A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 301,522
Currently Running With Scissors:
535 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rapunzel, rapunzel, let down your hair! (scarf)  (Read 61641 times)
Tags for this thread: rapunzel_scarf  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

llenray
« on: December 12, 2005 01:33:56 AM »

so there's this scarf on anthropogie (http://www.anthropologie.com/jump.jsp?itemID=9029&itemType=PRODUCT&iSubCat=357&iMainCat=336)
that I love. It's not knit or crocheted, which is why I'm throwing it here.. if I'm wrong, feel free to move it whereever.
is it really as simple as it looks, a ton of different strands of yarn, ribbon, etc, seperated into three chunks and braided together? somehow, I doubt mine would look that awesome. What do you guys think? I've already asked my mom to nag her friends into giving me 6 or 7 feet of yarn scraps, not sure how many I'll actually need to get it looking not skimpy. whoo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/llenray
hey, a girl can dream, right?
kmfishburn

Soon to be out of Nursing School Exile!!!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005 01:40:04 AM »

It does look like ribbon and yarn that is just braided together.... wow.... and they're selling it for $58.00??? Why wouldn't someone craft that themselves for that price? They're nuts!

Anyway, I think that it's bee-oooo-teee-full!  It would make a great last minute christmas gift! Thanks for posting the link and the idea!  Smiley

(eta:) And I'd love to do this as a craftalong.... gotta finish a few other things first, but I'll join ya in about a week or so....
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005 01:41:43 AM by kmfishburn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
chamaecyparis
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005 08:51:11 AM »

It looks like some of the strands are knitted (i-cord), or crochet chains.  It also looks like some are just a buch of strands of yarn twisted together.  I think you could get pretty much the same look without knitting or crocheting, though.  I think it will take a lot of yarn and ribbon scraps, though. I hope it comes out well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
llenray
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005 10:55:16 AM »

yeah, I think I'm just going to play around with it. the results I get will probably not be the same, but that's the fun part!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pollen
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005 03:48:36 PM »

I'll have so many yarn scraps after I finish some of my other gifts, and this looks like such an easy and pretty way to use them!  I'll definitely give it a try in a few days.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
owalkerjillo

Ve**ns rule :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005 03:50:47 PM »

oh wow. that looks so beautiful. i'm seeing ones made with color themes.. ooo yes! My mom just ordered a ton of cording to make handles for some cell phone cases.. maybe I'll steal the left overs in a few weeks. this is so awesome. please post pictures if any of you try this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005 03:56:45 PM »

I think I'm definately going scavaging through my cupboard to make this!! Such a fab idea for lonely left-over bits and bobs!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyRat
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005 07:00:40 PM »

I saw this post this morning and fell in love with the idea of the scarf. So simple but so beautiful and different. I have an obscene yarn collection so I took a strand of each and categorized it into three bundles then braided:
1) red, black, gray, white
2) anything containing green (I like collecting variegateds that have mixes of purples, pinks, aquas and greens)
3) royal blue, purple and pinks
The only yarns I took more than one strand of was a couple of variegated ones that didn't show all their colors with just one length.

Here are the results - it is slightly skinnier and longer. It wraps around my neck twice and since I only buy soft yarn it is super cozy and actually usefully warm. I loved the long fringe tails so I kept that aspect.

Pictures!!

The three strands.

Braiding (annoying because of the long tails)

Finished! It is long!

Closer up of the finished scarf

Fringe - This shows the colors and texture well.

I'm definitely thinking of making more of these. The idea of doing color themes is great. I think I just might try that. Since I told everyone they are getting a scarf for christmas (because I hate christmas shopping but love yarn shopping) this might be a good project for some of the people I have left. My best friend always wears blue so that would make a perfect scarf. I think I would also love to try knitting or crocheting skinny strands and making the braid just from that.

(BTW this is my first post but be sure that you'll hear from me again soon Wink )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ducktape_diva

Book'em good-lookin'

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005 07:11:52 PM »

I made one of these using yarn, ribbon, and lace. I'm especially happy with how it turned out! It's cream(yarn), pale yellow (yarn), teal (ribbon), white (yarn), tan (yarn), light blue (yarn), and brown (ribbon). Now, I'm wishing I had access to digital camera.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
llenray
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005 10:27:50 PM »

ahh... I LOVE it. I'm doing this immediatly when I get home. craftyrat, how long were your strands? Originally I was thinking that just randomly taking strands wouldn't look good, but yours came out great! I'm soooo excited.

ducktape_diva, I plan on using ribbon and such too, I just need to actually get it. I'm glad it came out well!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Transparency in an Image in Photoshop CS3
How to Crop an Image in Photoshop CS3
How to Delete a Color Swatch in Photoshop CS3
How to Delete a Layer in Photoshop CS3
How to Delete a Text Layer in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...