A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,055
Currently Running With Scissors:
757 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Memory Boards: Yay for easy projects!  (Read 8768 times)
Tags for this thread: message_board  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thewalrusisme
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2003 07:09:12 PM »

I had enough red/black and black material left to make a matching lady bug pillow [thats still in the works tho]

So...im real close to finishing this pillow off just need some advice... im wondering if u think i should add eyes? if so googley or just plain buttons? i kinda like it without the eyes i think...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art is why I get up in the morning.  My definition ends there.  It doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define." ~ A.Difranco
CircusManager220
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2003 08:16:40 AM »

My cousin got one of those from her friend. I was thinking of making one with my checkered fabric. I like the matching pillow. I think you should leave it without eyes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am Washable
thewalrusisme
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2003 12:34:28 PM »

I have also made this by buying the cheap Michael's brand 18X20 canvases. Cover with  polyester quilt batting, then with the fabric. Turn it face down, and pull the fabric taut. Cause the frame is wooden, it's easy to staple gun into. I do all the fabric first, and then I staple gun on the ribbons.

thanks circusmanager.... i think it is gonna go eyeless.... and if u do make a memory board, follow joeychens advice, im sorry i doubted her before.... the second one i made, using her technique was MUCH easier and faster than the way i did it....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art is why I get up in the morning.  My definition ends there.  It doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define." ~ A.Difranco
missmichigan

long lost sister of rosie palm

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2004 07:25:24 AM »

how do you keep the ribbon taut? I was messing around last night trying to wrap ribbon around the board, while tacking it for temporary holding, and two things happened-

the ribbon sagged
and
I couldn't keep the lines straight maybe because I was wrapping the ribbon?

So, could someone possibly offer some ribbon instructions?

Also, I have done lots of fabric covered boards, never with the ribbon wrap, and I like to use scrap wood from lumber stores- they usually have scrap plywood in odd sizes for cheap. Then I cut acid free foam core to overlap just slighty and adhere it to the wood- then go about with my staple gun and the fabric. I hammer on a picture hanger and give them with a box of  marble tacks tied on.

For smaller boards, pretty paper works wonderfully too! I've been really into Hanzen paper lately- <check out www.californiapapergoods.com> in their specialty paper section...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Would you like to go to a pants party?
NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2004 08:15:31 AM »

Since you want a temporary holding of the ribbons, try a lot of straight pins or safety pins.  Normally, the pin holes in the ribbon can be messaged out.   It should keep the lines straight.   That worked for me at least.
 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thewalrusisme
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2004 11:53:26 AM »

missmichigan:  maybe im confused but are u wrapping the ribbon around the board?  b/c id figure that that would be a lot more difficult than how i went about it....
I cut the ribbon to different lengths and laid them out across the front to make sure they were somewhat parallell before stapling them into the back.  I mean, under usual circumstances u wouldnt need the ribbons on the back of the board right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missy
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2004 08:57:20 AM »

you could also use elastic in place of the ribbons to get it really taut and be able to put thicker things underneath them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missmichigan

long lost sister of rosie palm

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2004 06:00:23 AM »

missmichigan:  maybe im confused but are u wrapping the ribbon around the board?  b/c id figure that that would be a lot more difficult than how i went about it....
I cut the ribbon to different lengths and laid them out across the front to make sure they were somewhat parallell before stapling them into the back.  I mean, under usual circumstances u wouldnt need the ribbons on the back of the board right?

d'oh! yes, I tried wrapping it around, and no of course I don't need ribbon on the back Smiley
And I was leaning toward elastic for the reasons missy stated, and because it seemed easy to work with.

Thanks so much!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Would you like to go to a pants party?
joeychen
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2004 05:19:00 PM »

re getting the ribbons right, I do what walrusisme says, First I cut two ribbons for the diagonal corner to corner. I staple gun one end down, then turn the board over to the front, pull it across to the diagonal corner and centre it over the corner, then holding the ribbon to the corner, flip the board back over to staple gun it down and tight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cheers,
--jo
thewalrusisme
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2004 06:20:53 PM »

Elastics a good idea i think..
but Ms.Michigan, are u putting batting under the fabric? prob a silly question, but u hadnt mentioned that... and the batting helps to hold things in place against the ribbon...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ken Burns on Overcoming Filmmaking Obstacles
Ken Burns on “The National Parks”
Ziggy Marley - Lighthouse
New Mural In SoHo By Bradley Theodore Is A Colorful Dream
Mom Booth
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...