A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
817 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: she's "at that age" but i still have to get her something.  (Read 750 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

miss brianne

I'm addicted to Craft

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2005 04:29:14 PM »

so my little sister has been nothing but impossible to deal with because she has entered teenagerdom and all she likes to do is drink and swear and hate herself. (I am not too worried- i was there and I turned out great).

But here is the thing SHE IS IMPOSSIBLE.
 I thought about maybe getting her nice booze and a shaker and some mixers but that idea didn't fly with my mom. proving that I really have no idea what I am doing.

About her:
She is 15 years you
She rides horses but those gifts have kind of gotten old
She just learned to drive but also just totaled my parents new truck (is it too soon to make jokes about it?)
She likes to think she is really alternative.

About me (gift giving wise)
I dont really want o give her gift certificates unless I can come up with something great to give with it.

Here is my only idea so far-
I ordered a book about cult movies (for me) bu i could maybe give it to her with a gift certificate to the rental place? or the misic/dvd store?

I have also checked the 'in a box' thread and still cant seem to come up with anything.
this is getting horrible.!
christmas is so soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss-Stitchdependent
Crafty is as Crafty Does

I dig skinny pale guys, no seriously I do

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005 04:34:35 PM »

Hey,
I'm an older sister too. I would think about music if I were you. It was the most important thing in my life then. Maybe show tickets? you guys could go as a girls night out. Try to get back into that cool big sis role. maybe like her favorite band, do a concert in a box type thing, a poster she doesn't have, with like a band tshirt or some accessory along with the ticket. You could do the box all decked out in pics of the band. who does she like? You could try to find a band she likes that you can stand if your not into that type of music.
hope it helps
Miss. Stitch
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EowynUlysses
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005 04:46:27 PM »

Another oldest sis here. I'm going along with Miss-stitch to suggest something with her favorite band. Stencil a shirt and make a mix of bands that sound like them, maybe. If she is driving perhaps a gas gift card. Wow, I am horrible at this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swaps are fun!

Fun websites to give for free: thehungersite.com, freerice.com, care2.com

Wanted: Sock yarn scraps for a shawl.
girlofdashboard
kung foo kick to the FACE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005 04:57:04 PM »

im a little sister...
those ideas are GREAT Grin

one time my older brother bought me a dvd of one of my favorite bands and when i opened it there were two tickets to see my FAVORITE band in it...

i was beside myself i was so happy! he did it for no reason so it was a shock... my brother can be pretty cool like that though...

i think if shes really into music or even just one band... you should really consider taking her to see them live... i dont know how close you two are, but if you dont want to see her favorite band, maybe you could see a band that you both like, then that band could be like your sisterly bonding band haha

my sister wanted to take me to see kid rock one... she was trying to find something for us to do... i said no thanks... the moral of that story is... make sure its a band she likes if you decided to go the ticket route!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAURA!!!
miss brianne

I'm addicted to Craft

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005 10:34:38 AM »

the only problem is that we dont live in the same city anymore!.
so I know that now it is more important than ever to actually spend time with her.
little sisters are frustrating!.
I will look into when any bands she likes are coming to town and see if I can make it.
From that idea I also thought this: I used to be really really into the local punkrock scene in my hometown. My little sister still hasn't been to a show so maybe an offer to be the designated driver+punk rock show tour guide and take her and say 2 friends out to a show.?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss-Stitchdependent
Crafty is as Crafty Does

I dig skinny pale guys, no seriously I do

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005 02:37:15 PM »

If she's never seen a true show that might be great. I used to love going to local shows. What's the age difference, because the only problem I can think of is that going to shows was like my liberation she may feel like you don't want her out alone or you don't trust her on her own. If shes kinda difficult that may put a damper on things. Not that she should do anything you wouldn't approve of. because we all know that at 15 we were perfect angels. Roll Eyes
Hope it helps
Miss-Stitch

R.I.P. John Lennon
THIS ROCKS   Logged

girlofdashboard
kung foo kick to the FACE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005 03:11:25 PM »

my brother took me to my first real show... it was a really cool thing... i think your local scene is a great idea... but taking friends may not be a good idea... only because she may try to act cool in front of them and be more of a pain then anything else...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAURA!!!
keston
knit, spin, or die!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005 04:16:44 PM »

hmmm.....i have a little sister who is in that teenage funk too, and definately not easy to shop for.  i ended up knitting her a shrug this year for christmas.  i was flipping through patterns, and she happened across one and started raving about it.  so shes getting it Smiley  do you know what her clothing style is like?  if you knit, a cool trendy knit item usually works.  funky knit stuff is pretty in i think......or i could be totally wrong  Grin  music is a safe bet too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Fabric Painting Stencils
How to Paint Designs On A Piggy Bank
How to Create a Painted Mug
How to Use Fabric Glitter Liner Pens
How to Use Fabric Paints
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...