A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
544 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Boobholder KAL, gals?  (Read 19910 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

caramelo

Knitting soothes me...

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2006 08:56:31 AM »

did anyone do the sleeves on the round?  If so did you change the needle size?  I have been trying this sweater for the longest  Cry I'm depressed....I can't seem to get the sleeves.  I did them in the round and the tension was different although I used the same size needle.  Help someone please help me

Everyone has done such a great job....oh I'm so jealous  in a good way  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katrinkles
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2006 09:04:12 AM »

did anyone do the sleeves on the round?  If so did you change the needle size?  I have been trying this sweater for the longest  Cry I'm depressed....I can't seem to get the sleeves.  I did them in the round and the tension was different although I used the same size needle.  Help someone please help me

caramelo- i did them in the round using the same needle.  the sleeves didn't fit me at first (they were too tight at the bottom) but i found that i just had to keep trying it on and modifying it until it fit right.  keep on keeping on - i'm sure you'll get it! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kerry Berry
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2006 02:24:19 PM »

I'm starting a full-length minisweater (ETA: oxymoron!) for a nearly-instant-gratification project (these top-down raglans in plain St st take me no time at all).  The thing I love about top-down raglans is that you can change the gauge--it's so easy to recalculate.  With the two OSWs I've knit, I've completely disregarded Stefanie's gauge for my own.  You just need to make sure the proportion of body stitches to sleeve stitches matches. 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006 02:27:09 PM by Kerry Berry » THIS ROCKS   Logged

caramelo

Knitting soothes me...

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2006 07:09:00 AM »

caramelo- i did them in the round using the same needle.  the sleeves didn't fit me at first (they were too tight at the bottom) but i found that i just had to keep trying it on and modifying it until it fit right.  keep on keeping on - i'm sure you'll get it! 

Thanks - One more question did you have to make any increases if so what did you do?
Thanks again  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitschy-kitchen
finishes last

knits with elves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2006 10:28:19 AM »

everyone's minisweaters look great. i just started one using some yarn i tried dyeing as an experiment.
you can see my tiny bit of progress here:
http://www.knittingschooldropout.blogspot.com
i post more pictures when it actually starts resembling something wearble.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

luckychere
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2006 04:21:12 PM »

kitschy-kitchen, I love the yarn you're using! Also, I squeeled when I saw your elves. Kitsch = love!

I didn't get gauge at all- I got 16sts over 4 inches, and it worked out fine, I cast on 40 sts instead of 50, and just made sure to make it to my measurements. Its a top down raglan basically, so if you make sure that you measure the meatiest part of your upper arm, and increase until the sleeve fits you arm, pull it off the needles, try it on... it will all work out.

Emms, I have one question about that... I'm having trouble with gauge, trying to see if I might want to do this. If you have 16 sts over 4 inches (I'm at about 17 sts using size 10 needles and WW yarn), why did you cast on less than 50? I would think you'd cast on more than 50 since you have less sts per inch than recommended...  Huh

Also, for row one, did you still: knit 9, then place the marker, k 8, place marker, knit [[whatever your middle # was instead of 16]], knit 8, pm, knt 9 ... ? Or did you need to modify the amount of sts to start off the front and sleeve parts as well as the back part? Damn, that's more than one question, sorry. lol

I really want to use this pretty violet WW yarn from KnitPicks that I happen to have, but I'm nowhere near gauge and I don't want it to end up being too open of a weave if I keep going up needle sizes.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006 04:23:11 PM by luckychere » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kerry Berry
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2006 04:27:35 PM »

Luckychere:

For your second question, check out this post I made on modifying top-down raglans (which this essentially is).  If your gauge is 17sts/4", you'll definitely want to recalculate the sleeves and fronts.  Otherwise, the proportions will be wrong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kitschy-kitchen
finishes last

knits with elves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2006 05:24:16 PM »

i'm so close to being done, it's ridiculous.  i just added a picture of the almost FO on my blog a few minutes ago. you can see it here: http://knittingschooldropout.blogspot.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2006 05:43:53 PM »

I didn't get gauge at all- I got 16sts over 4 inches, and it worked out fine, I cast on 40 sts instead of 50, and just made sure to make it to my measurements. Its a top down raglan basically, so if you make sure that you measure the meatiest part of your upper arm, and increase until the sleeve fits you arm, pull it off the needles, try it on... it will all work out.

Emms, I have one question about that... I'm having trouble with gauge, trying to see if I might want to do this. If you have 16 sts over 4 inches (I'm at about 17 sts using size 10 needles and WW yarn), why did you cast on less than 50? I would think you'd cast on more than 50 since you have less sts per inch than recommended...  Huh

Also, for row one, did you still: knit 9, then place the marker, k 8, place marker, knit [[whatever your middle # was instead of 16]], knit 8, pm, knt 9 ... ? Or did you need to modify the amount of sts to start off the front and sleeve parts as well as the back part? Damn, that's more than one question, sorry. lol

I really want to use this pretty violet WW yarn from KnitPicks that I happen to have, but I'm nowhere near gauge and I don't want it to end up being too open of a weave if I keep going up needle sizes.

She used less stitches *because* you need less of them per inch! 40 sts at 4 per inch = 10 inches. If your gauge is 5 sts per inch, you need 50sts to = 10 inches.

For placing the markers you can't use the same number that you do when you have more stitches. If you cast on 10 stitches less, make 2 sts less per section. Front, sleeve, back, sleeve, front is 5 sections time 2 sts = 10

Does that help you understand it better?

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Kerry Berry
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2006 05:53:51 PM »

Stefanie's gauge is 13sts/4" and Emms' gauge was 16sts/4".  Doesn't that mean that Emms would have needed to cast on more?  The top edge is 15.38", according to the pattern.  If Emms only cast on 40 stitches, then her top edge would be 10".  In other words, Emms actually had more stitches per inch than the recommended gauge. 

Right?  Is there something I'm missing?  My brain is fried from finals.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Key in Premiere Pro CS5
What Split Edits Are
Ken Burns on Technological Advances in Filmmaking
Ken Burns on Overcoming Filmmaking Obstacles
Ken Burns on “The National Parks”
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...