A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,910
Currently Running With Scissors:
474 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simple Hardware Menorah. OY VEY! (Image Heavy)  (Read 18470 times)
Tags for this thread: menorah , hanukkah  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kmfishburn

Soon to be out of Nursing School Exile!!!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: December 08, 2005 03:05:09 PM »

I get my husband a new Menorah every year for Chanukkah and I knew that we didn't have the money for that this year. (They tend to get expensive...)  So, I decided that this challenge could be a good way to provide him with a new menorah.

OK. Here are the supplies that I bought at Ace Hardware.  I didn't end up using the washers (they were too wide in diameter), but I did use the following: 9 small hex nuts, 8 short lag shields, 1 long lag shield, 1 full thread bolt and 8 larger hex nuts (to fit the bolt).

I also used JB Weld (which my husband had laying around), a paper plate (to mix the JB Weld), and a cheap paint brush (to mix and apply the JB Weld using the non-brush end).

First I decided about where I wanted to place the large hex nuts.  I just eyeballed it, but if I had it to do over again, I would have (1) found a longer bolt and (2) measured and marked where I wanted to place the hex nuts.  Then I put some of the JB Weld on the thread of the bolt and screwed the bolt to where I wanted it, making sure that the flat surfaces of the nut and the top of the bolt were on the same plane.

Here is the base after I had welded it together.

I then put more JB Weld on the Lag shields.  I placed the longer lag shield in the center as the Shammash and the shorter ones on the other nuts.

(You can still sort of see the washer that I had originally put at the top of the Shammash, but I couldn't place them on all of the lag shields, so I took it off before it dried.  This is the reason that I wish I had a longer bolt.  I was going to use the washers as a wax catcher....)

Here is the finished Menorah.  Now I'm just waiting for the JB Weld to dry (8 hours) before I can move it and then a total of 24 hours before it can be used.

That's it.  My husband now unfortunately has seen it though, so the surprise is gone, but he says he really likes it.  I welcome any questions or comments....  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlwonder
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005 03:07:41 PM »

I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gracie Girlwonder

"A vagabond, when rich, is called a tourist." -unknown

"To be somebody, a woman does not have to be more like a man, but has to be more of a woman." Sally E. Shaywitz, neuroscientist
Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005 03:09:43 PM »

Neat idea, and such a "manly" Menorah.  Is it as small as it looks?  'Cause if it is, you could use those really skinny candles they put on birthday cakes for people who have, um, lots of candles on their cakes.  They're pretty long, but you could cut them shorter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
kmfishburn

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005 03:19:16 PM »

Yeah, it's pretty small.  I don't have a ruler on me at the moment, but I'd say it's probably about 8 1/2 inches long and only about 2 1/2 inches high.  And I was thinking about the birthday candles being used for the candles too, but I think I have a set of really small Chanukkah candles that might work... I dunno.

Hehehe... but yeah, I love the "manly" feel of this menorah!  All of the previous menorahs have been kinda artsy, and thus a bit more flowery.  So it'll be nice having a more masculine menorah in the collection!

By the way, I have been just amazed by everyone else's projects so far!  What a creative community we have here! Gawd, I LOVE Craftster!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
irid3sc3nt
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I <3 Halloween

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005 04:34:23 PM »

I like it!  It's funny, I was going to make a menorah for my bf out of those little copper plumbing pieces but I couldn't figure out how to make sure they stay together.  Where did your bf get that JB adhesive?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Pinterest
Please send packages with postage stamps when you can!
I am interested in Halloween Rinchies!
SuzukiBeane33
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005 05:20:43 PM »

Haha I remember making really basic versions of this in pre-school, but those were mostly just bolts glued onto a 2x4.  I love your fancier version!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am invisible, he thinks often.  And Exempt.  Immunity has been granted to me, for I do not lose my cool.  Polarity is selected at will, for I am not ionized and I possess not valence."
-Richard Farina, "Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me"

www.baltimorediy.blogspot.com
ciracira
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005 10:58:37 PM »

I love this project! How imaginative!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meowari
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005 06:40:06 AM »

You could totally sell those at a gift shop! People do pay a lot of money for menorahs, and yours is by far the coolest handmade one I've seen. They would also make great Hanukkah gifts! Hmmmm...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmfishburn

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2005 01:15:55 PM »

Irid3sc3nt: Just in case you didn't see my message before the server crash, my hubby got the JB Weld from Ace hardware.  He said that it runs about $10 or so.... So lucky for me that we already had it, right?  Wink

Anyway, thanks for the comments! I'm thinking of "improving" on it by adding maybe a larger nut on the top of what is already there so that the Chanukkah candles can fit in them.  The candles are just BARELY too wide, so maybe this way I'll be able to get a regular Chanukkah candle in it.... we'll have to see....  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fluffyhelen

<3 etsy&craftster

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2005 06:16:02 PM »

Shave the candles!   Cheesy
This is great.  Putting some bigger bolts on to with-stand the candle weights might be a good idea.  Or fashion some kind of candle holder from some other materials?

Either way, a very original idea.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Patty Brisben
Sheila Weller Reveals What Readers Think About Her
Tyler Colman Reveals His Favorite Movie
Once Upon a Day Book Trailer
Lisa Lutz Reveals Her Previous Occupations
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...