A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,898
Currently Running With Scissors:
511 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Retro Sunday Trucker Hats  (Read 9141 times)
Tags for this thread: hat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Juniper_Ann
« on: December 09, 2005 09:38:20 PM »

I wandered onto craftster last Thursday and was so excited by this challenge that I just had to join so I could participate.  A trip through the hardware store with a spiral notebook revealed that $10 does not go very far, but I found window screening for $5.  With just that, black thread, and a little help from http://vintagesewing.info/1920s/28-mhd/mhd-toc-long.html I weirded out my family for most of this week making retro sunday trucker hats!

Here's the process.  In the upper right are my materials.  In the upper left are my patterns (I drafted them from a variety of fruit bowls, dinner plates, soup bowls and cups).  I sewed the darts in the crowns and the slashes in the hats (lower left), and pinned the brims and crowns together (center), and then sewed the brims and crowns (lower right).  

Originally, I envisioned this hat as a 1940s style cartwheel/platter hat (the kind with very low crowns and wide, flat, stiff  brims).

My first brim turned out more pointy than I had planned, but that was OK.  I turned it into a "conehead" hat (I think the original term for this shape of hat is coolie hat, but I don't know what coolie means or if it's a...culturally sensitive kind of word...can anyone elighten me?).  I think it's a cute, jaunty little hat.

The picture at the middle of the bottom was intended, after a lot of smiling at the camera, to be a "neutral" face.  What I wound up with is more Absinthe Drinker.  All I need to complete the picture is a cigarette and some slow, sad jazz.  

Also, please forgive the paneling.  That's not my parent's house; it's the "college house" (just me and 4 members of my immediate and extended family...woohoo!).  Someday I'm going to paint it white to make it look less tacky.  

My dad had offered to teach me how to braise coathangers together for a frame to wire my cartwheel hat (isn't he sweet?!).   But when I put the un-wired hat on, it had kind of a floppy, 1950s sunhat vibe, and I liked that, so I left it.  My Dad offered , "Hey that's cute...from 10 feet away.  From close up, you look like a screen door."  I was thinking trucker hat, but I like the contrast between form and materials.  I had fun with that hat and couldn't resist playing dressup a little.

Well that's it.  I hope you like my retro Sunday trucker hats!

Thanks to my mom and sister for taking the pictures!

Juniper Ann

« Last Edit: April 06, 2010 06:13:56 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be the change you want to see in the world - -Gandhi
Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005 10:02:21 PM »

Wow--I'm really impressed with your ambition.  That was a big project.
And they're really neat.  The pictures are fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005 10:10:05 PM »

love your new hats! Very cool! I'm such a sucker for vintage looking hats! Great job on this challenge!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

irid3sc3nt
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I <3 Halloween

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005 10:50:26 AM »

I like it.  I think the outfit really adds to the hat.  Thanks for all the fun modeling pics, too!  And welcome to craftster!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Pinterest
Please send packages with postage stamps when you can!
I am interested in Halloween Rinchies!
fadedpink
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005 12:19:53 PM »

coolie is a term for for agricultural workers in southeast asia. they were usually very poor, and exploited by the government.

coolie hats are the stereotypical "chinese" type hats that you see in movies where they look like a cone.

on a lighter note, your hat is really cute!

(ETA: a t)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005 12:22:11 PM by fadedpink » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Juniper_Ann
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005 05:11:51 PM »

Thanks for sharing the knowledge, fadedpink!  And thanks everyone for the lovely compliments! 

When I said last Thursday, I meant December 1, not December 8, so it's not quite as impressive as it might have sounded.  The hats were fun to make, and I'm glad y'all liked them. 

Juniper
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be the change you want to see in the world - -Gandhi
poppysmum

Mei has arrived! Pic ASAP...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005 04:40:38 AM »

Oh these are great! I love the flitty flirty feel of the whole post. Very nice. Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nutella

In a free knitting pattern kind of way.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005 07:12:28 PM »

Fantastic hats! And thanks for giving me the biggest chuckle of the night with "The picture at the middle of the bottom was intended, after a lot of smiling at the camera, to be a "neutral" face.  What I wound up with is more Absinthe Drinker."  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wisty bandwagon: http://wists.com/?q=nutellanutterson

I'm walking and raising funds in support of AIDS Project Los Angeles: http://aidswalklosangeles2007.kintera.org/kejreeves
cookiemunstah
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005 11:36:17 AM »

Wow. What a great idea. I would never have thought of that. Wow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kirstenmonster
It's garden time, huh cha cha cha cha

it's understood Zeke does it for the hood

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2005 07:54:54 AM »

That is really really neat.  Who woulda thunk it?  A hat made out of window screen!  It looks really nicely made too, have you made any other hats?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photographing a Red Squirrel
Tools of the Trade
Low Light Digital Photography
Simple Supplementary Lighting
Finding and Archiving Digital Images
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...