A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,051
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help/Advice on everything needed!  (Read 779 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Katie Mutated
« on: December 07, 2005 12:30:08 PM »

Ok heres the deal I'm getting married on June 21st of next year, what have i got planned? nothing.
My boyfriend is from the Forth Worth area (Texas for non-americans) and me I'm from Dublin, ire. We've decided to get married next year because neither of us can afford to fly back and forth anymore (both of us are still living at home and not from wealthy backgrounds).
The wedding will be in Texas, were gonna hit up our favourite Veggie restaurant and around 12 people will be there thats all i know so far.
Id like to consider myself creative, the same goes for my fiancee, but I've drawn a blank as for wedding idea's go. I guess the problem is I've too many ideas and it's all abit overwhelming.
I'm not into the whole traditional white dress christian wedding, never have been, so my main objective is to make this event FUN!

We are both a part of the D.I.Y punk scene (note the D.I.Y not MTV "punk") so being conventional is not something were interested in being. I even thought of having a Pirate wedding then it warped into a zombie wedding....so you see where I'm going with this Smiley

I know I'm ranting now but what I'm asking is any tips or idea's would be appreciated.
Go raibh mle maith agat!

Katie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"But time's a-wasting and evil's out there making hand-crafted mischief for the swap meet of villainy" - The Tick
stringy
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005 12:37:08 AM »

Congratulations! You must be very happy!

Obviously, Craftster is a great place to get ideas for stuff, but it sounds like http:www.indiebride.com might be a good place for you as well. There's heaps of gals there who are having either extremely non-traditional weddings, or simply don't buy into the whole "But it's your special daaaaayyyy!" mindset. I'm over there, too!

One thing that really helped me was to throw out any of those lists that give you a timeline of what to do then. They're crammed full of $tuff to buy, rather than stuff to make or stuff to think about.

What I've done instead is to start with a list of essentials:
What do I need to legally get married? (Partner, officiant, legal documents).
Who *must* be there? (Parents, small circle of bestest friends).
What can I do to celebrate the ceremony? (Champagne, a cake, and my sweetie!)
How can I keep my memories of this fresh? (Rings, some photos)

I'm sorting out those items first, then giving any time and money left over to the rest of it:
how can I make the ceremony personal? (Vows, decorations)
Who would I *like* to be there, if it can be arranged? (Expanded guest list)
How can I make the celebration part groovy and fun? (Good food, good drinks, good music, fun decorations).

I just figure that this way, I won't be disappointed by not having the essentials right, and anything else is an enjoyable bonus rather than a huge effort.

Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Katie Mutated
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005 04:10:32 PM »

thank you so much Stringy.
The help was really appreciated (and needed Grin) Ive copied down what you said and now I have some plans forming together.

Once again thank you.

Katie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"But time's a-wasting and evil's out there making hand-crafted mischief for the swap meet of villainy" - The Tick
stringy
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005 01:14:11 AM »

Happy to help - I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of your zombie-themed wedding, too! Sounds rockin' to me Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Vixen

Missing Blondie Bear

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005 08:03:01 PM »

thank you so much Stringy.
The help was really appreciated (and needed Grin) Ive copied down what you said and now I have some plans forming together.

Once again thank you.

Katie

Katie, there are also a number of web-based bridal chat forums you might want to check out. My favorite one is the link my my signature. There are brides, brides-to-be, and even a couple grooms that can help you out with virtually any project you have in mind.

BTW, I'm hoping to marry my fiance shortly, as soon as we can get his visa sorted out. He's across the channel from you in Swansea Wales.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dee521

bear paws make me happy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005 01:09:31 PM »

hi! i got married earlier this year and had been engaged about 18 months or so....i also had about a bizillion ideas at first, 99.9% percent of which i later realized were dorky  Wink the things i first really thought about were starts of a guest list (and compiling addresses, which took ridiculously long) and the budget. there's various calculators out there that can give you an idea of costs for various thigns, but we ended up being close to my adjustments based on the things that were really important to us (my dress, the location) vs. things we didn't care about (cake, video). once i had a general idea of the guest count and the budget plus the general feel i wanted for the day we went thru all those ideas for personalizing it, making it unique, filling in the details, etc. one big piece of advice i will give you, though, don't spend money once you get an idea or your budget will be gone fast. give yourself time to really think about it or envision it or just let it lie before you sign contracts or buy lots of materials. so anyway i guess my advice would be to think about what you want the day to be like and what's important to you, then start building things to that end so you're not just throwing in everything but the kitchen sink. good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tips for Preventing Pudding from Forming a Skin
Should Cookie Dough Be Chilled Before Baking?
What Happens if You Decrease the Sugar Called for in Baked Goods?
What is Almond Bark?
Easter Brownie Nests
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...