A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A different skull illusion scarf (with chart)  (Read 4403 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SisterMercy

55% water. 45% candy and cheap wine.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 07, 2005 04:39:31 PM »

This was my first finished (well, er, almost.  It still doesn't have the fringe) project when I picked up knitting a few years back.  I took the Stitch 'N Bitch book with me to Australia while visiting one of my mother's friends (we were taking care of her after she broke her foot, so I knew there would be lots of down time), and while I thought the illusion scarf idea was neat, I'm not into aliens.  So, I made this instead.  It should have been on smaller needles really, because the yarn was more sport weight than worsted, but at the time I didn't know enough about yarn to know that.

Also, my pictures kind of suck.  Someday, after I fringe it (stop snickering!  I will someday!  Probably!), I'll take better pictures.  There is one skull on either end, the center is just stripes.

avast ye scurvy dog!

And a view of the back, so you can see that he has teeth, which I should have omitted because they are too subtle to show:

And, er, it also needs to be blocked, as you might be able to tell.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005 08:10:46 PM by SisterMercy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I myself am... strange and unusual.
pickledkitty
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005 04:59:58 PM »

Wow! I really like that! I'm just a beginner, but I think it looks cool!
My sister would love it if I had enough time to do all of that length!
How did you change the pattern to a skull? And I like the teeth,
even though they were probably a pain to do.
How long did it take to knit up?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SisterMercy

55% water. 45% candy and cheap wine.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005 05:46:13 PM »

I've always been a slow knitter, and I was even moreso then- plus I could only spend a bit here and there on it.  It maybe took me about a week?  As I said, I ddin't end up working on it very often- it should take about as long as a regular scarf, the pattern is pretty simple really.

I looked at the theory behind the idea of illusion knitting ("high" parts of the pattern and "low" parts, created by stockinette and gerter stitch, make one colour or the other pop.  So the background is black garter, white stockinette, and the skull parts that pop up are white garter and black stockinette), and drafted up one of my own in Photoshop.  It is a little more complex than it really should be- a bit of the detail gets lost, but at least enough comes through to get the general idea.

The (somewhat difficult to understand) chart:

Boxes without dashes are knit stitches, boxes with dashes are purl stitches- to get the skull on the other end flipped the other direction, flip each pair of boxes in stripe.  The first line of every stripe is always a knit row, the second row is the one that changes between knit and purl to raise and lower the stitches.  From the bottom, it's a row of knit in white, a row of purl in white (to make stockinette); two rows knit in black (to make garter); a row of purl in white; two rows knit in black;  a row of knit in white, 6 purl stitches, 2 knit stitches, 44 purl stitches, 2 knit stitches, 6 purl stitches; a row knit in black, 5 knit stitches, 4 purl stitches, 42 knit stitches, 4 purl stitches, 5 knit stitches; etc.  (This is, of course, assuming you knit it flat.  The second row would be flipped if knit in the round.)  The long section in between skulls, which can be as long as you like, is stockinette white and garter black- just repeating those first/last four lines of the chart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I myself am... strange and unusual.
meco

Agent Provocateur

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005 12:58:07 AM »

excellent. I love it and thanks for the chart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nitecat
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007 04:48:52 PM »

Thanks for this pattern. I'm looking for anything that will be appropriate for me to make and sell at a "punk" type, piercing shop and store. If you come up with any other patterns like that, please put them on!!!??
Pam
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HellOfMyOwn
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007 11:24:25 PM »

Thanks for this pattern. I'm looking for anything that will be appropriate for me to make and sell at a "punk" type, piercing shop and store. If you come up with any other patterns like that, please put them on!!!??
Pam

Not to be rude Nitecat but it's always good for legal purposes to ask the author of knit patters if they allow you reselling items made fromt thier patterns..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007 06:47:32 PM »

Awesome!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Highlight & Contour Your Neck To Appear Younger
Our Favorite Summer Powders
Dr. Ruthie Harper Talks About SKINSHIFT, A Personalized Skin Care Routine
How to Get a Kylie Jenner Inspired Look
At Home Beauty Treatment Machine Recommendations
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...