A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 299,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pencils, what? I don't know.  (Read 1622 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sammiedora
« on: December 12, 2005 11:24:14 AM »

Hmm. I think this is the right place.

My 13-year-old brother likes to draw but he just uses notebook paper and regular pencils. I want to buy him some things like a sketchbook and pencils and whatnot (for Christmas), but I don't know what pencils to buy. Aren't there... different kinds and whatnot?

Any help would be appreciated. And any more ideas in that area, all I can think of is paper and pencils. Blar.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sara_uk
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005 11:30:23 AM »

What about watercolour pencils?... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elmerzglue
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005 11:32:55 AM »

any normal pencil for regular drawng is always good, just make sure that it has a GOOD eraser that doesnt smear the drawing if he needs to erase. Also getting him a white eraser and a kneaded eraser is a good idea. There are also sets of specifically drawing pencils, they include sketching pencils, outlining pencils, and dark shading pencils. Wal-mart has some good sets, along with some fairly good sketchbooks that are good for beginners.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Walking alone
At the hour when we are
Trembling with tenderness
Lips that would kiss
Form prayers to broken stone
- T.S. Elliot
Sammiedora
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005 11:34:25 AM »

What do the letters mean, like... bah, I can't remember. With the letters like H and B and... also, what are charcoal (woah, sp?) pencils? And soft, medium, hard whatevers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elmerzglue
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005 11:38:38 AM »

H stands for hard, I have to get home and tell you which ones I have.... but sets usually ome with a mix of h abd b.... I think B means blendable, because those tend to be easier to blend and shade with, but I think (i could be mistaken) that H's are good for starting off your drawings nd having bold lines and such, if you arent looking for much blending. Soft,medium, hard, are all in relation to what the lead is, the harder it is, the more difficult it is to blend with. Charcoal pencils are love, but come off easily so you should probably get fixative for it when he is done with his drawing so it doesnt come off that easy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Walking alone
At the hour when we are
Lips that would kiss
- T.S. Elliot
lady---luck

try to remember what sun feels like on your face

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005 11:40:13 AM »

try the faber-castell wood cased graphite pencils. they come in a nice portable tin (about the size of an address book) and are graded from 5h to 5b (varying soft and hard leads -- softer graphite makes a darker, richer line; harder graphite makes a softer, lighter line -- kind of counterintuitive, but whatever). i have this set and i love it. i got mine at utrecht for $9. if you don't have an utrecht art supplies shop nearby, you can go online to utrecht.com. they can be pricey at times, but they have some nice stuff. good luck! oh, and they also have good sketchbooks/pads.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I read once that the ancient Egyptians had fifty words for sand and the Eskimos had a hundred words for snow. I wish I had a thousand words for love, but all that comes to mind is the way you move against me while you sleep and there are no words for that. "
- Brian Andreas
Sammiedora
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005 11:47:44 AM »

Charcoal pencils are love, but come off easily so you should probably get fixative for it when he is done with his drawing so it doesnt come off that easy.

Fixative? What's that, hmm?

if you don't have an utrecht art supplies shop nearby, you can go online to utrecht.com. they can be pricey at times, but they have some nice stuff. good luck! oh, and they also have good sketchbooks/pads.

I'm not sure, I've not lived in this area for more than a month, but I will definitely look out for one. Okay, I looked it up. There's one in Kansas, and I'll be in that area in a week or two, so I'll see if I can work something out. Rock on. =)

Also getting him a white eraser and a kneaded eraser is a good idea.

I did buy him a kneaded eraser and I'm resisting the urge to play with it. ^_^

What exactly is that? See, I really don't have any idea what's going on. Ever!

Also, thanks guys. =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MadelBlue
Blue Sees...

Tangled up in blue...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005 12:00:56 PM »

Charcoal pencils are love, but come off easily so you should probably get fixative for it when he is done with his drawing so it doesnt come off that easy.
Fixative? What's that, hmm?

Fixitive is like hairspray or polyeurathane. It's basically just a clear spray that seals the charcoal when
 you're finished the drawing (otherwise your finished portrait will smear all over the place)

Water color pencils are really neat. They look just like regular colored pencils, you draw with them as normal but then you can go back with a wet paint brush and blend them so they become like paints.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005 12:02:32 PM by MadelBlue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

elmerzglue
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005 11:16:58 AM »

watercolor pencils are love, and are a lot quicker than regular watercolors, but they are more for adding color to your drawing than actually drawing with... at least thats my view.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Walking alone
At the hour when we are
Lips that would kiss
- T.S. Elliot
padawan
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006 06:36:39 PM »

water color pencils are great

as for what the letters and # on pencils mean...

H means hard- these pencils have a harder graphite so they produce lighter shades of grey

B means black(i think)- anyways they have softer graphite so they can produce darkers greys

an HB is just a regular school pencil, a 2B is a bit softer and works great on its own if you don't want to be constantly changing pencils
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Scrapbooking Techniques
How to Make Scrapbook Designs
How to Make Pre-made Scrapbook Pages
How to Put Together a Scrapbook
How to Put Together a Vintage Style Scrapbook
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...