A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,392
Currently Running With Scissors:
865 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hamper Help!  (Read 1197 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fairyprincessbeaniebaby
"Nobody's ever asked me to a party before, as a friend! Is that why you dyed your eyebrow, for the party? Should I do mine, too?" -Luna Lovegood

thats right. l saw THE ROLLING STONES in concert!!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 10, 2005 11:36:06 PM »

I have to get presents for my sister (shes twelve) and my mum (shes 57ish) and I am completly broke! I found these really cute wicca baskets (there about 20-30cms in diameter) and I want to fill them with some christmas goodness! I have no idea about what would work with them i was thinking about making some aprons from a pattern I've got (a punkish black & pink 1 4 my sis) but what would be a good one for my mum? what else would work in the hampers? Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'd find the prettiest boy in school, take him home and neatly f**k him "
 -David Bowie
"Whether your browning, searing, or just setting things on fire a kitchen blowtorch is fun for the whole family!"
-Tom, QEftSG
http://www.piczo.com/ireallyfancypirates

Lover of all things kitch, retro, and
cait
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005 10:47:02 AM »

I posted this a little while ago, just fun little things to go with aprons.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=65389.0http://

you could also bake some cookies,theyre pretty cheap and easy, maybe put in some candles, cheap little bath stuff, a mix cd for your sister, earings or something for your mom, you could make them, and it wouldnt cost much, umm.....maybe, again for your mom, you could add a cute little dish towel to match the apron, if she cooks some utensils and things. Maybe a huge mug with some sort of drink mix, hot chocolate, coffee,tea etc. You can get super cheap mugs at the dollar store, and they have the really bug ones that are my personal favorites.
What kinds of things does your sister like to do? Maybe start her out on a craft if she doesnt already do one. You could give her some beads, and things to make jewlery, or a skien of yarn and a crochet hook or knitting needles. Hmm...thats about all I can think of, maybe if you post some more about what they like I can help with some more cheap and easy ideas.
Also, just check dollar stores and target's dollar section, they always have fun cheap little stuff to fill up space!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fairyprincessbeaniebaby
"Nobody's ever asked me to a party before, as a friend! Is that why you dyed your eyebrow, for the party? Should I do mine, too?" -Luna Lovegood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005 01:14:03 PM »

thanks cait! those are awsome ideas! i especially like the matching dish towel idea, that would look so great and with the utencils and pocket ideas on your other post it would perfectly complete the emsamble. Whats a good idea for a mother pattern? I was thinking I would get some band pics and iron-on them on, but in the kitchen that would be a lil dangerous-plus they would probably melt off...i could do the cheap-girls screenprinting option i guess how much do screenprinting paints cost?
my sisters really getting into crafting, but mostly beading stuff, my mums getting her alot of those diy engraving/paintby#s/knitting things and she litteraly just bought 5 1pound bags of beads! I think the apron for my sis is going to be black, with either a hot pink or white skull & crossbones, or hot pink hearts. I my friend showed me this really cool idea to make like disposable soap, by cutting out little shapes of fabric, dipping them in melted soap (plain so you can add oils to scent them) so they set in little chips of soap! i think ill do some of those to match the apron pattern. maybe also a notebook for designs? do ya think i should put some in there as well? ooh i just thought of something! i could make some scrapbooks for them! hmmm do you think its a bit ambitous to start 2 make them so close to xmas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-David Bowie
"Whether your browning, searing, or just setting things on fire a kitchen blowtorch is fun for the whole family!"
-Tom, QEftSG

cait
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005 11:00:24 PM »

