A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
488 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: a whole slew of knitted goodness + pictures & mitten pattern!!  (Read 3335 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern , wrist_warmer , scarf , hat , mittens  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Danyell
« on: December 11, 2005 12:02:56 PM »

Irish Hiking Wristwarmers from http://wineandneedles.blogspot.com/2004/12/wrist-warmer-pattern.html
I used cheap-o Red Heart.

I can't recall the name of this yarn, but this is a scarf for my little sister for Christmas. I'm afraid she won't like it, though...she's the biggest tomboy I know. It's just made with simple st st.

This was actually the very FIRST knitting project I ever started....but I just got around to finishing it after it had been set aside for so long. It's a scarf for myself made from Simply Soft in black. It's quite  a wide scarf, but it keeps me warm. It's just simple garter stitch all over.

I'm quite proud of this one (can you tell? haha). It was my first dpn project, and I love it! It was a hat made for my boyfriend, but it's short on his head. As you can see, it fits me just fine Smiley It's also made of cheap-o Red Heart...haha. The pattern was free http://droppedstitches.blogspot.com/2004/11/two-movie-easy-knit-hat-pattern.html  It certainly took me longer than two movies, though  Huh

These were my first pair of mittens. I made them for myself and I JUST missed the first snow. I was on the middle of my second mitten! Oh well, my hands freeze in the rush-hour traffic on my way to work, so I'm still glad I made these. It was a really really easy and quick pattern. It's on straight-needles. I have the pattern if anyone wants it. A girl on myspace sent it to me Smiley Red Heart, again. I'm cheap :-p
« Last Edit: December 11, 2005 12:30:21 PM by Danyell » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PrincessJazz
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005 12:06:12 PM »

Very nice stuff!  And there's nothing wrong with cheap yarn - it washes well and doesn't wear out.   I really like your hat.  The decreases look perfect. 
Well done on everything!

Jazz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
excessy
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005 12:12:00 PM »

The wristwarmers are really cool and the hat looks great on you Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
omyluckystars03
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005 12:21:29 PM »

I would love the mitten pattern..I too need some gloves for morning drives Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.kilobytecouture .com
Nerdy Jewelry and Accessories
Duckie

Fifty-seven academics just punched the air.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005 12:22:12 PM »

I like the hat. I always have trouble deciding on the width and coulours and repetition of stripes. It looks great. And *pssst* I went through a phase of fibre-snobbery, but sometimes it's surprising how nice acrylics are.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Danyell
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005 12:29:28 PM »

Well, someone already asked for the pattern, so here we are. This is the pattern for the mittens!
(I made the adult size in (), but I would make the child size if I could do it over...which I will :-p)

Materials required:
1 skein ( 4 oz) worsted weight yarn
Knitting Needles:
1 pair size 8
1 blunt end tapestry Needle
2 stitch holders

Gauge:
4 stiches per inch
6 rows to 1 inch

Childs size medium and Womens size Medium (womens size in parentheses)

(Make 2 of the same)

Cuffs edge:

Cast on 32 (32)
Work in K2, P2 ribbing for 14(18) Rows.
Knit 1 row (increase by 4 stitches for womans size only)
Purl row. (purl 1 row, knit 1 row, purl 1 row, womens size only)

Increase for the Thumb

Knit 15 (17) st, place marker, Increase 1 stitch in the next 2 stitches, Place marker for a total of 4 stitches between markers for both childs and womans sizes.
Knit until the end of row.
Continue in Stockinette stitch, increasing* 1 stitch in the first stitch after the first marker and 1 stitch before the second marker until there are 12 (14) stitches between the marker. Knit to the end of row

*increase occurs on the right side of knitting only*

Purl 1 row.
Knit 1 row without increasing.

Purl 16 (18) and slip onto a stitch holder.

Purl 10 (12).

Slip remaining stitches onto second stitch holder.

Working with thumb stitches only work in Stockinette stitch for 8 (10) rows.

Knit 2 together across the next row.

Break yarn and leave about a 8 inch tail, draw yarn through the remaining stitches and fasten.
Sew Seam of thumb,

The Mitten

Attach Yarn at the beginning of the second stitch holder on the wrong side and purl to the end of the row.

Knit stitches across including those from the first stitch holder for a total of 32 (36)

Continue in Stockinette stitch for 20 (24) rows or until desired length, decreasing 2 stitches on the first row in the womans size only.

Decrease to finish as follows:

Row 1 * knit 2 together , knit 2 * repeat from * across row ending on K1 on Womans size only.
Row 2 Purl
Row 3 *Knit 2 together, knit 1, repeat from * across row, ending K1 on Womans size only.
Row 4 *Purl 2 together across row. Break yarn, leaving about 15 inches for finishing. Draw yarn through remaining stitches and fasten.
Sew seam at side.

This pattern was sent to me by a girl on Myspace.com. I posted on the Stitch N Bitch group there looking for a pattern and she sent it to me Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fluffyhelen

<3 etsy&craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005 01:19:02 PM »

Great mittens!
I love mittens.   Grin

I'll add another pattern to this thread too for anybody who wants mitten patterns.. this pair took me about 4 hours to knit both mittens.  Smiley  2 needles as well, always a winner with DPN-phobics like myself.

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/kwec-2NeedleMittens.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bespectacled
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005 03:09:24 PM »

Oooh awesome job on it all!! I just had to share that I also made my first hat using that pattern and I used the exact same colors!! Hahahaha... very weird. I also had to make it twice cause my first hat came out more like a beret following the exact pattern Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. - George Bernard Shaw
luv2stitch

Sometimes it's knit and sometimes it's crochet.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2005 03:21:54 PM »

Great finished projects. I love the Irish Hiking Wristwarmers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hgflower

happiness is a bowl of noodles :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2005 05:20:42 PM »

wow, thanks so much for posting the link to your wrist warmers! i've always wanted to try something with cables and this is amazingly easy! i'm already onto my 3rd repeat Smiley i can't wait to finish this!!
btw, your stuff looks great
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my wist
favorite new song w/video! onerepublic - apologize
musicmob
have random thoughts? send them my way!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kevin Burrows and Lawrence Schlossman Discuss Their Book
Biggest Surprise You Came Across?
Modern Rites Of Passage
Modern Rites Of Passage - Coming Of Age In The Modern World
7 Things: Gina Gershon
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...