A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,804
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Screen Mesh Espadrilles (img heavy)  (Read 7826 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« on: December 12, 2005 10:11:07 AM »

First off, I have to say what a delight it's been to see all of the entries.  Such variety & creativity! Now, here's mine...SHOES!!!!

I have been wanting to make rope-soled shoes for a couple of years now, so this hardware store challenge was a good opportunity to give it a try. I'm  especially happy with the way the soles turned out, after a few false starts.  Once I got the right thread, laying out and stitching up the soles was that meditative kind of fun that knitting usually is for me.  Then there were the tops  Roll Eyes  ....using Screen mesh was really interesting, but my next pair will have woven or knitted tops.

Lots of work-in-progress pics for your viewing pleasure:
The screen and rope cost about $8 US total, because I had to buy a huge package of the screen mesh.

This is actually the 2nd sole - I had the first sole T-pinned onto a bench. Once I knew where the first bends were for the toe and heel areas, I was able to remove the rope from the bench, then stitching the soles together was quite a bit easier.

Here's the first sole, pinned down, and me struggling to find a thread-like substance that would work with the rope. I first tried stripping off thinner pieces of the rope, then I tried fishing line, and at one point even dental floss.  I finally settled on some green stuff i found in my beading supplies. Having a contrasting color really helped me see what I was doing.

A finished sole!

Sides and toecap have been pinned in place and just need to be sewed on. 

I usually wear my espadrilles sock-less...these look weird (can't decide if it's in a good or bad way) because of their see-thru-ness, I think. 

Right foot 

Left foot.

Enough left over rope-wise for a few more pair... I think I will do other things with the screen mesh, though.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005 11:33:38 AM by Fun4Bambi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

JustK8
Reform this.

Herring!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005 10:37:58 AM »

Wow. That looks like it took lots of time.  Did it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005 10:47:26 AM »

very inventive! this makes it harder to decide what project to vote for!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005 11:36:47 AM »

Thanks for looking.  Sewing up the soles ws very time-consuming.  I worked on them non-stop, and from start to finish it was pretty much my whole day (with breaks to read craftster, of course). Everyone had great projects...I think we should all win a prize!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

irid3sc3nt
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I <3 Halloween

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005 07:12:04 PM »

That's a gutsy craft.  I did not even think about shoes as a possibility.  Shoes just seem like something terribly hard to make (unless they're knitted slippers), so I applaud you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Pinterest
I am interested in Halloween Rinchies!
Swaps:  OTT October10/21, Creepy Cute Stuffie10/23
kmfishburn

Soon to be out of Nursing School Exile!!!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005 08:17:39 PM »

Wow!... ummm... yeah.... WOW! That was extremely inventive!  I used to have a few pairs of rope-soled shoes and they were so comfortable.  I never would have thought about crafting the shoes though.  I'm VERY impressed!  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005 04:09:12 AM »

Thanks for checking these out. This is the first time I've made shoes completely from scratch (have ripped the straps off of countless flip flops in the past), and  it was indeed quite a challenge...I had no printed pattern or instructions from anyone else...just a pair of well-worn espadrilles in my closet to use as a model of what I wanted the finished produst to look like. Also,  since the challenge said make something "unexpected" I was definitely successful in that way. I'm looking forward to trying this again...probably will cut up an old dress for the tops this time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cookiemunstah
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005 11:43:55 AM »

WOW! I can't even believe you made actual shoes. Shoes.  Where did you ever get that idea?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005 03:52:23 AM »

WOW! I can't even believe you made actual shoes. Shoes.  Where did you ever get that idea?
I've been modifying shoes for a while and in the back of my mind was this espadrille project (not necessarily with screen mesh for tops, though), so when I was wandering through the hardware aisles for inspiration for this challenge, I found myself standing in front of rope and thinking....oh...go nna finally hafta try making espadrilles! So I was in another hardware store this week, and just had to gawk at the rope section...yes, I got some more (even thought I've got a ton left over from this project).  I can see how a rope stash could come to rival a yarn stash, lol.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005 02:21:53 PM by Fun4Bambi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw the Pirate Captain
How to Draw Alex Form Madagascar
How to Draw a Leopard
How to Draw the Tooth Fairy
How to Draw a German Shepherd
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...