A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
562 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Paper D20 Ornament  (Read 6708 times)
Tags for this thread: dice , tutorial , d20  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

regansbox
« on: December 11, 2005 07:52:05 PM »

My gaming group just finished up the campaign we've been playing for the last three years and is about to start all over ("I have six hit points???"). Since it's that season, I decided to try my hand at some holiday ornaments for the guys with images from the modules we've played, quotes, and pictures of our characters. I like how they turned out, so I thought I'd post a tutorial for any other gaming geek Craftsters who might be in search of a quick holiday gift idea.

Materials Needed:
    • 8 1/2 by 11 photo paper
    • picture editing software
    • scissors
    • hole punch
    • X-Acto-style knife
    • straight edge
    • double-sided tape
    • some smallish ornaments you don't want

Time Required: Image Prep + 15 minutes

I started mulling over this idea after seeing Carol Duvall's Glitzy Geodesic Ornaments over at DIYNet. The Carol's Photo Ornaments section toward the bottom has you making an isocahedron by cutting out 20 triangles, which seems like overkill. Then I remembered that when I was pondering making plush d20s, I'd found Bruno Van de Casteele's Paper Dice Models page. Bingo. I took his model into Photoshop, selected 20 images and went to town, pasting them into each triangle. I particularly like his model, because you know which side of each number is up. Carol's model ends up with all the photos up, which is nice to look at, but less reminiscent of a die, which was the point for me.

Once you have your photos how you want them on the model, print it high resolution on photo paper. This gives the finished ornament a nice luster.

Next, trim around the edges.

Depending on your printer, you may need to let the paper set for a bit before taking this step. Don't start trimming before the ink is dry.

Once you've got the edges trimmed up, use your straight edge and X-Acto to score down all the black lines.

Make sure you don't cut all the way through. Depending on your photo paper, a little pressure should cut through enough to let the top layer of the paper snap without tearing through the back. You want to cut the black lines between the triangles, but don't forget that you also want the black lines separate a triangle from a flap. When you think you've got them all, run your fingers gently over the surface to make sure you haven't missed any.

Now you get to pick the top of your ornament.

For stability, I always picked one of the three areas where there are five triangles joined by a single flap (14/18/16/11/20, 7/5/4/8/2, or 4/8/9/1/10 -- see Bruno's model). You'll want to look at how your images lined up, though, and make sure you're not going to lose something important under the ornament trim when selecting an area. Punch a hole there.

This is the fun part. Gum each of the flaps using double-sided tape and start sticking it together.

You may catch a Zig 2 Way Glue pen in some of my photos. I started out using it but ended up going with the double-sided tape for sanity. The glue was making the ink run, so I went the easy way. Of course, if you want to keep this for the rest of your life, make sure you use something acid-free.

Fold and stick.

Fold and stick. Fold and stick.

As you get close to the end, you're going to need to do a little wedging.

I discovered (the hard way) that it works best if the last piece you fit in isn't one of the triangles with two flaps. They're sort of hanging out there in the wind, and it's hard to get two flaps to stick when you can't put pressure from the back side. One of the triangles which has only one flap (10, 7, or 14 -- see Bruno's model) give you the most control while making that final closure.

Now, yank the top off of one of those ornaments you don't want any more.

Pinch the wires between your thumb and forefinger and insert them into the opening you made with the holepunch. Be sure not to rest either of the wires on one of the spots where a triangle is taped to a flap or the pressure will make the ornament come apart.

That's it!

Have yourself a geeky little Christmas or the holiday of your choice. Wink
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieSkull
    Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
    « Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005 03:25:21 PM »

I freaking LOVE you!!!

I think I'm going to make a bunch of these for Charly's place. His apartment is where we all game and he has a little tree in the corner that needs decorating.

Isn't it sad when the big game ends? Ours almost did twice because of drama (two gamers dating and breaking up most horribly.)
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
    I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
    I do personal swaps!
    RandomCrafter

I like to Move It, Move It.

View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005 08:27:58 PM »

OMG My husband would pass out if I made these for our tree...he actually asked me if I could make die into ornaments
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

Linara
    My blog: http://linara.blogspot.com/

Beware - I am a rabbit in tigers clothing! ;)

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005 07:09:50 AM »

This is freaking awesome!
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Next best thing to a time machine." *** "Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call  it Le Big Mac." *** "It's a chopper, baby, hop on." *** "We should be fuckin' dead right now. Did you see that gun he fired at us? It was bigger than him."
    Heresy

Dreaming of tools.

View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005 03:17:15 PM »

That is the coolest ever! Thanks for the link to the pattern site. I am going to be making cool dice things.
    THIS ROCKS   Logged
    regansbox
    « Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005 11:02:47 AM »

Thanks so much for your supportive comments, everybody. *warm fuzzies*

PixieSkull: Yeah! I got all sniffly as we closed the campaign out and were being debriefed for the final time. *sigh* I hate it when reality gets in the way of fantasy. Wink
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

geek_patrol
    « Reply #6 on: December 17, 2005 12:33:55 AM »

That is so rad!
    THIS ROCKS   Logged
    Sweetttart3

Tea and Cake or Death

View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005 06:22:32 AM »

Three years??? My guy and his group can only last a few weeks before they all thro tepmer tantrums and have to start something new. Thanks for the great idea. Maybe I'll start early and make some for next year.
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

Damn the man, Save the Empire!

http://www.wists.com/Sweetttart3

I wanna personal swap!
    fruithead
    « Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005 09:41:39 AM »

i have no idea what you guys are talking about but that's a really cute ornament. i mean, you could put any photos on it, right?
    THIS ROCKS   Logged
    regansbox
    « Reply #9 on: December 17, 2005 12:45:35 PM »

fruithead: You bet. You may want to print a test of the model, put it together and mark which way would be up for all of your photos to end up right-way up on your final ornament if you're not aiming to make it look like a random number generator. On the other hand, it'd be fun to watch people crane their necks at your Christmas tree. Wink
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazy_bc_jen
    « Reply #10 on: December 19, 2005 12:57:03 AM »

That's amazing!  Thanks for the tutorial - I'm definately making these next year
    THIS ROCKS   Logged
    TwistedTruth
    Craft Addict

Riddle me this...

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012 08:45:20 AM »

Absolutely amazing!
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Crafty Business Blog WARNING! <Probable> Spoilers | My Pinterest
    Threads you might like:
    Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
      Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
    include swap threads
    advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
    How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 7/29
    How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 8/29
    How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 5/29
    How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 28/29
    How to Crochet Baby Booty High Tops Part 29/29
    Latest Blog Articles
    DIY Summer
    Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
    July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
    Become a
    Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
    Buy Craft Supplies
    Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
    Moderators

Follow Craftster...