A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
741 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: copper plumbing curtain rods  (Read 8801 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

angelbum
Tutorial Contributor

Artisania

I wonder what I'll make today...

View Profile WWW
« on: December 10, 2005 12:42:38 AM »

Ok, so I sheepishly add my project here even though it's really not terribly creative considering the other amazing entries here. Thought I'd add it anyway as a source of inspiration maybe?

6 foot length of copper plumbing - $3.00
2 hooks - $0.50 each =                $1.00
end caps - $0.30 each=                $0.60
total:                                         $4.60

I'd been brainstorming about a nice curtain rod for my kitchen for a while and happened upon a cool looking aged, coppery one in a boutique store once and it was actually a length of copper plumbing!

I borrowed my bro's tube cutter, screwed the hooks into the wall, capped the length of plumbing and hung it up! Now I just need to make a nice curtain! And since I liked that so much I made the same rods for every window in our apt.
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/42534curtain_rod_2.jpg

note the beautiful orange glint it gives off. Fortunately I declined to polish the rods so they look nice and aged. Please excuse the leftover party decorations!
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/42534curtain_rod1.jpg

« Last Edit: July 09, 2013 01:27:08 PM by rackycoo - Reason: changed non-working images to links » THIS ROCKS   Logged

poppysmum

Mei has arrived! Pic ASAP...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005 02:36:32 AM »

I love it, I think it's genius. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
angelbum
Tutorial Contributor

Artisania

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005 10:17:35 AM »

I love it, I think it's genius. Smiley

awww, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jezebel7383
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005 10:30:55 AM »

Ooooo, I love these! I have always liked the look of copper, but never knew how to use it indoors. I may have to try this. Smiley Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

angelbum
Tutorial Contributor

Artisania

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005 10:47:10 AM »

Ooooo, I love these! I have always liked the look of copper, but never knew how to use it indoors. I may have to try this. Smiley Great job!

And they're so much more interesting than the standard black metal or something. they're so pretty and add that extra splash of color on my walls. give it a go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

irid3sc3nt
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I <3 Halloween

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005 12:06:52 PM »

That's a good idea.  I might try it out at my next place of residence... in Denver (okay, I'm excited about moving and we don't even leave until July).  Our place now is a rental and it has those icky blinds.  I like the idea of having thin curtains that let in light, but still block the attentions of your next door neighbor.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Pinterest
I am interested in Halloween Rinchies!
Swaps:  OTT October10/21, Creepy Cute Stuffie10/23
xmelinda
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005 08:08:01 AM »

Excellent idea!  I am right now trying to cover all the windows in our house.  We have one window that is over 10 feet wide, and finding a rod for it is difficult, and when you do find one it's REALLY expensive.  I'm sure the pipe is a lot stronger than the cheap rods, too, that tend to bow if you stretch them too wide.

A note about curtains that are sheer enough to let in sunlight but still hide from neighbors... I did this in our house, and I love the effect, but I'm now going to hang a second curtain to draw over the windows at night, because while in the daytime, light comes in, we can see out, no one can see in, I have found that at night, when it's dark outside and light inside, the reverse is true -- we can't see out, but anyone on the street can see in.

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
angelbum
Tutorial Contributor

Artisania

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005 06:47:08 PM »

That's a good idea.  I might try it out at my next place of residence... in Denver (okay, I'm excited about moving and we don't even leave until July).  Our place now is a rental and it has those icky blinds.  I like the idea of having thin curtains that let in light, but still block the attentions of your next door neighbor.

Oh god, I HATE blinds! LOL! I had them covering every.single.window . in here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

angelbum
Tutorial Contributor

Artisania

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005 06:52:41 PM »

Excellent idea!  I am right now trying to cover all the windows in our house.  We have one window that is over 10 feet wide, and finding a rod for it is difficult, and when you do find one it's REALLY expensive.  I'm sure the pipe is a lot stronger than the cheap rods, too, that tend to bow if you stretch them too wide.

A note about curtains that are sheer enough to let in sunlight but still hide from neighbors... I did this in our house, and I love the effect, but I'm now going to hang a second curtain to draw over the windows at night, because while in the daytime, light comes in, we can see out, no one can see in, I have found that at night, when it's dark outside and light inside, the reverse is true -- we can't see out, but anyone on the street can see in.

Melinda

Having the right length was such a problem for us. This way you can just customize it to your needs. We needed an L joint and it was so easy to deal with. Just have enough hook supports and the rod should hold up just fine. It does bow when my kids pull on the curtains...(you need to watch for those joints as they're not terribly wide) ...but barring that no bowing at all, they've worked just fine. I have some heavier cotton curtains and some gauzy cotton sheers...no problems.

HAHA! about the neighbours looking in. God I hate that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cookiemunstah
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005 11:30:53 AM »

It's shiney.  I like shiney things. I like your curtain rods.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cut Apart a Full Chicken
Chicken Meal Recipes
How to Make a Pork Roast
How to Make Stuffed Pork Chops
How to Make Pork Chops
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...