A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
783 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simple Hardware Menorah. OY VEY! (Image Heavy)  (Read 17556 times)
Tags for this thread: menorah , hanukkah  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kmfishburn

Soon to be out of Nursing School Exile!!!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: December 08, 2005 03:05:09 PM »

I get my husband a new Menorah every year for Chanukkah and I knew that we didn't have the money for that this year. (They tend to get expensive...)  So, I decided that this challenge could be a good way to provide him with a new menorah.

OK. Here are the supplies that I bought at Ace Hardware.  I didn't end up using the washers (they were too wide in diameter), but I did use the following: 9 small hex nuts, 8 short lag shields, 1 long lag shield, 1 full thread bolt and 8 larger hex nuts (to fit the bolt).

I also used JB Weld (which my husband had laying around), a paper plate (to mix the JB Weld), and a cheap paint brush (to mix and apply the JB Weld using the non-brush end).

First I decided about where I wanted to place the large hex nuts.  I just eyeballed it, but if I had it to do over again, I would have (1) found a longer bolt and (2) measured and marked where I wanted to place the hex nuts.  Then I put some of the JB Weld on the thread of the bolt and screwed the bolt to where I wanted it, making sure that the flat surfaces of the nut and the top of the bolt were on the same plane.

Here is the base after I had welded it together.

I then put more JB Weld on the Lag shields.  I placed the longer lag shield in the center as the Shammash and the shorter ones on the other nuts.

(You can still sort of see the washer that I had originally put at the top of the Shammash, but I couldn't place them on all of the lag shields, so I took it off before it dried.  This is the reason that I wish I had a longer bolt.  I was going to use the washers as a wax catcher....)

Here is the finished Menorah.  Now I'm just waiting for the JB Weld to dry (8 hours) before I can move it and then a total of 24 hours before it can be used.

That's it.  My husband now unfortunately has seen it though, so the surprise is gone, but he says he really likes it.  I welcome any questions or comments....  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlwonder
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005 03:07:41 PM »

I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gracie Girlwonder

"A vagabond, when rich, is called a tourist." -unknown

"To be somebody, a woman does not have to be more like a man, but has to be more of a woman." Sally E. Shaywitz, neuroscientist
Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005 03:09:43 PM »

Neat idea, and such a "manly" Menorah.  Is it as small as it looks?  'Cause if it is, you could use those really skinny candles they put on birthday cakes for people who have, um, lots of candles on their cakes.  They're pretty long, but you could cut them shorter.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
kmfishburn

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005 03:19:16 PM »

Yeah, it's pretty small.  I don't have a ruler on me at the moment, but I'd say it's probably about 8 1/2 inches long and only about 2 1/2 inches high.  And I was thinking about the birthday candles being used for the candles too, but I think I have a set of really small Chanukkah candles that might work... I dunno.

Hehehe... but yeah, I love the "manly" feel of this menorah!  All of the previous menorahs have been kinda artsy, and thus a bit more flowery.  So it'll be nice having a more masculine menorah in the collection!

By the way, I have been just amazed by everyone else's projects so far!  What a creative community we have here! Gawd, I LOVE Craftster!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
irid3sc3nt
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I <3 Halloween

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005 04:34:23 PM »

I like it!  It's funny, I was going to make a menorah for my bf out of those little copper plumbing pieces but I couldn't figure out how to make sure they stay together.  Where did your bf get that JB adhesive?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Pinterest
I am interested in Halloween Rinchies!
Swaps:  OTT October10/21, Creepy Cute Stuffie10/23
SuzukiBeane33
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005 05:20:43 PM »

Haha I remember making really basic versions of this in pre-school, but those were mostly just bolts glued onto a 2x4.  I love your fancier version!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am invisible, he thinks often.  And Exempt.  Immunity has been granted to me, for I do not lose my cool.  Polarity is selected at will, for I am not ionized and I possess not valence."
-Richard Farina, "Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me"

www.baltimorediy.bl ogspot.com
ciracira
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005 10:58:37 PM »

I love this project! How imaginative!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meowari
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005 06:40:06 AM »

You could totally sell those at a gift shop! People do pay a lot of money for menorahs, and yours is by far the coolest handmade one I've seen. They would also make great Hanukkah gifts! Hmmmm...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmfishburn

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2005 01:15:55 PM »

Irid3sc3nt: Just in case you didn't see my message before the server crash, my hubby got the JB Weld from Ace hardware.  He said that it runs about $10 or so.... So lucky for me that we already had it, right?  Wink

Anyway, thanks for the comments! I'm thinking of "improving" on it by adding maybe a larger nut on the top of what is already there so that the Chanukkah candles can fit in them.  The candles are just BARELY too wide, so maybe this way I'll be able to get a regular Chanukkah candle in it.... we'll have to see....  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fluffyhelen

<3 etsy&craftster

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2005 06:16:02 PM »

Shave the candles!   Cheesy
This is great.  Putting some bigger bolts on to with-stand the candle weights might be a good idea.  Or fashion some kind of candle holder from some other materials?

Either way, a very original idea.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmfishburn

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005 07:12:23 AM »

Thank you so much!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005 10:54:53 AM »

gotta chime in here and say your inventivness is incredible! Who'd a thunk it? great job on this challenge
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005 05:10:51 PM »

I like the sentimentality of it, as well as the industrial, manly feel. It's so sweet that you made that for him.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
auntiem
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2005 10:01:51 AM »

My uncle would love that one! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cookiemunstah
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2005 11:33:33 AM »

That's nice. You should post a picture of it with lit candles. I would love to see that, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmfishburn

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2005 02:45:10 PM »

Once again, thanks so much for the compliments and comments! =)

That's nice. You should post a picture of it with lit candles. I would love to see that, too.