I dont think its too ambitious at all, especially since you'll probably have a lot of fun making it so you'll WANT to be doing it. I think the scrapbook and notebook are really good ideas. You can even just make small scrapbooks, and leave some pages blank so they can fill them in too. With the notebook you could put in some fun knitting patterns or something like that, and then leave pages for your sister to fill in her own.It sounds like your sister is set on craft supplies (I'm super jealous!). You mentioned cheap printing, you can always just make a stencil and use acrylic paint. At least I think, there's a ton of tutorials on here if you want to double check. The soap sounds like a really good idea too. Um, i dont know if this will help, but I'm such a sucker for themed gifts. I once made a friend a gift where I took a hat box and covered it in old sheet music that was cream and black and tied a big black bow around it. Inside I put a cream scarf and glove set, cream candles wrapped with black bows, a travel photo album with the eiffel tower on it, and some little french candy, tea, and other little things. It was like old-fashioned paris or something. You could stick with the pink and black theme you have for your sis and do all the stuff like that. And come up with one for your mom, even just a color scheme works well, and ties everything together. I dont know how, but when you have a theme it kind of makes it feel like there's more stuff. Oh! you can also make lipgloss really easily and have it match the soap youre making. There's tutorials on here too for that. Maybe add a small throw pillow, just a cute little one with something printed on it. Like for your sister make it a hot pink square and have a white skull printed on the front. It could just be a small one she could throw on her bed or wherever. You could also embroider an outline of it on if you sew.Maybe make some cute boxes for her to keep beeds in, cover them in pink paper, or skull paper or something, or just draw it on pre-made boxes. For your mom you could go with the whole old-fashioned cutesy kitchen theme. I dont know if shes into that, but make the apron, and dishtowel, and then maybe make those tea-cup candles(pretty much just a candle in a tea-cup that you can find at a resale shop and glue a matching dish to the bottom). Then do the scrapbook all old-fashioned for her. You could make her a little recipe book too. I dont know....some mom's arent really into all that.
Well I hope that helps, if i think of more I'll post. And post if you come up with more too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fairyprincessbeaniebaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005 11:11:35 PM »

i love the idea of the colour matching everything... but im an asthmatic so we cant have insense or candles-my mum doesn't like them anyway... but my sis is starting year7/7thgrade next year and in aust. its a big deals, with all the changing schools and basically a sign of leaving childhood, i think. i was thinking maybe i should make a "good by, dear childhood" book, like write in & illastrate some classic childrens poems and short stories. maybe a "hello tennagerdom" one with the kind of poems she'd study at high school " (i think if your get into them before you are forced to study them, you don't despise them as much!) shes really into poetry and books, like me i was thinking maybe chaucer, blake poe and etc. whatcha think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-David Bowie
-Tom, QEftSG

cait
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005 03:20:23 PM »

thats a great idea. you could even check resale shops and stuff for old hardcover copies of poetry books or childrens stories, and change the pages out with whatever poems or stories you want. I recently found a really great copy of Longfellow's "Evangeline" that I'm going to turn into a blank book. Ive also found good hardcover copies of Poe too.  There's also some really neat, super old children's stories too that would be cool to use. Like the ones that are kind of eerie, not like over the top scary, but just cause they were written a really long time ago, so they're trying to teach kids all these weird lessons and stuff. I think it's a really awesome idea to make the books and illustrate the poems and stuff yourself. And I totally agree, when youre forced to read something you pretty much automatically don't like it. Looking back at the stuff I had to read in high school I actually would willingly read most of it now, when at the time it was just any old assignment.
you could also combine the scrapbook idea with this book idea. You could have the poems and stories kind of mixed in with the photos and things, and make it in an old book or something. My boyfriend and I have a scrapbook made out of an old harcover music book. The cover is really neat looking, and the pages are all sheet music which makes a really great background for all the photos and stuff. Ive also made one for a friend out of an old french poem book. It had a cute cover, and little illustrations of birds and stuff to go along with the poems, and just kind of added the other photos around the pictures already in it. Sorry- I'm a total sucker for old books and anything old-fashioned looking, it might not apply to you or your sisters style, especially now that I re-read your idea for her apron. Well, maybe these ideas will still help somehow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fairyprincessbeaniebaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005 09:12:51 PM »

