A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 300,947
Currently Running With Scissors:
382 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Memory Boards: Yay for easy projects!  (Read 8916 times)
Tags for this thread: message_board  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thewalrusisme
« on: November 26, 2003 12:14:36 PM »

So, I made my first successful christmas present craft  of the year and it was simple too!
http://members.aol.com/julie32902/memboardpics.jpg

I even have enough fabric left over to make a matching lady bug pillow  Grin
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010 08:06:41 PM by pixieval - Reason: removed broken pic link » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art is why I get up in the morning.  My definition ends there.  It doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define." ~ A.Difranco
anakarina
(*

dear skull , art thou shiny?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2003 02:41:27 PM »

wow where'd you find that red and black polka dot fabric? i love it. the memory board looks good, especially with only black and white photos
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop! Little knits, ACEOS, & paper goods.

WIST-list
thewalrusisme
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2003 03:14:20 PM »

Yay someone likes my board...
actually found the fabric at a local store, PA Fabrics [I live in MD].  Sometimes it counts to not buy into corporate america [aka joanne's, franks, walmart, etc.] and to go for those family owned-one-of-a-kind type of places..
the fabric is actually cooler than it looks..the black dots are furry...velvety like, it really was a great find for $5 a yard  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art is why I get up in the morning.  My definition ends there.  It doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define." ~ A.Difranco
firehead4

Wanna Make Something of It?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2003 04:13:29 PM »

Hey! She's not the only one that likes your board!  You did a great job!
I used to love making those boards and giving them for gifts---who couldn't use one!

If you want to be even more jazzy, you can put upholstery tacks (find 'em at Joann Fabrics or Hancock Fabrics) where each "X" intersects.

Also, you can make really small and fast ones by using those corkboard square tiles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Practicing Random Acts of Creativity

Follow Me at...
http://artforcoffeessake.blogspot.com/
http://youtu.be/Q73M5hiqktA
missy
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2003 05:56:06 PM »

can you post materials and instructions? that looks pretty great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thewalrusisme
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2003 06:11:38 PM »

Actually i kinda just winged it lol

ummm i bought a big block of foamy stuff at Michael's [it was in the same section as polyfill].  then I glued a piece of cardboard to the back with industrial strength glue.

Then i just wrapped the fabric around the front, stapling it into the cardboard in the back, and then added the ribbon...stapling that too...

then i took another piece of cardboard... punched holes into it with an icepick, covered it in black fabric [u can't see that from this picture], then put a piece of twine thru the two holes in the cardboard [as to be able to hang it up].  Lastly, i glued this to the other piece of cardboard.. this way i covered up all the nasty ends left from the stapling.. gave it a nice finished look i think.  

So the basic materials were:

3/4 yard of the red/black fabric
4 yards of black ribbon
15'' X 17'' x 2'' block of foamy stuff
2 - 14'' x 16'' squares of cardboard
1/2 yard black fabric
 some twine

I had enough red/black and black material left to make a matching lady bug pillow [thats still in the works tho]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

joeychen
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2003 10:53:28 PM »

I have also made this by buying the cheap Michael's brand 18X20 canvases. Cover with  polyester quilt batting, then with the fabric. Turn it face down, and pull the fabric taut. Cause the frame is wooden, it's easy to staple gun into. I do all the fabric first, and then I staple gun on the ribbons.
Also, you can sew buttons onto the ribbon intersections, going thru the layers of canvas, batting and fabric.
They are very sturdy. When I give mine as gifts, I include a hang tag for them to hammer into the wood frame.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cheers,
--jo
thewalrusisme
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2003 05:51:28 AM »

sounds great joey chen, probably a lot easier than how i went about it.... but i was trying to be thrifty about it, my chunk of foam [w/ my 40% off coupon] only cost me $2.00... and its basically the batting and canvas in one, but i bet urs do look a lot more professional.. plus keeping the hanging device separate is a smart move so that they can decide which direction they want it to hang in... unfortunately i didn't think of this before  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

firehead4

Wanna Make Something of It?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2003 06:04:45 PM »

I use my memo boards to store my decoupage clippings for inspiration...

as you can see, i have a little too much inspiration! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Practicing Random Acts of Creativity