I will.  I just have to wait for Chanukkah now though because I don't have extra candles right now. But I promise, I will! =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlackMarketBaby
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2005 03:43:26 PM »

That's just great, one of the nicest menorahs I've ever seen!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Graceful

monkey see monkey do

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2005 05:37:43 PM »

this is brilliant!

festive yet cheeky
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DNBursky
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2005 06:21:11 PM »

I don't know how to weld or have welding supplies. Can someone make one for me? I'll pay them.

David
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alistedcrime
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2005 06:29:47 PM »

HA! being a lonely jew on xmas, the title alone made me giggle, and the menorah is actually very pretty! its industrial, which is a nice take on the usual chinzy stuff... gold with reindeer comes to mind...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2005 09:26:07 PM »

gold with reindeer comes to mind...
With reindeer?  For real?  Is that something you've actually seen?  On a menorah??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kmfishburn

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2005 11:00:18 PM »

hehehehe.... yes, I too have seen the gold menorahs with reindeer.... but I've also seen a menorah with the Christian nativity figures as candle holders.... I think that someone didn't do their homework about menorahs... hehehe....

Anyway, thanks so much for all the compliments and comments.  Since this was only my second posting of something I made, I really appreciate the feedback!  Smiley

And DNBursky - I'm sure that you could do this yourself.  Honestly, it was really easy.  And the welding compound was honestly like a grey super-glue that you mix together.  You should be able to find it at any hardware supply store.  The kind that we had was called "J B Weld".  Just make sure that you have a full afternoon to put it together and have a place to put it together that you won't have to move it from for at least 8 hours.  Also, if you make one, post some pictures!  I'd love to see it!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DNBursky
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2005 08:05:50 AM »

I'm confused. Did you weld it with one of those masks and torches or was this weld stuff just glue basically?

David
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2005 09:29:23 AM »

I was curious about the stuff, too.  I Googled it and found this:
http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php
Looks like a metal epoxy that bonds much like a weld.  Does that help?
(Now I want to go get some!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kmfishburn

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2005 02:06:29 PM »

Yeah, it's just an epoxy.  I did not WELD it, just used the J B Weld.  It is two tubes (one says "steel" and the other says "setter" or something) and you mix equal parts together of each tube.  It's about the consistency of toothpaste at that point.  I mixed it on a paper plate and used the non-bristle end of a cheap watercolor kids paint brush to mix and apply it.  Then you just put it where you want to bond the metal.  The reason that you have to let it just sit there for awhile is that you have to let the stuff dry since you're not using heat to set it, but once it's dried, it is a bond like a weld.  And it does ooze a bit, so you don't need to use too much.  If it starts to drip or you get it somewhere that you don't want, until it sets, you can still wipe it off with a wet paper towel without too much trouble.  Does that help at all? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmfishburn

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2005 10:29:12 PM »

Darn.  Forgot to add this also.  The reason that I chose to go with the J B Weld instead of trying some other sort of epoxy (besides the fact that my hubby already had it) was that it could get up to 600 degrees farenheit after it cures without having any problems.  So I don't have to worry about small explosions when I burn Chanukkah candles in the menorah.... which is always good to know...  Wink

ETA: A word of caution... The maintenance guy at the hotel that I work at said that J B Weld *CAN* be a pain in the @#% if it's not mixed properly. I didn't have any trouble and hopefully it wasn't just beginner's luck, but he said that he's had to use it before and couldn't get the correct consistency to hold the weld. So I guess the moral of the story is to really try to eyeball how much your using from each tube as well as possible.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005 04:09:15 AM by kmfishburn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitschycoup
Modest Mom

Tim Gunn is MY homeboy!

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2005 06:26:08 PM »

I have to say this is my favorite. I usually lurk - but I had to give a pat on the back for this! It is reminding me of the makeshift "tobacco pipes" people I knew in high school had.  Wink
My husband just got a new job in a plumming supply warehouse - so I am going to have to try something like this myself. THANKS for sharing and Happy Multi Cultural End of the Year Festivities!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Being cool is not a competition - It's a cause!!" ~ me

The universe is shaped exactly like the earth. If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were.
kmfishburn

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2005 01:08:02 PM »

kitschycoup - WOW! That's such a compliment that you would want to comment on my project! I'm glad you like it! If you do make one, please post it! I'd love to see a picture! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glccafar
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2005 06:06:02 PM »

Very, very cool.  Happy holidays.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
andrea63
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2006 09:49:23 PM »

That is one cool menorah! And what's especially cool is that it's functional. I once bought a really cool looking dragon menorah. It was resin, and the candles went into the scale things on its spine. Sadly, after the first night of Chanukah, I found out it couldn't be used because the resin began to melt. So kudos for a menorah that looks great and can stand up to 8 nights plus a shamesh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my Etsy store: www.notablygifted.e tsy.com
ladyvincenza

artists make lousy slaves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2007 09:41:59 AM »

I love it. There is a store near where I live in Brookline, MA, Kolbo, that would totally sell this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Look at the Works and Shows of Abstract Sculptor David Altmejd
Tom Otterness on the International Art World
Tom Otterness on the Gallery System
Tom Otterness on Learning From Travel
How to Turn and Carve Wood
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...