A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 301,974
Currently Running With Scissors:
629 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pants, Pleats, & Tulle questions!! (my first post!)  (Read 852 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Maliaka
« on: December 06, 2005 11:28:26 PM »

Hello you crafty people  Cheesy

I have a few questions that came to me all at once, so I'm gonna ask them all at once!

I'm a novice sewer but have had success with making some simple items. I'm always looking for new craft ideas, but especially over the past few weeks I have been making this lovely forum my new home. I have never used a pattern for anything, for I like the idea of trying to improvise and do my own thing. It's really hard for me to wrap my brain around how to construct certain things sometimes, so forgive me if I sound like a nerd.

Here are some things I've been wondering about...

1.) I bought a pair of PJ pants today that say "Happy Holidays" all over them and I'd love to be able to make my own cute pants using fabric that is equally fun (i.e. stuff you can't find in a store), but I have NO clue how to make pants! How can I possibly use the pants I just bought to construct a new pair? Is there a somewhat easy way to go about this? The idea of messing with the middle part (meaning the crotch area and the ass area) scares me.

2.) Is there an easy way to make a mini skirt with pleats? I love the popular style that most minis have these days of the thick strip of fabric covering the waist and top of the hips and then underneath the seam is the pleated or ruffly part. Any way I can make one simply?

3.) How the hell do you sew on tulle? I love that fabric so very much but have no idea how to sew on it! I'd ideally add tulle underneath every skirt known to man if I could, hehe. Oh, and is there is a trick to getting it really ruffly, or do you simply have to layer it a billion times for that effect?

Thank you so much for your help in advance!!

P.S. This is my first post and I am extremely excited to have found this forum. I've been looking for a place with pictures of "real people's" clothes for a LONG time! Smiley
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005 02:20:04 PM by Maliaka » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ Winter Lights Clothing ~
http://www.winterlights.etsy.com
TAddictedAngelT
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006 11:50:45 PM »

I have no idea about the last two, but apparently sewing pants is the easiest thing according to my grandmother. We sewed a pair in like half an hour and she said thats what all sewers first learn since its so easy. It honestly was, surprisingly. Haha. Sorry, I can't help you but I just wanted to tell you that PJ pants are uber easy because I'm able to make them so you'll definetly be able to as well so no worries!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maliaka
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006 11:58:57 AM »

Haha, I forgot about this post I made, that was a looong time ago! Since then I've tried making a pair of fitted - but basic - drawstring pants and failed miserably because I have such a weirdly shaped body and they turned out not so flattering on me! PJ pants I have not tried yet, but now that I know how to sew the seams and cut the pieces out and all that, I bet it'll be a lot easier considering they are supposed to be loose and not fitted. Thanks for the reply!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TAddictedAngelT
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006 03:25:17 PM »

Haha yeah when I posted I got that warning that said it hasnt been posted in for 120 days. I'm glad to help! I love making drawstring pants. Well drawstring anything really. Its the easiest thing. That and a stretchy wasitband. I'm no good at zippers and buttons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xbucket-faeriex
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006 11:03:03 PM »

My mother, a seasoned ballet tutu maker, told me how she sews tulle.
Please excused my exceedingly shoddy terminology.
She does a wide spaced stitch along the edge (can be done by hand or machine) that you are going to sew onto the other fabric, and leaves a length of thread at each end and pulls the thread to gather the tulle and make pleaty things. then you sew the tulle onto where you need it.
 Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Elphelba
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006 08:08:38 AM »

By pants, do you mean like pajamas, or actual pants to wear around? Pajama style pants are really easy. The fact that they have so much ease makes it hart to screw them up too much. I took apart an old pair of pjs that fit well but were worn out, and just made a pattern out of that. Pretty much it was just 4 identical pieces with a casing sewn in for the waist band. Other pants are a bit more tricky. I've heard a lot of people say getting them to fit just right is quite difficult, and I have no experience with that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
Maliaka
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006 11:05:20 AM »

My mother, a seasoned ballet tutu maker, told me how she sews tulle.
Please excused my exceedingly shoddy terminology.
She does a wide spaced stitch along the edge (can be done by hand or machine) that you are going to sew onto the other fabric, and leaves a length of thread at each end and pulls the thread to gather the tulle and make pleaty things. then you sew the tulle onto where you need it.
 Wink

Yes, that's how I finally learned to do it, with a gathering stitch. I find it nightmarish to cut tulle evenly, but sewing it is so easy. Haha. I've learned *so much* since last December, hehe. Smiley

By pants, do you mean like pajamas, or actual pants to wear around? Pajama style pants are really easy. The fact that they have so much ease makes it hart to screw them up too much. I took apart an old pair of pjs that fit well but were worn out, and just made a pattern out of that. Pretty much it was just 4 identical pieces with a casing sewn in for the waist band. Other pants are a bit more tricky. I've heard a lot of people say getting them to fit just right is quite difficult, and I have no experience with that.

I was thinking more like pants to wear out, kind of dressy in style, made with a soft stretchy fabric, with a drawstring or elastic waist, if that makes sense. Smiley My first and only attempt turned out too tight, which will be easy to avoid next time around of course - just make 'em bigger. But I've had trouble with finding pants that fit me properly all my life. I have really weird measurments so I never know what style would be flattering on me.
 PJ pants, on the other hand, I am confident I'll be able to make. Once the weather cools down over here I'd like to make a few!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use 4 Point Tracking - Motion 3
How to Create Basic Replicators - Motion 3
How to Understand Text Behavior - Motion 3
How to Create a Sin City Effect - Apple Color
How to Use the Warper - Shake 4
Latest Blog Articles
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak
Tute Tuesday: July 4th Light Up the Sky Hat
Hooray for the Red, White, and Blue

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...