A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,750
Currently Running With Scissors:
633 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gone Crazy with Felted Sweaters! (Image-heavy) - Now w/ ice scraper tutorial  (Read 13294 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crazycatladymel
« on: December 11, 2005 06:29:58 PM »

I spent the latter part of summer looking for wool sweaters at thrift stores, thanks to a post here about tote bags, and wanted to share my results so far. It's not taking the place of knitting, but it did kind of save my life when it comes to Christmas gifts!

Tote Bags

Mittens, Ice Scraper Mitts
(Ice Scraper Tutorial is now on my blog, here.)

Cat & Dog Toys, Dog Sweater

Christmas Stockings
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005 06:20:42 AM by crazycatladymel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kattghoti
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005 06:34:34 PM »

Holy cow!  You did go crazy!  My thrift stores are worthless when it comes to wool sweaters.  The ones I can find are like $13... No WAY at a thrift store!

Everything looks amazing. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

babygoinplaces

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005 06:39:14 PM »

Those are FABULOUS!  i can't decide if I like the stockings or the ice scraper mits the best.  Can you tell me how you did the ice scraper mittens?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://babygoinplaces.com
Baby Goin' Places--for the baby on the go!  Slings, pocketchangers, custom clothing, and now custom monogramming and embroidery!
http://babygoinplaces.etsy.com
crazycatladymel
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005 06:42:49 PM »

The most I paid was $6 for the grey & white diamond/check sweater. It was HUGE, and I got a big totebag and a stocking out of it, plus 3 sets of pewter clasps. It helps living in Michigan, I guess, near wealthier subdivisions (not mine). Lots of cold weather, lots of cast-offs. Still, not anything cheap like I hear of in other places, with sweaters going for $1 or anything like that.

The best part about this is how MUCH you can do with 1 sweater. I've also made fingerless mitts and a pop can holder for my dad's wheelchair out of the sleeves (no pics). The "mice" are pretty obviously just triangles, and they were all scraps just sewn up. One of the ice scraper mitts is a sleeve, and the other mitt was the mock turtleneck and neckline I cut out of a sweater (to make a bag). I used the sleeves from that sweater to make mittens, and there are still 2 pretty big rectangles left. The tiny bits of scrap went to stuff the dog bones. And so on.

kattghoti: Sorry your stores aren't helpful. Someone suggested that I look at discount stores like TJ Maxx & Marshalls, but I can't see paying full price when I'm going to destroy the sweater on purpose. Maybe after Christmas your stores will pick up? (All the Christmas gifts donated away.)

fairgreenlady: I can write up a tutorial. I took a pic in the middle of the process. I'll post it tomorrow, okay?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tofuttibreak
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005 06:43:22 PM »

I love your bags! I've been searching for a good sweater to felt, but I've had no luck. Great job on all of these. How are the felted sweaters to sew? Are they fidgety?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tejer
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005 06:44:02 PM »

You really got lucky with the sweaters you found. Especially the stockings have some beautiful patterns. You did a lovely job with all of the items. Yeah recycling!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

robosnail

80's Hairstyle Rock and Roll

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005 06:46:12 PM »

This may just be the best idea ever.  Way to go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazycatladymel
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005 06:47:11 PM »

I love your bags! I've been searching for a good sweater to felt, but I've had no luck. Great job on all of these. How are the felted sweaters to sew? Are they fidgety?

It all depends on the sweater. Some felt SO thickly that it's tough to sew, but most have been a breeze - nice firm, even fabric.

The only one that really gave me grief was one that felted unevenly. So some parts were thick and firm, and other parts were a little flimsy. That's been the trouble with the patterned sweaters. On many of them I had to cut off the sleeves (have to anyway for the bags) and refelt those.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazycatladymel
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2005 06:56:31 PM »

Oh, before I head off to bed, here are some pattern links:

Tote Bag (also in AlterKnits book)
Mittens (I need to revise my pattern a little, but this one worked pretty well for me)
Another Mitten Pattern - I didn't use this one, because I was in a hurry. Their pics look great, though.
Stockings: You can trace an old stocking. I think I got a template from Martha Stewart because I didn't know where our stockings were and wasn't about to buy one just for a pattern. The key was to cut a template out of clear vinyl so I could see where the pattern on the sweater worked the best. (Should I confess that the far left one is a Dale of Norway sweater that I got for $4? No one I know would wear it, and now it's become a stocking, and 2 ice scraper mitts, and I still have the whole back and lots of scraps left.)
Mice: Free-hand. I used the shoulder seams for tails, added a little catnip and some cut-up wool scraps and sewed around.
Dog Sweater: I used the pattern from Vogue Weekend Knitting: Felting. I just skipped their directions about knitting a big rectangle and felting it, and skipped straight to cutting the pattern out of the felted sweater.
Bones: Also free-hand. Stuffed with cut-up wool scraps.
Ice Scraper Mitt: Mostly, I let the sleeve do the talking. But I took notes and pictures and will try to have something to share tomorrow.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005 06:23:11 AM by crazycatladymel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

erincatherine
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2005 09:24:20 PM »

those ice scraper mitts are the coolest thing ever.  What a great idea! there is nothing worse than going outside to scrape the ice/snow/grosness off your car in the morning and have your whole arm/sleeve get all wet and cold. I, too, would love a tute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my etsy shop! Zeitgeist Yarns: www.zeitgeistyarns.etsy.com

and my brand new blog: www.zeitgeistyarns.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What to Wear for Super Bowl Sunday to Look Chic
Our Favorite Lauren Conrad Outfits in Honor of Her 27th Birthday
3 Chic Ways to Wear a Sweater Dress
How to Sport the Checkered Trend Like Jessica Alba and Kristen Stewart
Cate Blanchett Is a Femme Fatale in Red Sequins
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...