A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,742
Currently Running With Scissors:
516 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lazy Daisy w/lazy tutorial  (Read 10693 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

begin again

my original tape measure purse, still going strong

View Profile WWW
« on: May 28, 2004 02:44:56 PM »

First can I say, thank YOU to all the peeps out there who post tutorials, as having to organize myself, has brought new levels of appreciation for all the past masters, and highlights my slack nature, hence a tutorial for veryeasy-peasy fabric flowers. I love the felt flowers but didn't have any felt on hand. I 'conceptualized' this on a whim when I quickly needed something to tie together a skirt and top combo I was a bit unsure of.  I received some complements, made some more, and voila, the birth of the lazy girls flower corsage. Please let me know if you have any questions, tho why I've taken so bloody long to post, in one I can't reasonably answer!

Here's a quick-like tutorial, not that any of you all will require, and it shall unveil how very rudimentary my skills are!
Firstly grab yourself a strip or two of fabric, anything will do, and a heavy-dutier type needle strung with a matching thread :

(You might want to sew close to any fraying ends to prevent total string meltdown, but this is the lazy girl way, so it's up to how ambitious you're feelin')

I'm an old hand at these, so I gasp! used two pieces of fabric. Start by pinching the strip in one hand while pleating the fabric toward the stabalizing hand:

Continue to make pleats (and I'm talking really loose, bunched up pleats- just sort of wadding it together works too- it's all about the end product in my case):

Then when your fingers are full of pleats, take that threaded needle and work it through all the layers.  Don't worry if you don't catch each every pleat as you can always patch it up later:

Basically you just keep repeating the steps above, fold, pleat, sew through the layers, coming out through the back and through the front- don't worry about keeping the threads neat- you'll be covering all that mess later, my friend. Here's a side view of my layers. Work in a circular, flower-like fashion, it should vaguely start to resemble a corsage of some sort.

I decided to add another strip of red to my flower, to fill it out a bit, just start folding it into place right where you left off, attaching it with your thread.  When you get the circumference you desire, thread from the backside to the frontside several times, catching all those loose pleats and stabalizing your flowe. I decided to carefully snip a few slits in my petals to make them more petal-liker:

Now comes the fun part- creating your stamen. I'm the proud parent of a badg machine so I let those little doo-dahs work their magic here, often using a flower print, just to ensure passerbyers realise what I'm wearing. Anything can work- buttons, more fabric, badges, what have you:

I would never want to be judged by what the backside ends up looking like but nothing a little patch of fabric or proper bit of foam and penback can't   hide (tho if you're truly lazy, like me, this would never happen and you'd already have a safetypin through that sucker and on your top by now): :

Flower power, wear with petal pride!:

« Last Edit: July 12, 2011 09:30:29 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
amelia bedelia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004 06:13:13 PM »

those are cute! they'd look cool on a purse or a skirt possibly
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Damn it feels good to be a gangster
girlieface
toot if you like candy...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004 07:09:10 PM »

very cute!  i use a similarly lazy-girl-style method myself, though I've just been cutting up strups of fabrics and sewing them all together in the center, if that makes sense.  i'll hafta try it your way...lazy girls unite!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Girlieface
your one-stop shop spot for all things DIY and full of girlie goodness
kayray
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2004 07:24:14 PM »

Cute cute cute!  And your tute cracked me up :)  A little A-line skirt with a row of your daisies around the hem would be dreamy!

Kara
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://kayray.org/

Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how.
begin again

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2004 02:22:09 AM »

thank you all for the comments! made all that photo resizing worthwhile.

amelia and kara I do have them on a couple of bags/purses and they do totally redeem themselves.  I'd have to come up with smaller versions to put on a skirt as I think these would be a bit heavy, and pull at the hem. Maybe something like these little guys on the left might work better- they're just circles of fabric sewn through the middle with the top piece glued on. They're attached to hairbands at the moment:

very cute!  i use a similarly lazy-girl-style method myself, though I've just been cutting up strups of fabrics and sewing them all together in the center, if that makes sense.  i'll hafta try it your way...lazy girls unite!

lazy, but inspired. I'd like to think we're so busy with our creative ventures that we have to learn to imaginitively cut corners, no?  Wink I think I can envision your flowers, girlieface, but feel free to post a photo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Crafty Jule
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2004 05:08:03 AM »

Thoase are really cute! A freind of mine is in the process of making tops & dressesmade of thrifted sheets for our girls. (little do they know how many cute little matching outfits they are going to have this summer!!)    Wink
I'll have to grap some left over strips of shetting to make these for there hairbands.    Ones made of sheets would prob br really cute on teh hem of a demin skirt for ME!!!   =)

Thanks for the cute tute!
Jule
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlieface
toot if you like candy...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2004 06:05:19 AM »

lazy, but inspired. I'd like to think we're so busy with our creative ventures that we have to learn to imaginitively cut corners, no?  Wink I think I can envision your flowers, girlieface, but feel free to post a photo!

oh, certainly inspired Smiley  i never meant to suggest that you were actually lazy or anything - though i certainly am!  but yes, there's a great amount of creativity in learning to cut corners; that's how half of the greatest inventions and such were probably made Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Girlieface
your one-stop shop spot for all things DIY and full of girlie goodness
begin again

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2004 08:28:10 AM »

oh, certainly inspired Smiley  i never meant to suggest that you were actually lazy or anything - though i certainly am!  but yes, there's a great amount of creativity in learning to cut corners; that's how half of the greatest inventions and such were probably made Smiley 

Oh, no, you definitely had me pegged. I am actually lazy, it's true. I'm afraid my tongue-n-cheek doesn't come across as well in text. Thanks for the feedback.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mari_confused
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2004 08:40:40 AM »

I want to make one of those. Like someone else mentioned, it's probably really cool on a purse!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
intastellaburst
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2004 03:40:49 AM »

i love these! after seeing you make some at the stitch n' bitch, i had a go myself:

(it's hannah, by the way Smiley )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Mandarin Orange Salad
Cheese Platters and Pairings
How to Make Corn Fritters
How to Make Creole Brown Roux Part 5/5
How to Make Creole Brown Roux Part 3/5
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...