A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,693
Currently Running With Scissors:
442 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Substitute stich markers help  (Read 5861 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dancingbarefoot
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2006 07:21:47 PM »

For something like that blanket, I would just as soon not use stitch markers at all. I would prefer to just pay a LOT of attention to the knitting for the first few rows and count carefully, but then after I have a bit of fabric hanging off of the needles, I'd just keep half an eye out for what went on in previous rows.

I hardly use them, either, but they're great for keeping track of lace repeats and marking sections for easier seaming later on (marking where the arms should attach, for example).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1. All fungi are edible.
2. Some fungi are not edible more than once.
~~Terry Pratchett~~

my blog | index of free machine knitting patterns
LizzieKnit
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2006 05:15:03 AM »

I have found that bobby pins work great, and I always seem to have a stash in the bathroom since my hair is short. You just slip them onto the stitch instead of the needle - so no sticking where they don't belong under the yarn and you can move them or take them out as you wish.
Good luck, loooks like a great project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Quincy134
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2006 06:27:29 AM »

I have store bought ones, which I like, but I also use whatever is lying around.  I agree that yarn tied into loops works fine.  I've also used twist ties. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

athena404
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2006 07:09:46 AM »

I've used cut up straw pieces before in a pinch, with slits cut in them so you can slip them on and off the needles quickly
THIS ROCKS   Logged
clockworkclover
But, why is the rum gone?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2006 07:15:13 AM »

I've made 20 so far. I took a bead and an I-pin and wrapped it  around a pen. They work very well and are really pretty. Before that I was using pieces of string and it was ugly and I couldn't stand it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life has taught us that love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
rachelo
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2006 08:13:19 AM »

Is there any reason I can't use safety pins as place markers?  Is there a difference between the safety pin and a cute place marker?
 Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fozziebear54
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2006 08:24:48 AM »

I figure that as long as it isn't going to destroy your knitting, you can use it as marker. I've been known to use scraps of yarn, hair ties, paper clips, and I think even parts of a sewing machine (little plastic circle things) as stitch markers. The only difference between a safety pin and a cute stitch marker is, well, the cute one is cute and a safety pin isn't.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rachelo
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2006 09:47:59 AM »

Good!  That's what I was thinking, but I'm new to knitting and didn't know if I was missing something obvious!  Thanks for the reassurance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2006 10:40:29 AM »

Since I usually use larger needles, paper clips and safetly pins are too small. But twisty ties for plastic bags work great!

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
go get your smock
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2006 05:15:22 PM »

And I've used paperclips.  Luckily I had colored ones on hand, which were a little better than the plain ones.  You can also slide the wire onto finished work to mark rows as needed (like where you stopped increasing on your shrug . . .)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane in Chicago
www.feltedhandbagworkshop.com
Home of the Little Coco Bag
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Will Bunch Reveals His Biggest Pet Peeve
Simon Montefiore Talks About Sashenka
Susan RoAne Talks About Face to Face
Arianna Huffington Talks About Huffington Post Complete Guide to Blogging
Allegra Huston Talks About Love Child
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...