A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 304,755
Currently Running With Scissors:
755 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Zac Posen Spring 2006 Dress Questions  (Read 2324 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ever_after
« on: December 08, 2005 07:51:06 AM »

I have absolutely fallen in love with this dress, minus some of the ruffles, for prom.
http://www.style.com/slideshows/fashionshows/S2006RTW/ZPOSEN/RUNWAY/00360m.jpg
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for the sort of fabric used, or alternatives which would be suitable.  Also, does anyone have suggestions for similar patterns? I'm fairly okay with modifying, but making a pattern from scratch seems daunting. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People always say how you should be yourself, like 'yourself' is this definite thing, like a toaster or something. Like you can know what it is, even. But every so often, I'll have like, a moment, when just being myself in my life, right where I am, is like, enough."  ~ Angelena Chase
loreleiariadne
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005 09:21:17 AM »

wow!  that would be one awesome prom dress, minus a few ruffles.  Wink

I know for sure you're going to need a LOT of tulle for the poofiness at the bottom.
I'm not really sure what material to use.  I would say just go fabric shopping until you find something
that is relatively easy to work with, but has the same sheen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glitter is the herpes of crafts. once it gets on you, it never goes away!
handlethis
Monica

I got soul but I'm not a soldier

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005 04:14:20 PM »

omg I love that dress!!! Zac Posen isnt as famous as he should be! Have you checked out his accessories for 2006 .....!! I love...I have a friend who gets mega inspiration from him....

tips:[making it from scratch]
when I look at things to recreate..i try and take it apart...
if u look behind the ruffled flowers...
it kind of looks like a tubetop ATTATCHED to a detailed top..if you look at the top..it doesnt look that difficult to make..maybe get a metal ring you can get at walmart for like 29 cents....[gold rings]....

i dont know how good you are at sewing but im gonna make a little drawing so u can see what im talkin about...

here they are..if the pic comes out blurry just go to the links under the pic.

FIXED=not backwards....inside out is what i meant.
www.handle-this.com/craft/dress1.png

www.handle-this.com/craft/dress2.png

about the fabric....im not sure what the exact fabric is...maybe taffeta? when you go into a fabric store..just feel all the fabrics you like..you need something thick but not to thick....something soft but not to soft cause you dont want it to be flimsy...

btw:the middle section attatches under the top after you make it...so it really starts under your boobs..
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005 04:18:15 PM by handlethis » THIS ROCKS   Logged

educo
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005 05:32:04 PM »

Looks like taffeta.  check out this pattern from vogue
http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/voguepatterns/shop.cgi?s.item.V8074=x&TI=20003&page=2
THIS ROCKS   Logged
educo
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005 05:36:26 PM »

You can combine the top portion of the former dress with this skirt.  make sure you get matching sizes and with small alterations, could work.  In order to increase the bottom, make the bottom portion wider (it's probabcly shaped like a circle) and add or make a fluffy petticoat out of tulle or something in order to create all that volume.

http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/voguepatterns/shop.cgi?s.item.V7698=x&TI=20003&page=7
THIS ROCKS   Logged
creativehomemaker
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005 05:38:05 PM »

It seems very basic if you look past the ruffles.  It looks like a strapless top with a ring in the center.  I'd probably put some elastic on the top to hold it in place.  Then make a skirt that starts at the ribs and goes to just above the knee, it will flare out towards the bottom.  Connect the top and the skirt with a strip of fabric going sideways.  Finally at the bottom of the skirt make a circle skirt for the flare and add lots of netting to give it the puffy look.  I've done my best to draw out the shapes.  As for material try something that gives you a lot of wrinkles it will give you the look and add bulk.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Baby Shower Candy Tin
How to Make a Baby Shower Flower Seed Packet
How to Make a Baby Shower Animal Picture Frame
How to Reuse Your Old Road Maps as Placemats
How to Create Gorgeous Silhouette Plates from Old Plates
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...