A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,151
Currently Running With Scissors:
620 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My dowel tree  (Read 13888 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

VaxGirl
« on: December 09, 2005 04:03:05 PM »

My husband and I have a weird holiday tradition.  Being  a terrible procrastinator, I always wait until the very last minute to decide if I want a tree or not.  This has resulted in some amazing bargains over the years.  One year we paid $5.00, the next $1.00, and last year late Christmas Eve, I forget where, but the tree guy gave us one for free.  So I figure this year, in order to beat the record, someone has to pay us to take a tree; yeah good luck with that.  Of course one year there were no trees left and we debated picking one out of a puddle on the side of the road...

So anyway....  I saw all these really stylish artificial trees, upside down trees, skinny trees, fat trees, stick trees, so I thought "Hmmm, maybe a dowel tree".  I realize this isn't really hardware, but since I bought them at the orange labyrinth store, maybe it counts, LOL.

Get some dowels and a fat one for the trunk.  It can also be covered in foil and used for your Festivus Pole!

Drill some holes in the fat dowel the same size as the skinny dowels(we used 1/4") and cut the skinny ones into branches.  Since the husband is afraid to let me near the power tools, he did this part.  I don't know why he feels that way, it's not like I ever cut through the cord on the electric hedge trimmer like someone.

Stick the dowels into the holes.  Mine fit pretty snug, no need for glue.

We still need to make the base, so for now I propped it in the corner and decorated it.  I may paint it or wrap some green fun fur around the branches, or I may leave it as it is.  Since we didn't use glue, it can be taken apart and stored easily.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewingLori
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005 04:08:56 PM »

Oh. I am so pleased to meet a fellow tree maker. Smiley My husband and I are similar to you. We never know what we want. So, for the past 3 years we've made our own. Now on year 4, we were very tempted to go to the nearby Christmas Tree Lot and buy one - not for $150 I won't!! Shocked

Anyway, one year it was bamboo, the next was chicken wire and 5 strands of purple lights, last year we had a beautiful arrangement hanging from the ceiling. This year we made a very simple grapevine topiary with 3 balls, 4 strands of lights and LOTS of gluegun and red berries. I LOVE IT.

I think year 5 calls for a bunch of dowels. I love it!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

irid3sc3nt

I <3 Halloween

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005 10:29:57 AM »

Haha!  What a great idea!  We don't even have room for a dowel tree so I ended up hanging the ornaments from the ceiling.  It's pretty fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Pinterest
I am interested in Halloween Rinchies!
princess_me

You can't make me grow up!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005 04:49:47 AM »

so cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged
selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005 05:32:30 AM »

Do you have a picture of the chicken wire tree - that sounds amazing!!
Selkie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
cookiemunstah
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005 11:30:02 AM »

LOL.  After Christmas you can use it as a clothes drying rack.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005 07:33:29 PM »

LOL.  After Christmas you can use it as a clothes drying rack.
Ha!  Nothing like a festive bra tree to add some style to January!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
noncatfiction
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005 09:45:27 AM »

My husband and I have a weird holiday tradition.  Being  a terrible procrastinator, I always wait until the very last minute to decide if I want a tree or not.  This has resulted in some amazing bargains over the years.  One year we paid $5.00, the next $1.00, and last year late Christmas Eve, I forget where, but the tree guy gave us one for free.  So I figure this year, in order to beat the record, someone has to pay us to take a tree; yeah good luck with that.  Of course one year there were no trees left and we debated picking one out of a puddle on the side of the road...

So anyway....  I saw all these really stylish artificial trees, upside down trees, skinny trees, fat trees, stick trees, so I thought "Hmmm, maybe a dowel tree".  I realize this isn't really hardware, but since I bought them at the orange labyrinth store, maybe it counts, LOL.

Get some dowels and a fat one for the trunk.  It can also be covered in foil and used for your Festivus Pole!

Drill some holes in the fat dowel the same size as the skinny dowels(we used 1/4") and cut the skinny ones into branches.  Since the husband is afraid to let me near the power tools, he did this part.  I don't know why he feels that way, it's not like I ever cut through the cord on the electric hedge trimmer like someone.

Stick the dowels into the holes.  Mine fit pretty snug, no need for glue.
We still need to make the base, so for now I propped it in the corner and decorated it.  I may paint it or wrap some green fun fur around the branches, or I may leave it as it is.  Since we didn't use glue, it can be taken apart and stored easily.

this is really great.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006 08:28:30 PM by noncatfiction » THIS ROCKS   Logged
excessy
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2005 09:56:46 AM »

I read towel towel tree and that's actually not such a bad idea Tongue love yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
notyourmomsknitting
I will only stitch if I can bitch

Eat. Breath. Knit.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006 07:28:09 AM »

I love this idea!  Much less messy than the real tree that has been dropping needles for the past two weeks.   Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookishgrrl
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2006 01:43:48 PM »

One thing I really like about this is that it shows off your ornaments nicely (they tend to get buried in "normal" trees.) I also like the clean look about it.
great job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twinks
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2006 09:17:42 PM »

Cool.  Another idea....old tomatoe cages, cover with chicken wire and attach decorations and lights.  I bought a green dollar store version and some dollar store green wire and twisted it all about making an interesting additional framework and added only lights...looked pretty cool in the window at night.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MisFit

*you're never too old to enjoy a jumping castle*

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2006 08:48:15 PM »

Hehe I love this! My parents have become very weird the last few years about trees...I think it has something to do with my sister leaving home, or perhaps a joint midlife crisis???..Anyways, they've used a hibiscus plant and a sumak tree, among others....I like this better! and it's reuseable, awesome.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photographing a Red Squirrel
Tools of the Trade
Low Light Digital Photography
Simple Supplementary Lighting
Finding and Archiving Digital Images
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...