A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,856
Currently Running With Scissors:
800 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simple Hardware Menorah. OY VEY! (Image Heavy)  (Read 17154 times)
Tags for this thread: menorah , hanukkah  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2005 09:26:07 PM »

gold with reindeer comes to mind...
With reindeer?  For real?  Is that something you've actually seen?  On a menorah??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
kmfishburn

Soon to be out of Nursing School Exile!!!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2005 11:00:18 PM »

hehehehe.... yes, I too have seen the gold menorahs with reindeer.... but I've also seen a menorah with the Christian nativity figures as candle holders.... I think that someone didn't do their homework about menorahs... hehehe....

Anyway, thanks so much for all the compliments and comments.  Since this was only my second posting of something I made, I really appreciate the feedback!  Smiley

And DNBursky - I'm sure that you could do this yourself.  Honestly, it was really easy.  And the welding compound was honestly like a grey super-glue that you mix together.  You should be able to find it at any hardware supply store.  The kind that we had was called "J B Weld".  Just make sure that you have a full afternoon to put it together and have a place to put it together that you won't have to move it from for at least 8 hours.  Also, if you make one, post some pictures!  I'd love to see it!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DNBursky
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2005 08:05:50 AM »

I'm confused. Did you weld it with one of those masks and torches or was this weld stuff just glue basically?

David
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2005 09:29:23 AM »

I was curious about the stuff, too.  I Googled it and found this:
http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php
Looks like a metal epoxy that bonds much like a weld.  Does that help?
(Now I want to go get some!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
kmfishburn

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2005 02:06:29 PM »

Yeah, it's just an epoxy.  I did not WELD it, just used the J B Weld.  It is two tubes (one says "steel" and the other says "setter" or something) and you mix equal parts together of each tube.  It's about the consistency of toothpaste at that point.  I mixed it on a paper plate and used the non-bristle end of a cheap watercolor kids paint brush to mix and apply it.  Then you just put it where you want to bond the metal.  The reason that you have to let it just sit there for awhile is that you have to let the stuff dry since you're not using heat to set it, but once it's dried, it is a bond like a weld.  And it does ooze a bit, so you don't need to use too much.  If it starts to drip or you get it somewhere that you don't want, until it sets, you can still wipe it off with a wet paper towel without too much trouble.  Does that help at all? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmfishburn

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2005 10:29:12 PM »

Darn.  Forgot to add this also.  The reason that I chose to go with the J B Weld instead of trying some other sort of epoxy (besides the fact that my hubby already had it) was that it could get up to 600 degrees farenheit after it cures without having any problems.  So I don't have to worry about small explosions when I burn Chanukkah candles in the menorah.... which is always good to know...  Wink

ETA: A word of caution... The maintenance guy at the hotel that I work at said that J B Weld *CAN* be a pain in the @#% if it's not mixed properly. I didn't have any trouble and hopefully it wasn't just beginner's luck, but he said that he's had to use it before and couldn't get the correct consistency to hold the weld. So I guess the moral of the story is to really try to eyeball how much your using from each tube as well as possible.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005 04:09:15 AM by kmfishburn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitschycoup
Modest Mom

Tim Gunn is MY homeboy!

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2005 06:26:08 PM »

I have to say this is my favorite. I usually lurk - but I had to give a pat on the back for this! It is reminding me of the makeshift "tobacco pipes" people I knew in high school had.  Wink
My husband just got a new job in a plumming supply warehouse - so I am going to have to try something like this myself. THANKS for sharing and Happy Multi Cultural End of the Year Festivities!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Being cool is not a competition - It's a cause!!" ~ me

The universe is shaped exactly like the earth. If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were.
kmfishburn

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2005 01:08:02 PM »

kitschycoup - WOW! That's such a compliment that you would want to comment on my project! I'm glad you like it! If you do make one, please post it! I'd love to see a picture! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glccafar
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2005 06:06:02 PM »

Very, very cool.  Happy holidays.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
andrea63
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2006 09:49:23 PM »

That is one cool menorah! And what's especially cool is that it's functional. I once bought a really cool looking dragon menorah. It was resin, and the candles went into the scale things on its spine. Sadly, after the first night of Chanukah, I found out it couldn't be used because the resin began to melt. So kudos for a menorah that looks great and can stand up to 8 nights plus a shamesh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my Etsy store: www.notablygifted.e tsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Monday Makeover - The Bordeaux Lip
A Facial With Celebrity Aesthetician Nerida Joy
Top 5 Best Natural Skin Care Products
Three Beauty Products That Moisturize With Hyaluronic Acid
Top 3 Antioxidant-Packed Snacks for Beautiful Skin
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...