A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,048
Currently Running With Scissors:
452 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: interface problems  (Read 1056 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stargirl

whatever it takes...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 12, 2005 07:46:31 PM »

I've been using iron on interface for my bags, but usually it will bubble or come off of the fabric.  I've tried a few different ways of ironing it on and a few different brands, but most of the time it messes up.  I'm not sure what to do about this, but I really can't stand it! Any help or suggestions would be great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ITZA
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005 08:58:38 PM »

Use sew in interfacing.

OR - if you really want to use iron on interfacing use:

*Shirt-Tailor Iron on interfacing*

You can buy both of these at any fabric store.  The shirt-tailor iron on interfacing is made specifically for shirt collars, shirt-sleeve cuffs and shirt plackets (where the buttons & button holes are).  You know how strong, stable and smooth collars, cuffs and shirt plackets are.  Shirt Tailor iron on interfacing will provide you with this smooth finish.

I personally use sew in interfacing for my purses.  IF I want a *stiffer* purse, I will interface my purse lining with the shirt-tailor iron on interfacing.

Hope this helps.
Deb
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stargirl

whatever it takes...

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005 04:24:30 AM »

thanks, ill try the shirt-tailor interface. ive tried the sew on kind, but don't really like it too much. thanks again
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tigergirl
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006 07:15:08 PM »

I usually wash any fabric before I start making something with it to make sure it has shrunk/warped first (it also seems to tighten the weave on cheaper fabrics) so I'd never had any trouble until a couple of weeks ago when I was too impatient to wash the fabric first and just started ironing the interfacing on - what a mess! Anyway, what I did (after a while, I realised things were only getting worse) was pull the fabric and interfacing apart while they were both still hot, put the fabric down, then the interfacing and iron again (usually I iron the fabric side but I wanted to see what was going on with the interfacing) - worked like a charm that time round.  It really seemed that the fabric was shrinking with the heat initially.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bubba*tink

there's nuffin loik a warm cable-knit necklace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006 07:20:15 PM »

I always iron with the fabric down on the table and the interfacing on top of it (with the sticky side down, of course) and the iron as hot as it gets.  It works great for me!  You also need alot of patience and it also helps me to push down on the iron.  I don't iron on an ironing board, but a slab of marble on my table.  A hard surface works best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can tell you, Fall is composed of

1 part dead fish smell
1 part wet leaves
1 part arctic chilled air (not winter chilled variety)
2 parts crunchy walking
a pinch very cold rain
some apples you picked yourself
a few very still moments
a good deal of inner reflection
stargirl

whatever it takes...

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006 07:33:39 PM »

I usually wash any fabric before I start making something with it to make sure it has shrunk/warped first (it also seems to tighten the weave on cheaper fabrics) so I'd never had any trouble until a couple of weeks ago when I was too impatient to wash the fabric first and just started ironing the interfacing on - what a mess! Anyway, what I did (after a while, I realised things were only getting worse) was pull the fabric and interfacing apart while they were both still hot, put the fabric down, then the interfacing and iron again (usually I iron the fabric side but I wanted to see what was going on with the interfacing) - worked like a charm that time round.  It really seemed that the fabric was shrinking with the heat initially.

recently I've really thought about prewasing fabric. i had never heard about doing that until the other day someone at the fabric store told me. I'm assuming you do it before you cut it right? does it always turn out with out bubbles then?

I always iron with the fabric down on the table and the interfacing on top of it (with the sticky side down, of course) and the iron as hot as it gets.  It works great for me!  You also need alot of patience and it also helps me to push down on the iron.  I don't iron on an ironing board, but a slab of marble on my table.  A hard surface works best.

thats exactly how i do it, but i do it on an ironing board. maybe i should find something hard to do it on. do you think a glass table would be ok?
do you preshrink your fabric?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GirlyGirlBags
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006 07:52:44 PM »

I'm so glad you posted this because I experience the same thing at times.   I have ironed both ways with fabric and interfacing on top.  I've started using off-white outdoor canvas  as interfacing and it works so much better ( a little trick i learned from an Amy Butler pattern). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tigergirl
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006 08:10:02 PM »

recently I've really thought about prewasing fabric. i had never heard about doing that until the other day someone at the fabric store told me. I'm assuming you do it before you cut it right? does it always turn out with out bubbles then?

Yep - before cutting. and yes, I've never had bubbles in it when I've prewashed it. You do need to press down pretty hard, with a very hot iron without steam.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stargirl

whatever it takes...

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006 09:25:35 PM »

Yep - before cutting. and yes, I've never had bubbles in it when I've prewashed it. You do need to press down pretty hard, with a very hot iron without steam.

thanks ill try that.
i just has some questions about the washing. do you do it in the washing machine and then put it in the dryer or can you just wet it and then hang it to dry?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tigergirl
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006 10:08:05 PM »

thanks ill try that.
i just has some questions about the washing. do you do it in the washing machine and then put it in the dryer or can you just wet it and then hang it to dry?

I just wash it the way I would normally wash that type of fabric - often with whatever clothes are hanging around in that colour scheme and need washing  (don't have a dryer, so obviously, mine gets hung out)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Using the Navigator Palette
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Scrolling the Page and Changing View Size
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Using the Zoom Tool
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Adjusting Page Size
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Fixing Dependencies Manually
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...