivate you and to give you ideas from other crafters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bitibis
Bona Fide Tree Hugger

Fuzzy Bunny!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005 05:55:05 PM »

If we were signed up for the first Christmas craftalong are we automatically signed up for the second...?
I'm so easily confused.
I'm all about the craft kit and gift wrap additions though.  Spectacularness.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tappanga

Twinkle twinkle, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005 08:48:57 AM »

If we were signed up for the first Christmas craftalong are we automatically signed up for the second...?
I'm so easily confused.
I'm all about the craft kit and gift wrap additions though.  Spectacularness.

Yea if you don't unsubscribe then you're in for next year. I'm excited about those as well! I'm already going this weekend and buying paint and ornaments to get started.

Here's my tip I did last year that I'm sharing now:

Know how every office gets one of those god awful tins of popcorn from someone? When it empty, swipe the tin. Then make or buy your ornaments (I made star shaped dough ornaments), decorate and personalize with every name of every person you've given or rec'd a gift for the past three years (better to have and not need, than to need and not have). PLUS make about a dozen "blanks" in case someone pops up. Pack carefully in tissue paper from the dollar tree in your stolen tin and store with your Christmas decorations. Then they're personalized ornaments AND gift tags. I'd actually forgotten about mine until I was crazy running through the house and looking for my Christmas gift tags that I'd made all the personalized ornaments. This year I'm getting ornaments like these (http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=ch0393&channelid=) from Hobby Lobby. Several weeks ago they were on sale for 50 cents a piece, should be cheaper now (or even next weekend).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kmfishburn

Soon to be out of Nursing School Exile!!!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005 11:45:59 PM »

(I made star shaped dough ornaments),

Can you share your recipe for the dough ornaments?  I know that in preschool, we made some really cute "snoopy" ornaments using our thumb prints on dough ornaments, and I'd like to repeat that ornament with my daughter for our extended families, but I do not know what they used for the dough....  Thanks so much! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tappanga

Twinkle twinkle, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005 12:38:44 AM »

(I made star shaped dough ornaments),

Can you share your recipe for the dough ornaments?  I know that in preschool, we made some really cute "snoopy" ornaments using our thumb prints on dough ornaments, and I'd like to repeat that ornament with my daughter for our extended families, but I do not know what they used for the dough....  Thanks so much! Smiley

This is the one I used. I got two cookie sheets full from each batch.

Salt Dough Ornaments

2 C. flour
1 C. salt
1 C. water

Mix salt and flour. Add in half the water, then gradually add the remaining water. Knead until the dough is smooth, this can take up to 10 minutes.

For flat dough ornaments roll out the dough on baking paper. You can also be creative and make odd shapes and wreaths (takes longer to bake.) Use cookie cutters, cut-out templates, or just use your hands.

Dust dough with flour and begin to add details to the ornaments with a toothpick, popsicle stick, and knife.

Don't forget to use a straw to make a hole so you can hang the ornament.

Baking: Time varies based on thickness of ornament
Temperature: 325F.
Time: 1 1/2 hours - or until dry

Let cool before you begin. Paint with acrylic paints. Glue on beads, buttons, or any fun accessory. Coat with acrylic varnish when everything is dry.

I got the recipe from http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/christmasfun/kids.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dress Like a Fashion Icon This Halloween
Style Tips From Jenna Lyons
Project Runway Winner Announced
Style Sound-Off: Rihanna, Kim K, Nikki Reed
Support Breast Cancer Awareness With These Pink Shoes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...