thats a good idea to combine them, i thinkit would also personalize the poems. like i want to put in the ORIGINAL twinkle twinkle lil star which is like 10 verses and put some pics of us at night or such occasion...
i dont know if this is possible, but i want the cover to be sort of stuffed so its puffy, and i want the material to be like a white/cream microsuede. but i want to paint a pic onto it Did you ever read amiela ann or milly molly mandy books? i want a cover with pictures sort of like those ones.
I think i should do one for my mum in the same kind of genre she would love that kind of sentimentalitly i like your idea about theold-booknew-book thing but my mum owns an antique shop so she'd be like hmmm i wonder how much this woulda been worth before alla  the pages were ruined... but i would love it and so would my sister! i my mum loves new york, its her fave place (i think she went on a world trip b4 univercity) and she loves bands like rollingstones, elvis, vanMorrison,sex pistols so i wanna tie them all in (not ALL the bands, but onesthat would have played in NY) like maybe if i could find an old flyer from a band when they played NY. i cant even start it til at least sunday though cos i have aBAD  case of conjunctavitus so im not leaving the house cos my eyes are all swollen! but theres the camberwell market on sunday anyway ( its like the best flea market in melbourne- i had a stall there once & i made $200) so ill be able to get some good stuff then. there this one lady who always has lots of those girls anuallthings ( i got a my little pony one once so COOL) which i think would look good! thannks so much for all your help YOUR A LIFE SAVER!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-David Bowie
-Tom, QEftSG

cait
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2005 08:57:52 PM »

hmm....for the puffy cover you could always take some stiff cardboard and put batting on it, then wrap it in fabric, and make a coptic bound book. There's lots of tutorials on here for making a book. My suggestion though would be to go to any cheap store and look for wedding albums/scrapbooks. Theyre almost always white and puffy, and you could probably find one with just a blank cover and some sort of tacky trim that they all have for some reason that you could take off. I've seen some at dollar stores and stuff, and places like walmart for really cheap. Then you could just paint over it. I never read the books you mentioned, so I cant really help with the cover picture ideas...
Thats hilarious what you said about your mom owning an antique store. yeah-i doubt she'd appreciate an old book being torn up just cause it had a cute cover.
For the idea for your mom- you could take a scrapbook and decoupage an old flyer of one of those bands on the cover, and then fill it with photos of your mom's life. Like, start with pics of her as a teen going to concerts and stuff(if you have them). Then around those pics you could put old ticket stubs from the bands she likes. You can always do an image search and find a ton of pics of tickets, and then just get them printed on cardstock or something. Then add pictures of her as she gets older, her with you and your sis, etc. This is a totally cheesy idea, but you could edit pictures so it looks like she's in NY, by the empire state building, in times square, at those concerts etc. haha, might be a little over the top though. I would maybe find an original flyer from one of those bands, like you said, and then if she has old ticket stubs put them kind of around it and frame it. My bf's parents have something like that in their office, and it looks really good. ugh...I'm running out of ideas, sorry if those arent any good!
ps- your mom sounds really awesome! I'm jealous. Oh, and deerhoof is a good band!!

Oh! i just thought of something else- you could do NYC in a box for your mom. Put in a little hot weels taxi, other things associated with New York....sorry for some reason I just totally drew a blank on what else you could put in! and my dad lives there for gods sake! I'll keep thinking and get back to you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fairyprincessbeaniebaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005 10:21:14 PM »

i love the ny in a box, maybe i could print out some stencils of the famous "i <3 NY" thing, and stencil ti over the box maybe i could make a felt apple stuffie "The big apple". my mums so hard to shop for cos sometimes she all mumish and others shes all like "i cant believe you bought that micheal buble cd! wheres the little punk rocker i raised?!"like her fave story is one of her friends made band tshirts for a living & when sid from the sex pistols went to jail, he made t's that said FREE SID so when sid died (r.i.p.) he had like 10000 tshirts left over so he changed them all to FREEZE SID. i think i should include that in the box. she dresses all black suits and bussinesswear now, but i think she get the joke if i stenciled a tshirt like that!
your right about her not apprieciating it, my neighbours bf's job is he buys antique furniture, and sands it and "restores it" to make it look modern she almost fainted when she saw them carry in this french polished antique server table, then a week later carry of the same table repainted!
to add more to this drama my best-guy-friend has decided we will make eachother pressies this year! him being a lenient NICE guy, i do have an extra week or 2 after xmas before we do the exchange!
this whole gift-giving experience is giving me a serious case of grinch-itous...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

-David Bowie
-Tom, QEftSG

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Gingerbread Men Cookie Recipe
French Salted Caramel Macaroon Recipe
Lemon Bar Recipe
Orange Jello Slice Recipe
Homemade Waffle Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...