Follow Me at...
http://artforcoffeessake.blogspot.com/
http://youtu.be/Q73M5hiqktA
VaguelyVogue
Lauri Loves You!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2003 11:21:01 AM »

ooh good last , minute christmas presents to go with my marble magnet thumb tacks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thewalrusisme
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2003 07:09:12 PM »

I had enough red/black and black material left to make a matching lady bug pillow [thats still in the works tho]

So...im real close to finishing this pillow off just need some advice... im wondering if u think i should add eyes? if so googley or just plain buttons? i kinda like it without the eyes i think...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

CircusManager220
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2003 08:16:40 AM »

My cousin got one of those from her friend. I was thinking of making one with my checkered fabric. I like the matching pillow. I think you should leave it without eyes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am Washable
thewalrusisme
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2003 12:34:28 PM »

I have also made this by buying the cheap Michael's brand 18X20 canvases. Cover with  polyester quilt batting, then with the fabric. Turn it face down, and pull the fabric taut. Cause the frame is wooden, it's easy to staple gun into. I do all the fabric first, and then I staple gun on the ribbons.

thanks circusmanager.... i think it is gonna go eyeless.... and if u do make a memory board, follow joeychens advice, im sorry i doubted her before.... the second one i made, using her technique was MUCH easier and faster than the way i did it....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missmichigan

long lost sister of rosie palm

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2004 07:25:24 AM »

how do you keep the ribbon taut? I was messing around last night trying to wrap ribbon around the board, while tacking it for temporary holding, and two things happened-

the ribbon sagged
and
I couldn't keep the lines straight maybe because I was wrapping the ribbon?

So, could someone possibly offer some ribbon instructions?

Also, I have done lots of fabric covered boards, never with the ribbon wrap, and I like to use scrap wood from lumber stores- they usually have scrap plywood in odd sizes for cheap. Then I cut acid free foam core to overlap just slighty and adhere it to the wood- then go about with my staple gun and the fabric. I hammer on a picture hanger and give them with a box of  marble tacks tied on.

For smaller boards, pretty paper works wonderfully too! I've been really into Hanzen paper lately- <check out www.californiapapergoods.com> in their specialty paper section...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Would you like to go to a pants party?
NynaeveAS

I'm pretty enough for both of us.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2004 08:15:31 AM »

Since you want a temporary holding of the ribbons, try a lot of straight pins or safety pins.  Normally, the pin holes in the ribbon can be messaged out.   It should keep the lines straight.   That worked for me at least.
 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thewalrusisme
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2004 11:53:26 AM »

missmichigan:  maybe im confused but are u wrapping the ribbon around the board?  b/c id figure that that would be a lot more difficult than how i went about it....
I cut the ribbon to different lengths and laid them out across the front to make sure they were somewhat parallell before stapling them into the back.  I mean, under usual circumstances u wouldnt need the ribbons on the back of the board right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missy
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2004 08:57:20 AM »

you could also use elastic in place of the ribbons to get it really taut and be able to put thicker things underneath them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missmichigan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2004 06:00:23 AM »

missmichigan:  maybe im confused but are u wrapping the ribbon around the board?  b/c id figure that that would be a lot more difficult than how i went about it....
I cut the ribbon to different lengths and laid them out across the front to make sure they were somewhat parallell before stapling them into the back.  I mean, under usual circumstances u wouldnt need the ribbons on the back of the board right?

d'oh! yes, I tried wrapping it around, and no of course I don't need ribbon on the back Smiley
And I was leaning toward elastic for the reasons missy stated, and because it seemed easy to work with.

Thanks so much!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

joeychen
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2004 05:19:00 PM »

re getting the ribbons right, I do what walrusisme says, First I cut two ribbons for the diagonal corner to corner. I staple gun one end down, then turn the board over to the front, pull it across to the diagonal corner and centre it over the corner, then holding the ribbon to the corner, flip the board back over to staple gun it down and tight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cheers,
--jo
thewalrusisme
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2004 06:20:53 PM »

Elastics a good idea i think..
but Ms.Michigan, are u putting batting under the fabric? prob a silly question, but u hadnt mentioned that... and the batting helps to hold things in place against the ribbon...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missmichigan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2004 04:23:27 PM »

well, no, not batting Smiley Sometimes acid free foam core or cork.

Thanks for the help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold an Origami Box with a Lid
How to Fold a Paper Football
Christmas Origami - Folding a Dove
How to Fold an Origami Turkey
How to Fold an Origami Paper Tank
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...