A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,722
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How Do You Keep Well During Cold and Flu Season?  (Read 1111 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ducktape_diva

Book'em good-lookin'

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2005 04:15:36 PM »

Of course you wash your hands constantly. Antibacterial liquid soap works best. I've heard that spraying saline solution up your nose and allowing your nose to drain is supposed to help. What are your other ways of warding off germs?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005 04:28:53 PM by ducktape_diva » THIS ROCKS   Logged
patriautism
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005 04:17:25 PM »

Tag! I've got no help, but I've been sick for two months straight, I need some tips!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jnaos

"Creative clutter is better than idle neatness."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005 04:18:30 PM »

those "cold-ease" cough-like drops work wonders.....they really do help get rid of or ward off a cold
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ducktape_diva

Book'em good-lookin'

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005 04:32:17 PM »

I'm addicted to Airbourne. It works like a charm. I take it before I leave the house everyday. I'm a greeter at church, so I'm around a lot of people (4,500 + church members). But I've managed to stay well all of this year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissMeshell
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005 04:40:17 PM »

Green tea, vitamins, exercise and lots of sleep Tongue
Also LOTS of water, especially if you feel a little off, it can sometimes 'flush out' an oncoming cold.
If I have a cold and my bf is doing something important and can't get sick he sucks a cough lollie when he's seeing me LOL Grin I don't think that will do a thing but he thinks it does, and I think I should feel insulted... Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ayn
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005 05:25:00 AM »

big 2nd here on plenty of rest, lots of water-drinking, & lots of green tea.  Or white tea.  Or African redbush tea, also called "rooibus" or "rooibos" -- which isn't Camellia sinensis, thus no caffeine, but it also has good antioxidant bennies

In addition, I really increase my consumption of vitamin C-rich fruits. I'm not a huge fan of high-dose pill-type supplements myself, but of course there are plenty of C ones out there too.

Big amen to continual, thorough handwashing too ... lol, every spring I have to give my hands a makeover, I wash them so frequently in cold-flu season.
Btw, I *don't* use anything antibacterial or germicidal or whatever, just soap or liquid -- & for me, unfragranced.

I also think it's important to *dry hands very thoroughly afterward, every time you wash* --- because of course all sorts of lil germie-kins adore damp surfaces, including skin.

I also often do that saline "nasal gargle" someone mentioned -- for me it helps all year round with sinus, postnasal drip, etc.  Just a regular throat gargle a few times a day is also said to help avoid colds/flus, even if you only use tapwater.

If at all humanly possible, I also try to avoid crowds.  Not that easy sometimes, I know...
but even just trying to shop at less-crowded times or on less-crowded days whenever possible helps lower the chance of catching a bug.
And most especially I do NOT get on a plane in cold/flu season unless it's absolutely totally 100% unavoidable.
[in retirement, at least, hub & I have found it's definitely not that hard to avoid... what's much harder is managng to avoidi folks who have just gotten off a plane -- for example, your own or someone else's visiting friends or relatives... ! ]

Also... no one mentioned flu shots...  ??
Somehow they seem to 'boost' my immune system in general. Not sure what's acually happening -- whether it's all in my head, just a placebo effect, or what, lol -- but this has been happening for a lonnnng time now ::
seems I'll always come down with 'some' sort of illness or other if I don't take it, but I never get sick if I do take it.
Regardless of the how's/why's/ wherefore's, though ... I do like my lil annual flu shot.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005 12:44:14 PM by Ayn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
theatregirl25

I'm not weird, I'm creative!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005 11:53:04 AM »

I too swear by Airborne! I take it all the time. I actually took it all last winter when I was in a play, I did not get sick once! Do not buy the generic "house" brands get the real deal. I personally thing the orange flavor is better that the lemon lime.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth."

http://crafty-theatre-girl.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/theatregirl25/
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005 12:09:48 PM »

Random Rant:  I never have (or will) understand antibacterial soap.  It's SOAP.  That's what it supposed to do.  Use hot water and wash your hand thourougly, and as far as I'm concerned, you don't need that antibacterial crap that they charge you extra for.  The AB properties only work briefly (less than a minute) and you're paying a ton extra for it. 

And don't get me started on AB kleenex!

In general, though, AMEN to washing hands!  (On the Today Show, they said you should sing "Happy BDay" twice thru to make sure you're washing them long enough.  Try it--it's a  LONG time!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
shaving kit
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005 12:12:51 PM »

I gave up all dairy products 4 years ago, and haven't been sick one day since...no colds or anything. It's awesome.

So that's my flu preventitive. Works great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laureg

*alchemist extraordinaire*

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005 12:32:16 PM »

oil of oregano- the stuff works like nothing else. it's not a substitute for eating well and getting enough sleep, but i took it all last winter and i'm pretty sure it's what helped me avoid all the colds and flus going around (especially if i wasn't eating well or getting enough sleep  Smiley  ).

it's distilled essential oil of oregano, usually diluted in an olive or hemp oil base. it's tastes terrible, but really works. it's available at health food stores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

you are not the boss of me
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Candy Box
Martha Stewart Shows How to Make a Felted Heart Scarf
Martha Stewart Shows How to Make Paper Heart Cutouts
Martha Stewart Shows How to Make Kids Valentine Cards
Martha Stewart Shows How to Make Felt Fortune Cookie
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...